Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal "Punch" Ammo

Federal "Punch" Ammo

More new stuff from Federal. I assume the 16gr 40 load is a typo. Guessing that should be 165gr.

Federal’s New Punch Personal Defense Ammo Delivers a Knockout
    ANOKA, Minnesota – January 16, 2020

– Federal Ammunition has been a leading producer of law enforcement ammunition for more than thirty years. Drawing on that knowledge, the company recently set out to design a new self-defense load that would provide excellent overall performance from popular carry guns. The result of this effort is one of the most exciting new line of defensive loads to hit the market in years—Federal’s new Punch ammo.

Punch provides a great option for common self-defense scenario use—where performance through more complex duty barriers, like those in the FBI protocol test, are less likely to be a factor.

“Many personal defenders think, ‘If it works for law enforcement then it’s good for me.’ That is a great guideline and still our ultimate recommendation,” said Laack. “But that may add features not required for everyday carry for everyone.”

Federal saw a need for a reliable, accurate, terminally effective option that doesn’t have to be the top scoring product in duty ammunition test procedures.

“Concealed-carry permit holders, especially new shooters, need an uncomplicated answer to the question ‘What ammo do I need for self-defense’,” said Federal Handgun Ammunition Product Manager Chris Laack. “Things to consider such as function, reliable ignition, barrier performance, terminal performance, ballistics and other considerations are a lot to digest for most people. What some consumers really need to know is it will function in their gun, every time, and that it will be effective stopping a threat as quickly as possible. Punch is our easy answer for them.”

Most concealed carry permit holders are less concerned with factors such as barrier penetration through steel, plywood and auto glass and more concerned about choosing a bullet that is engineered from the ground-up to stop an attacker and work effectively in their chosen firearm. And, as the data shows, Punch bullets perform well in the tests that matter most to the average shooter—penetration and expansion through bare gel and heavy clothing. Federal has made Punch ammunition a natural choice for concealed carry.
    What’s more, Punch ammunition features Federal’s smooth-feeding nickel-plated cases, advanced powders, and the sealed reliability of high-quality, sensitive primers. With Punch, self-defenders can be assured its components will do its job when it matters most.

The five new Punch options include a .380 Auto 85-grain offering with a muzzle velocity of 1,000 feet per second, a .38 Special +P 120-grain load at 1,070 fps, a 9mm 147-grain load at 1,150 fps, a .40 S&W 16-grain load at 1,130 fps, and a .45 Auto 230-grain load at 890 fps. What’s more, all these loads will be available immediately, and with MSRPs from $15.95 to $20.95 per box of 20.

Federal ammunition can be found at dealers nationwide or purchased online direct from Federal. For more information on all products from Federal or to shop online, visit www.federalpremium.com.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 01-16-2020 at 06:23 PM.

Be interesting to find out if this is truly something new or an older design renamed

147 grains at 1,150 fps? Is this +P+???

Are those prices significantly cheaper than HST's?
    I haven't had to purchase any LE JHPs lately, I stocked up a couple of years ago and haven't been shooting much.

cc

Site Supporter
    Seems like an answer in search of a problem. Most of the shooters they are targeting this to don't shoot enough defensive ammo for any cost savings to be considerable but they would be buying ammo that seems to admittedly potentially be less capable. I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I don't get it.
    Throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

9mm 124gn hst 20 count msrp $27.95
    9mm 124gn punch 20 count msrp $15.95
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Federal's answer to Hornady Critical Defense...

Maybe HST without the cannaleur.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Seems like an answer in search of a problem. Most of the shooters they are targeting this to don't shoot enough defensive ammo for any cost savings to be considerable but they would be buying ammo that seems to admittedly potentially be less capable. I don't get it.
    They do buy, initially, based on cost though. I can sell a box of critical defense to 75% of folks before a box of PDX1 because the Hornady has 5 more rounds. Doesn’t matter that I’ve explained all the benefits of an FBI approved round. They always buy the cheaper option.
    Them: What’re the odds I’m gonna need to shoot through glass and metal?
    Me: What are the odds you’re going to be in a gunfight in general? Why not prepare for the worst? We’re not talking about a huge price jump...
    Them: I’ll take a box of Critical defense
    Me: EXCELLENT CHOICE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List