Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Winchester Q4318 124 gr Nato round questions

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    WWB.

Given my experience in corporate America, a company that will turn out the level of poor quality I've seen in WWB likely doesn't have the fundamentals to prevent quality issues in the same basic product just because the label on the box is different. Especially when it's all coming from the same plant. My understanding is that Olin is in the process of taking over management of Lake City currently, but I'd expect that any product under discussion has all come from the Oxford, MS plant for the past 4-5 years at least.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    WWB.

Given my experience in corporate America, a company that will turn out the level of poor quality I've seen in WWB likely doesn't have the fundamentals to prevent quality issues in the same basic product just because the label on the box is different.
    I think that's an erroneous take on ammunition companies (and actually most manufacturing in the gun industry), especially when talking about products marketed for different purposes and mixing in contract specification vs non-contract ammo. WWB != Ranger-T, Federal Champ != Federal HST, and CCI Blazer != CCI Speer Gold Dot.

The thread is about Winchester Q4318, and discussion of ammo in that context should be limited to Q4318, instead of referencing other lines of ammo as if they're the same thing.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-17-2020 at 06:22 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In the last few years I've gone through about 5000 rounds of Q4318. I get Lawman 124 at work, and I supplement it with Q4318 so that a good chunk of my practice is with a round that feels pretty much like my 124+P carry ammo.

I've had zero problems with the Winchester stuff; it's been clean, reliable, and accurate. I will soon retire from the PD (losing my Lawman supply), and my state may soon crush our spirits with CA-style ammo legislation. I just bought two cases of Q4318 in ammo cans, and I'm thinking of buying a LOT more -- perhaps a 5-year supply of it for training. My biggest hesitation is where the hell I'm going to store it all...

Site Supporter
    I've shot a relatively minimal amount of the 4318, and have been absolutely happy with it. If the price was right, I'd buy it all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Winchester’s QC has been spotty for several years compared to Speer and federal.

Several years ago my Agency has to designate several hundred thousand rounds of 147 grain Ranger 9mm Duty Ammo as “training only” ammo after multiple failures to fire in stock Glocks.
    In the 12-13k rounds of 9mm I've run in the last 8-9 months, the only real issue I've had has been with Federal. I realize it's nowhere near the top of the pack in terms of quality, but I bought a couple cases of the black pack when it was on rebate, and in the 1500 or so rounds of the stuff I've shot through both of my 92's, I've had numerous failures to extract. At first I thought maybe it was just the compact and having recently had the slide finished, but when the M9 started in on it, too.

User Tag List