Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi-auto shotgun for hunting and sporting?

Semi-auto shotgun for hunting and sporting?

I've been thinking of buying a general purpose semi-auto 12 ga shotgun and while reading about shotguns in this section I found this thread.

I do have a few questions for those in the know:

Should I stay with the same type of shotgun for the same manual of arms? I have an 18.5" HK imported Benelli M1 Super 90 that I really like. So the self-defense shotgun is covered. Best to stay with a semiautomatic Benelli for the same controls?

I found a A400 28" barrel chambered for 3.5" locally for $1100. Seems like a good deal?

What about barrel length? There's a 24" Beretta 1301 available locally as well for $850.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I would look at the new Beretta 1301 Comp Pro, and otherwise a Benelli is always a safe choice.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Is “sporting” clay sports or multi-gun?

Site Supporter
    If a general purpose Clays and hunting shotgun, the Remington 1100 that can be found all over America is tried and true option - somewhat dated and not the best but a solid choice. Just keep it lubricated. I have run many shells trough 1100s and currently have 20 and 28 gauge Sporting Clay models.

Older Beretta 303, 390s, 391s, and 3901s are great choices and available on the used market. I have a Beretta 391 Sporting Clays and foolishly sold a Beretta 390 Sporting Clays to a friend (I wish I had it back!).

I cannot justify the prices of current new semiauto shotguns and would suggest buying used if possible.

As far as barrel length, I am a fan of longer barrels since I shoot Sporting Clays so my autos are 30 inch and for general purpose I would not go below 28 (that is my personal choice - other mays go shorter).
    Last edited by ranger; 01-15-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Is “sporting” clay sports or multi-gun?
    Sporting clays.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would look at the new Beretta 1301 Comp Pro, and otherwise a Benelli is always a safe choice.
    I haven't had a chance to check out a 1301, are the controls in the same place as the Benelli?
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 01-16-2020 at 12:02 AM.

My wife and I are both shooting Beretta A400 Extreme Pluses for clays and upland birds, turkey, and I would have zero issues for using them for defensive shooting, hogs, or just about anything.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    My wife and I are both shooting Beretta A400 Extreme Pluses for clays and upland birds, turkey, and I would have zero issues for using them for defensive shooting, hogs, or just about anything.
    Not wanting to get too heavily invested in something we weren’t sure we’d like, my wife and I are similarly both shooting a300 Outlander Synthetic, but for sporting clays only at this point. We have also been extremely happy with them and have had zero issues. I just received what I think is my second case of shells, and I think I’m at about 600 through my gun and 400 through the wife’s. I may have bought the odd box here or there pushing my round count closer to 1k.

I keep eyeballing the a400 Xcel Parallel Target, but as yet haven’t been able to justify the cost in my mind given the relative success we are having with the a300s at about 40% of the price.

Either way, IMO, you can’t go wrong with a Beretta at whatever your price point. It’s rare to be able to buy the dead cheapest model of a particular make of anything and not find it lacking. We bought the least expensive beretta shotgun model and we have zero complaints.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I haven't had a chance to check out a 1301, are the controls in the same place as the Benelli?
    Not all. The shell release button on the Benelli is in a different place and the 1301 has a much larger shell release latch.
    3/15/2016

I just picked up a Benelli Montefeltro Sporting to get back into sporting clays. Had a Browning Maxus carbon fiber and shot easily 6-7k shells through it. Had a Weatherby o/u there new sporting model. Nice gun, adjustable comb. Figure out what you want to spend, and just put your hands on some guns for fit, shoulder mount etc. Benelli. Browning. Beretta. Remington. Hell I will even admit I played with the Mossberg 930 sporting edition for while with briley chokes.

User Tag List