Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pistol shooting — talent vs technique

Talent vs technique? I like 'em both.

Tools, technique, tactics, strategy.

One thing that consistently comes up in sports training is the idea that one must practice with goals in mind. The classic analogy is the difference between a professional and novice golfer. Both take a bucket of 100 balls to the driving range and hit them. A professional, just performed 100 repetitions of practice, the novice just hit 100 golf balls. If you do not recognize and attack with a plan to refine and build your technique, talent or hard work will get you no where.

___

That's why you can't just view them individually. It's also why it is important to work with people are who are better than you at stuff you aren't good at.
    ___

Now that said, talent means something. Talent is really a reflection of the way your brain is wired - people are predisposed to have certain types of response and abilities in certain situations. What I mean by that is - what you're talented at - is looking at something abstract and immediately seeing the complexities of it and possible solutions and problems.

Think about it like playing wallball/handball for a minute. You can train yourself to have all the hand-eye coordination in the world and those skills can be improved dramatically. But all of that coordination does you naught if you cannot anticipate where the ball will come from, based on you watching and processing what is going on. Now, you can get really good by missing a lot and watching and learning. But the best people, have a brain that is wired to let them process it just a little bit faster, with a little bit less experience. And then when those same folks have as much or more experience as you, they will destroy you.
    ___

tl;dr - talent is the way your brain is wired, each person is wired differently. Hard work is important, but it must be done with discipline. Talent is important, but must be tempered with discipline.. You can go the farthest when you have both talent and hard work and it's tempered with discipline. Find whatever you're talented at and pursue it with relentless vigor and you'll be the best at it. If it isn't shooting - eh, whatever.

__

PS: It's important to note, because we have a society that doesn't seem to recognize this. Hard work alone will never make you the best at something. It really won't. You can be really good, you can outwork folks. But those alone will not make you the best. Play to your strengths, identify your weakness and make them less weak, but recognize you cannot be the best at everything or probably even just one thing. There are very, very, very, very, very few elitely talented people. There is only one Warren Buffet, one Lebron James, one Serena Williams, etc.

Good technique reduces the number of things I have to think about. I’m having a good day at a class/match when all I have to think about is “good trigger press”.

A certain underlying athletic ability is required, but not huge amounts.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List