Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Q4318 124 gr Nato round questions

Winchester Q4318 124 gr Nato round questions

I ended up build a G19.5 with a comp. Full build details: G19.5, Zev Citidel slide, Zev threaded barrel, Zev comp, Trijicon RM06, Overwatch Precision Tac flat faced trigger, stock striker spring.

I ran over a hundred rounds in a match last night and had 3 striker hits that did not go bang. My thoughts are that I don't have a lot of reps on the weapon, just shy of 500 rounds. It might just need to cleaned and lube, I might need to pull the striker assembly and clean the striker channel.

Do you lube your striker channel or leave it dry?

Then again it could be hard primers?

While we are at this question on this ammo, do these NATO rounds offer any special considerations as far as reloading? I'm a reloader, but have 5 gallon pal after 5 gallon pal of brass. Is this worth keeping as reloading brass or is it better to just leave it at the range because the NATO round has a different kind of crimp?

I have 3000 rounds of this stuff since it runs the comp well and I'm happy with the accuracy.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Site Supporter
    I have not run across any crimped 9mm brass in a while. You can normally look at a primer and see the crimp is it has it.

Never. Ever. Evereverevereverever. Put lube in the striker channel. The striker cups are plastic and are contacting plastic. Never put oil in the purge hole, don’t lubriate the striker or FPS. Follow the Glock lubrication recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Q4318 cartridge has a slight primer crimp. About 80% will let you insert a primer without problem, that other 20% will have you leaving the reloading shed for Mexican and margaritas. It’s great brass if you take the time to run it thru a decrimping operation of some sort. It’s probably the equal to Starline for accuracy, I don’t know if it’s as durable because I’m too old to spend much time searching for spent 9mm brass at the range. I still use a single stage press and am just reloading to be doing something, if I want quantity I go buy another case of loaded ammo.

I have shot Q4318 in a bunch of different pistols without the first problem. Does your pistol have a reduced power striker spring?
    Last edited by Rick R; 01-15-2020 at 09:34 PM.

1) Don't lube your striker channel.

2) Take all the aftermarket fire control parts out of your Glock.

3) During The Panic, I ordered enough Q4138 I really thought the UPS guy was going to call me in on some kind of anonymous tip line. I've had zero issues with it.

4) Can you really save money loading 9mm unless you have a pretty high speed Dillon press?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I've gone through a couple of cases of this ammo and I like it. It does have pretty hard primers, though. The only striker-fired 9x19 gun I have is a stock (except for sights) Walther P99C and it is 100% with this ammo. I've had light strikes using an 11 lb. hammer spring (the lightest available) in a PX4, but going to a 12 lb. spring fixed that.

The brass is good for reloading once the primer crimp is removed. IMO it's much better quality than WWB brass.

I am running through a 500 round case of Winchester NATO 124 myself and had three failure to fire in my USP FS last night.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    I am running through a 500 round case of Winchester NATO 124 myself and had three failure to fire in my USP FS last night.
    Winchester’s QC has been spotty for several years compared to Speer and federal.

Several years ago my Agency has to designate several hundred thousand rounds of 147 grain Ranger 9mm Duty Ammo as “training only” ammo after multiple failures to fire in stock Glocks.

I had a few within the last few months. It’s not isolated so I switched to Lawman 124.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm...

Since Gmail keeps everything, I was able to ascertain I bought that ammo in 2009.

Boy time flies.

Since then I've had more than a couple issues with Winchester ammo.

So belay my last.

The ammo may be the problem.

I'm almost to the bottom of it, so it's time to make the UPS guy suspicious again. Guess I'll cross Q4138 off the list.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List