Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pincus teaming up with former Brady president

Rob Pincus can eat shit. I don't care if he's a member here or not...and yes, I read the above article. These were his words following the NJ magazine ban a few years ago.

“Unfortunately, while the law may eventually be found unjust and overturned, today it is the law. Second Amendment Organization is a staunch advocate of Gun Rights, but those rights are defined by our laws. We believe it is imperative that Responsible Gun Owners follow the law. In this case, that means the New Jersey Gun Owners should comply with the law… and fight it! Part of fighting it involved educating people about why these types of laws have little or no effect in regard to saving lives and why people might want or need large capacity magazines in the first place. 2AO is staunchly against magazine capacity restrictions, as stated in this set of Position Statements. Recommending that New Jersey residents comply with the law is not ‘compromise,’ it is accepting the current reality.” – Rob Pincus
    ETA: Here's an article from @jetfire about it. https://primaryandsecondary.com/sinc...ne-our-rights/
    Last edited by Casual Friday; 01-17-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=Wise_A;982117]Yes. Those people that shouldn't have guns. We're unable to predetermine who shouldn't be allowed to drive, reproduce, or enter the country, but goddammit, you bet we can decide who's going to be a problem with a gun!

Seldom have I engaged in things political here. HOWEVER, the words above are, (apologies for editing your post w/o asking, Wise_A) painful as they may be, the actual history of our country - still the best country, warts and all.
    Last edited by 11B10; 01-17-2020 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post

By "aggressive prison terms," I would be looking for something along the lines of "mere possession during the offense = 5 years," "employing but not discharging a firearm = 10 years," and "discharging a firearm = 15 years," "discharge with injury = 20 years," and so on and so forth.
    That’s bullshit. This only serves to demonize inanimate objects in public eye. If a person deserves to spend a portion of their life in jail, they deserve the same sentence regardless of the tool used.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Bolded text is not entirely true. UBC may keep a restricted person from buying through a FFL provided they've been added to the system. UBC does nothing to stop private sales if people intend to skirt the law.
    Neither do speed limits. I don't think we want to get rid of those do we?
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-17-2020 at 09:50 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

It's still hard for me to argue against background checks. But...

Episode 2 of the Guns Guide to Liberals podcast addresses why background checks are not effective. When we have millions of purchases and 99.9% of them are legal, false positives swamp real positives (actual cases of people illegally trying to buy a gun). Moreover they argue that additional resources allocated to properly supporting background checks could be better used elsewhere to address criminal activity.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    We simply do not know enough about this organization to know if it is a good thing or not. Let’s see some of the specific solutions they propose before we decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    That’s bullshit. This only serves to demonize inanimate objects in public eye. If a person deserves to spend a portion of their life in jail, they deserve the same sentence regardless of the tool used.
    That's where the plea bargains and reduced sentences come in. I think we're talking about a mandatory sentence here. Too many who should be in jail aren't because of plea bargains and light sentences. All these laws would do is make sure the person convicted does the time. As in the example of the robbery with a real gun. Armed robbery is going to get you some more time for sure maybe even shot. Probably the reason so many bank robbers just pass notes these days.

There was a robbery of a bank here and the robber ran from the police. While the robber was running he took a shot at the police. That opened up a whole new can of worms for the robber. Police shot him in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It's still hard for me to argue against background checks. But...

Episode 2 of the Guns Guide to Liberals podcast addresses why background checks are not effective. When we have millions of purchases and 99.9% of them are legal, false positives swamp real positives (actual cases of people illegally trying to buy a gun). Moreover they argue that additional resources allocated to properly supporting background checks could be better used elsewhere to address criminal activity.
    They're finding that out here in WA. I-1639 was an unfunded mandate by initiative. Legislators never had a chance to vote on it or question how it would be funded. I think we had a topic here not long ago where the BC was held up for over a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    In my life I have taught dozens and dozens of new shooters and been directly responsible for at least 4 people's first ever gun purchase. Many, many more have softened to the idea of gun ownership because they know that I understand and respect their views, which led them to understand and respect mine in turn. This would not have been possible if I had dismissed them for having political or ideological differences in belief. Given my experience, I feel strongly there is a lot more opportunity for victory on common ground than not.
    This is how I did it at my workplace:

"Hey Wise_A, what are you doing this weekend?"

"Probly gonna hit the range."

Long pause.

"Like...guns?"

"Yup."

Boom. Done. After a few months of working hard and being conscientious and level-headed, I came out.

One retired hippie wanted to know if I meant "weapons", whereupon I explained that no, they're just guns, and with any luck, I don't have to use them as weapons--kinda like his golf clubs. That was the only debate I ever had. He doesn't like me anymore, but that's okay, because nobody likes him. Another co-worker confided that he got a 686 after a work-related death threat, but wanted to know if I thought he needed a semiautomatic for a larger capacity. I offered to let him try out my 327 R8. Another pulled me aside and asked how she would go about getting a gun and some training, because her charming ex seems to have trouble reading orders of protection. One of the young guys asked me how to get a CCW permit. Yet another wanted to know what she should tell her kids to do if they ever found a gun, and if I would take her and her husband shooting.

So I'm The Gun Guy. And the folks the thought that we're crazy loonies had to reconcile that idea with...well, me. And I think I'm pretty well-liked around the office.

Unfortunately, that is not why purple states are purple. That, too, would be easy. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter what any of my co-workers think, because we're in the Upstate, and it's the Downstate and its 50% of the population that controls state politics. This is why red states are going purple--economic and social forces are draining rural areas and driving people to the cities, where it's easier for machine politics to get out the vote...and frankly, to cheat. Most people are not smart or brave enough to think differently than those around them, especially in the face of constant information inundation.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD
    Seldom have I engaged in things political here. HOWEVER, the words above are, (apologies for editing your post w/o asking, Wise_A) painful as they may be, the actual history of our country - still the best country, warts and all
    One of the things that I love about America is our constant, unceasing belief that we can make things better, not just for ourselves, but for other people. I also believe that that optimism is being exploited by both sides in an increasingly divisive political climate. I find the culture in older gun clubs to be as disgusting as...well, when I was in college.

Hence, I believe that that which governs least, governs best. And that applies to all things, from stuff I like, to stuff I disagree with, to stuff I hate. That's sort of the problem with truly having freedom--sometimes, people do non-criminal shit you don't like, and you can't use government as a club to beat them over the head.

Also, edit away, no harm no foul. Apologies if the original text offended you.

--

PS--Background checks are worthless, evil people will always find a way to get guns, U-Haul trucks, airplanes, and cans of gasoline.

PS PS--I think this Gross dude is probably not Satan, or an Ebil Grabber who thought up a new way to attack us, I just think he doesn't understand the reality of the previous statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    That's where the plea bargains and reduced sentences come in. I think we're talking about a mandatory sentence here. Too many who should be in jail aren't because of plea bargains and light sentences. All these laws would do is make sure the person convicted does the time. As in the example of the robbery with a real gun. Armed robbery is going to get you some more time for sure maybe even shot. Probably the reason so many bank robbers just pass notes these days.

There was a robbery of a bank here and the robber ran from the police. While the robber was running he took a shot at the police. That opened up a whole new can of worms for the robber. Police shot him in the parking lot.

New bad laws don’t fix old bad laws.

You don’t make a dog shit sandwich taste better by layering on some cat shit too.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List