Thread: Precision Rifle Skills - 3/14/20 Culpeper, Va.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar

Precision Rifle Skills - 3/14/20 Culpeper, Va.

Name:  JDC LOGO - FINAL - Clean ver w text - Copy.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  29.9 KB

This course provides the student with the knowledge and skill necessary to make a first round impact at long distance. This course was developed and is presented by experienced, and professionally credentialed instructors who will present knowledge and essential skills to help you achieve your long-range precision rifle training goals. You will be guided and encouraged to develop efficient techniques and effective habits. The range used for this class presents the opportunity to engage targets at 1,000 yards if your rifle is ballistically capable.
    Course Goal: give the rifle shooter the ability to accurately engage targets at long range
    Location:Private Range, Culpeper VA (exact location is provided once student is registered to attend)
    Topics Covered:

• Firearms Safety
    • Rifle Accuracy Fundamentals (to include positions)
    • Angular Measurement & Shooter Math
    • Zero
    • Shot Calling
    • Data Book Use
    • Sling Use
    • Artificial Support Utilization
    • Range Estimation Techniques (to include Laser Range Finders)
    • Effects of Wind (Wind estimation to include Kestrel use)
    • Role of the Spotter
    • Muzzle Velocity Measurement
    • Use of Ballistic Calculators (importance of quality data)
    • Know Distance and Unknown Distance Firing (From 200 yards to 1000 yards)

Course Requirements:Rifle with Sling and Quality Glass (shooter/rifle with optic/& ammunition should be capable of at least 2MOA accuracy or better). Seriously, it would be ideal if you can group less than 1 ½” but no more than 3” at 100 yards or it will be a frustrating day.
    200 Rounds of quality ammunition (more is better). No armor piercing, No bimetal. Quality BTHPs are the way to go here. 6.5s, .260s and other long-range calibers will shine. This course is designed around a .308 caliber precision rifle. Max caliber permitted is .300 Winchester Magnum. If you don’t load your own quality ammunition, we suggest Black Hills or Federal Match or equivalent. 5.56 guns are welcome, realize you will encounter ballistic limitations. 308s that want to go the distance to 1000 yards will be well served with 175gr ammunition.
    Rifle mat, rear bag, artificial support are all great ideas – bring them if you got them.
    While not a requirement – good quality spotting scopes will be invaluable. We will work in spotter/shooter pairs. Everyone will be required to spot either on your gun or on a spotting scope. A lawn chair is also a great idea.
    Rugged dependable bipods (Harris or similar quality) will be invaluable.
    Data book. It does not need to be fancy. Our favorite is a simple Write in the Rain 3”x5” or 5”x8” spiraled note pad.
    Empty chamber/open bolt indicator.
    Your rifle needs to be zeroed. A 100 yard zero is recommended. Your scope needs to be installed at correct eye relief and must be properly leveled. If you do not understand these terms and their importance, we recommend that you go to Elite Shooting Sports and see Rob Jensen before class. He can square you away.
    Bring your scope's owner’s manual to class, especially if you think you may need help in adjusting your optic.
    Optic/Scope recommendations – target turrets and MOA or MIL reticles will work best. Throw levers are a good accessory to variable power optics. A visible bubble level attached to the scope or is another great accessory. Suppressors are welcome. Make sure you have the necessary documentation on hand!
    Services: Outdoor range. Only restrooms are Port-A-Johns.
    Note: Class is limited to 16 students. A one to three instructor to student ratio will be maintained in this course to ensure that each student receives the individual attention needed for the best chance of success.
    3/15/2016

3/15/2016

Oh man, super tempted to sign up, just shot my precision rifle for the first time the other day... Dunno if I would have the skills to be up to par for the course. Super interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Oh man, super tempted to sign up, just shot my precision rifle for the first time the other day... Dunno if I would have the skills to be up to par for the course. Super interested.
    As long as your rifle is zeroed and you can shoot an actual group from a prone position, you've got enough skill to benefit from the class.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    As long as your rifle is zeroed and you can shoot an actual group from a prone position, you've got enough skill to benefit from the class.
    Cool, I need to get back out to Elite Shooting to finish setting up my rifle, only had the chance for the 50 since the 100 was closed. If I can get out sooner than later and confirm then Ill sign up [emoji16].

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Any room for observers?
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Wife said I could go so I'm signed up, need to go zero my rifle at 100 yards sooner than later .

User Tag List