Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tunnel Vision / Auditory Exclusion

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Be careful where you park.

I've been privileged to have had a couple of cab rides on trains. Even on those, the stupid shit that people did was frightening. People seem to think that trains can stop quickly; they can't.

When my sister was in college, she did a story about railroad engineers who had seen fatal crashes and suicides. These days, those guys would probably be diagnosed as having PTSD.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've been privileged to have had a couple of cab rides on trains. Even on those, the stupid shit that people did was frightening. People seem to think that trains can stop quickly; they can't.

When my sister was in college, she did a story about railroad engineers who had seen fatal crashes and suicides. These days, those guys would probably be diagnosed as having PTSD.
    This was in the news the other day.

https://www.newsweek.com/other-train...ression-305999
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I spend a lot of time on the range. A lot. I am constantly working fundamentals, manipulations and all of the things I think I might need should I need to utilize my firearm.

When it actually happened, I remember watching myself, as though I was out of my own body performing a tactical reload after shooting fourteen rounds. It felt slow, I have no clue if it actually was. I also remember thinking to myself, man, these guns shot aren't loud, at all. Its just a muffled pop, pop, pop and then your hearing suddenly comes back. What's really creepy is how quickly your body reacts to filter out potential damage yet goes back to "stasis" so to speak when the event is over. I remember being able to hear myself loud and clear on the radio as I put out a few transmissions..at least until the friggin fire alarm went off lol!

I think the reality is that the human body is going to react passively and its going to do what it does. I think that your training and experience will determine how much your bodies autonomous features affect your ability to perform.

My last foot chase this past week had me running down the middle of a damned crowded main road within my city. Thankfully, it was 0016 hours and the traffic was relatively light. I will admit that I checked traffic both ways before taking off after her but once I was running her down I TOTALLY tunneled on her. I can see how that guy got whacked by a train and I feel for him.
    Last edited by Magsz; 01-16-2020 at 10:59 PM.

I used to operate a live fire indoor video simulator. Here's a link to a TV story on the simulator done by a local reporter. At 30 seconds in on one simulation of a room clearing, a clearly unarmed guy comes into view with his hands up high yelling "Don't shoot, Don't shoot!". I can't tell you how often this unarmed yelling guy got shot. When we asked the shooter after the run if they heard that first guy in the hallway saying anything, they shooters invariably responded that they could not recall the first guy in the video saying anything and they shot him on "instinct". Watch for yourself, classic "tunnel vision", and "tunnel hearing".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n47mpa8Fhg

User Tag List