Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Federal "Punch" Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I’m guessing Punch is a non bonded version of HST. While the non bonded may save a little on production costs I think the real key is that by rebranding it, they can sell it at a reduced price without devaluing their premium brands like HST and Gold Dot.
    HST isn’t bonded...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    HST isn’t bonded...

Technically, no, since it’s not electroplated but they crimp the core to the jacket to achieve the same result. I’m not seeing that crimson the punch ammo.

Regardless, I think the difference in price is more about protecting the value of their premium brands than the difference in production costs.

Federal "Punch" Ammo

Technically, no, since it’s not electroplated but they crimp the core to the jacket to achieve the same result. I’m not seeing that crimson the punch ammo.
    Which Hornady copies with Flexlock. Hornady copied Federal.

Last edited by Sigfan26; 01-22-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Site Supporter
    Which Hornady copies with Flexlock. Hornady copied Federal.

Yes but flexlock bullets are only used in critical duty. So it looks like Hornady copied Federal’s bonded bullet work around and now Federal is copying Honady’s marketing/branding scheme.

Yes but flexlock bullets are only used in critical duty. So it looks like Hornady copied Federal’s bonded bullet work around and now Federal is copying Honady’s marketing/branding scheme.
    How is Federal copying Hornady? Federal HST has been a staple for quite some time. Long before Critical Duty existed.

Federal "Punch" Ammo

How is Federal copying Hornady? Federal HST has been a staple for quite some time. Long before Critical Duty existed.

Oh! You mean fluffing a product! Nobody will surpass Hornady. How many different forms of XTP can a company introduce?

Last edited by Sigfan26; 01-22-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Oh! You mean fluffing a product! Nobody will surpass Hornady. How many different forms of XTP can a company introduce?

Not fluffing - offering a no crimp version of their premium ammo which is just enough different they can sell it cheaper without taking away some of the “premium-ness” of their premium ammo, HST.

Punch appears to have a similar, if not the same, canelure as HST:

Punch 147:

HST 124:
    Name:  df897530-2f6a-4bf2-93d6-8736b324bd98_zps5ca9d266-1.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  30.8 KB
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-23-2020 at 07:32 AM.

If it's posted I missed it... Has anybody called one of their engineering or tech folks and just asked what the difference is?
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    They look very similar, but the HST's lead appears to maintain structured ribs while the Punch's lead just mushes. I suspect the HST's sharper edges cut more readily giving a bit more penetration...

No real intention of ditching my 180 grain HST preferred and 180 grain Gold Dot substitute standard stocking plan but will likely buy some of the 165 grain to play with. Be curious to see how it holds up out of a carbine and if it still works from a Shield/G27. Granted into my block of clear fauxgel but good enough for a basic feel out of sandpit curiosity.

User Tag List