Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Q4318 124 gr Nato round questions

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I bought a case a while back and had multiple FTFires across several Glocks. I just wrote it off as hard primers. Went back to Fiocchi and haven’t had any problems.

No, don’t lube your striker channel.

Thanks everyone for the comments. It's nice to know that it's not me. It's a relatively new gun. I'm going to give her a good scrubbing. At club level matches, it's a bonus as far as a failure drill practice session

I'll check into the Lawman rounds. I need something relatively hot to run the comp.

Note: I have NO reduced power striker spring in this firearm or any other firearm that I own. The striker assembly is stock.

When my PD switched to Gen4 Glock 17s a few years ago we had a number of Winchester NATO rounds that would not fully seat in the chamber. This happened during our break in/transition training. Switching to Speer Lawman solved the issue.

I took a few of those rounds and they fed fine in a P226. I never measured the case length so I’m not really much help.

Interesting.

We used Winchester Ranger NATO 124gr as our practice ball ammo for the last who-knows-however many years. I’ve shot thousands of rounds of it (maybe up to 10,000) without any issue, although the cases were very dirty.

Over the last year or so they started issuing us military M882 for practice. I’m wondering if the switch is coincidental to failing standards by Winchester....
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Interesting.

We used Winchester Ranger NATO 124gr as our practice ball ammo for the last who-knows-however many years. I’ve shot thousands of rounds of it (maybe up to 10,000) without any issue, although the cases were very dirty.

Over the last year or so they started issuing us military M882 for practice. I’m wondering if the switch is coincidental to failing standards by Winchester....
    Maybe, or it might be because the military is switching to the new training rounds and the Gummint is passing the remaining M882 to civilian LE agencies at a good price.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I only buy Winchester 9mm cases with the expectation of case geometry being out of spec, in order to test the robustness of various pistols to out of spec cases. Or because it's 9 cents/rd when Walmart is going out of handgun ammo business.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Wanted to do a note on this process. Like I mentioned earlier, I've only run about 500 rounds through this set up. In the past, a few days of training and I would tear down the G34 about every 1000 rounds for a cleaning.

When I pulled the striker out of the channel and cleaned it, it looked like I struck GOLD. There was so much brass shavings in the striker channel that it was shocking. I've cleaned her up, lubed up (except striker channel) and off to the range before the freezing rain / snow tonight.

Hopefully it was just the amount of crap in there and this will alleviate any problems. I will have to keep an eye on this gun and the maintenance schedule. I've always done a thorough cleaning about 1K rounds with other Glocks. This girl might be needy and expect more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I only buy Winchester 9mm cases with the expectation of case geometry being out of spec, in order to test the robustness of various pistols to out of spec cases. Or because it's 9 cents/rd when Walmart is going out of handgun ammo business.
    Not all ammo lines being equal and all, is the NATO load sold at WalMart or are you referring to WWB?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post

it looked like I struck GOLD. There was so much brass shavings in the striker channel that it was shocking.
    That was my experience as well alot of brass shavings after only 100 rounds for me in the USP, glad I only have another 100 left of the case.

I purchased my 500 round case at my local gun shop.

User Tag List