Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Federal "Punch" Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Velo Dog View Post
    Would you please elaborate?
    The jackets are significantly different between the Hydra-Shok Deep and Punch bullets.
    Think you're right, expanded bullets looked very similar at a quick glance save for the post. Looking closer the different cuts and crimping give a different type of expansion also - wider spaced and longer petals.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    but they would be buying ammo that seems to admittedly potentially be less capable. I don't get it.
    I get it. I couldn't give a F less about penetration through windshields or car doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    .38 Special +P 120-grain load at 1,070 fps
    Interesting

A friend just scored 10 boxes of the 124 9mm “Punch” ammo at ~$0.50/round (industry deal) and we will be testing this week. Looks just like an HST, but it has a soft lead core and is probably a lot cheaper to make.

Might make for a good alternative to actually training with HST, which has gotten stupid expensive in the current circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    A friend just scored 10 boxes of the 124 9mm “Punch” ammo at ~$0.50/round (industry deal) and we will be testing this week. Looks just like an HST, but it has a soft lead core and is probably a lot cheaper to make.

Might make for a good alternative to actually training with HST, which has gotten stupid expensive in the current circumstances.

Do people really train with hst?

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Do people really train with hst?
    I always start every range session with a pair to a Gunsite option target at 25 yards, cold, from concealment, with what I’m carrying that day. So, yes. A bit. That works out to only 8-16 rounds/month, after all.

I used to get all caught up in ammo performance- whats the best, etc. Now, I don't care. At the end of the day it's all the same. As long as it reliably ignites and delivers acceptable accuracy, it's fine. The majority of the ammo that "works great for me" is never actually used for its intended purpose. With the huge shifts in what performance is expected out of ammo it seems to me that we can all just shift back to the old XTP and get what we "need", will likely never actually "use", save some cash on "old bullet tech", and move on with our lives.

If I could find some 124gr XTPs @ ≥1150fps I'd order 5 cases once prices dropped a bit and be done buying 9mm HP ammo for a good while. I'd do the same thing for 180gr @ ≥950fps, and 230gr @≥ 875 fps.

Federal Punch looks like an overpriced, watered down HSTish like bullet that Federal put some catchy advertising on to sell for $1.25/round. I'd wager the cheap UMC 115gr JHP will produce similar results when applied equally IRL.

Cue my scolding for 'Ammunition Forum Blasphemy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I always start every range session with a pair to a Gunsite option target at 25 yards, cold, from concealment, with what I’m carrying that day. So, yes. A bit. That works out to only 8-16 rounds/month, after all.
    I’m sitting on a bunch of Federal “Training Match” that is loaded and has POA/POI like HST. I use that to vet my carry setup from time to time.

I’ll also primarily use Lawman (loaded like Gold Dots) for range work unless I’m gaming something.

User Tag List