Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Federal "Punch" Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Sigh...

Probably slow fired the other 23 rounds to "verify function" and felt good about it all.
    Definitely, but he fired the other 23 in three range sessions over five years, testing out each of three different micro-9 of the year pistols.

I have tried, and I have failed...
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    They do buy, initially, based on cost though. I can sell a box of critical defense to 75% of folks before a box of PDX1 because the Hornady has 5 more rounds. Doesn’t matter that I’ve explained all the benefits of an FBI approved round. They always buy the cheaper option.
    Them: What’re the odds I’m gonna need to shoot through glass and metal?
    Me: What are the odds you’re going to be in a gunfight in general? Why not prepare for the worst? We’re not talking about a huge price jump...
    Them: I’ll take a box of Critical defense
    Me: EXCELLENT CHOICE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll admit in some ways to being that guy. SG ran a pretty fair deal on Ranger bonded 147's around Christmas. I'm not a huge fan of 147's in 9mm, or necessarily bonded ammo. However, for the money, I figured that would tide me over on carry ammo for a few years.

What I really don't get is if it's more or less an HST, why not just sell the "LE" marked boxes to the general public and not be goofy about it? Problem in search of a solution, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Pics in this page look EXACTLY like HST to me. Cannelure included.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...munition-line/
    They look very similar, but the HST's lead appears to maintain structured ribs while the Punch's lead just mushes. I suspect the HST's sharper edges cut more readily giving a bit more penetration...

Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-22-2020 at 07:21 AM.

@Oddl0t That's interesting. Maybe HST has an alloyed (harder) lead core? The pricing is quite different, so it stands to reason that they've changed something.

Punch is HS Deep without the drag reducing center post.

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Punch is HS Deep without the drag reducing center post.
    Would you please elaborate?
    The jackets are significantly different between the Hydra-Shok Deep and Punch bullets.

It appears that the Punch line is intended to compete with....and compare to... the likes of Hornady's Critical Defense line rather than Critical Duty/Gold Dot/HST.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    They do buy, initially, based on cost though. I can sell a box of critical defense to 75% of folks before a box of PDX1 because the Hornady has 5 more rounds. Doesn’t matter that I’ve explained all the benefits of an FBI approved round. They always buy the cheaper option.
    Them: What’re the odds I’m gonna need to shoot through glass and metal?
    Me: What are the odds you’re going to be in a gunfight in general? Why not prepare for the worst? We’re not talking about a huge price jump...
    Them: I’ll take a box of Critical defense
    Me: EXCELLENT CHOICE

Critical Duty is an FBI Approved round. Critical defense is not. They are similar but not the same.

I’d still rather have Hornady over Winchester, if only due to prior bad experiences with Winchester QC.

I’m guessing Punch is a non bonded version of HST. While the non bonded may save a little on production costs I think the real key is that by rebranding it, they can sell it at a reduced price without devaluing their premium brands like HST and Gold Dot.

I think earlier posters hit the nail on the head - Punch is Federals answer to critical defense
    Last edited by HCM; 01-22-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    It appears that the Punch line is intended to compete with....and compare to... the likes of Hornady's Critical Defense line rather than Critical Duty/Gold Dot/HST.
    I think you are correct.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/Images/punch-ammo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Critical Duty is an FBI Approved round. Critical defense is not. They are similar but not the same.

I’d still rather have Hornady over Winchester, if only due to prior bad experiences with Winchester QC.

I thunk and earlier poster hit the nail on the head - Punch is Federals answer to critical defense
    I didn’t say they were the same (my point was that people will pick the cheap round that doesn’t meet FBI testing based on cost). I was comparing a round that passed FBI testing to one that hadn’t. I would take anything from Federal or CCI before either. Winchester and Hornady are about the same (quality wise) to me.

User Tag List