Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul Hunter Stock for Savage 110 Short Action

Site Supporter
    Of course they did after I bought more expensive chassis. If you want replacement stock for Savage SA - I suggest you look at the Oryx. I have built three now - two 223 Wylde, one 6CM. Have 6 Dasher waiting on BF sale now.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Or maybe just set back to freshen up the 243. But this is more my path to both 6.5CM and experimenting with doing the Savage barrel swapping.
    Or stay with .243/6mm caliber and go 6 Creedmoor.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I found locally a Savage BVSS in 223 with fluted stainless barrel very cheap - am using it "as is" for now but it may end up being a donor for 6mm something in future. I got a "Cabelas only" Savage 10 in 223 (but available in 308 and 6.5Cm) with heavy barrel, threaded, Accutrigger, and Accustock that I just put in a chassis - that is about the cheapest way I know to get into a "poor man's" PRS like rifle.
    I ended up disassembling the Savage BVSS 223 - sold stock and barrel on eBay for more than I paid for rifle. Bought a 26inch 223 Wylde 1-7 M24 SS barrel and installed it myself with go/no gauges. It shoots really well and is my PRS trainer with 80grain ELDM/SMKs. Put into Oryx chassis. Went so well picked up another Savage SA and built my shooting buddy a clone. Savages may be "cheap" but they are easy to work on and amazingly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Or stay with .243/6mm caliber and go 6 Creedmoor.
    I thought about that, but I sure have a lotta 243 stuff if I was going to do that. Who knows, I need to quit buying impulsive stuff and get on this project.

Bought a 26inch 223 Wylde 1-7 M24 SS barrel and installed it myself with go/no gauges.
    What brand?
    Savages may be "cheap" but they are easy to work on and amazingly accurate.
    I think they might be the rare occurrence of Good and Cheap coexisting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I thought about that, but I sure have a lotta 243 stuff if I was going to do that. Who knows, I need to quit buying impulsive stuff and get on this project.

What brand?

I think they might be the rare occurrence of Good and Cheap coexisting.
    Snipers Hide has been my enabler for long range stuff on their PX area. Gentleman there was selling new 224V, 223Wylde, or 6.5CM barrels for $230 shipped each - I bought two of the 223Wylde with 1-7 twist - I suspect they are Shaw. They shoot well and the 223 Wylde chamber lets me load 75 or 80 ELDMs or 80SMK to 2.5inch length in a MDT AICS style mag.

I recently picked up a lightly used 6mm Dasher CBI barrel for Savage small shank for another project.

Snipers Hide has been my enabler for long range stuff on their PX area.
    Hmmmm, maybe I should sign up to start getting email notifications like I get from AdventureRider and DooTalk, and ArcheryTalk, and....

Gentleman there was selling new 224V, 223Wylde, or 6.5CM barrels for $230 shipped each - I bought two of the 223Wylde with 1-7 twist - I suspect they are Shaw.
    That sounds like a nice deal. I have been thinking about just getting a 6.5CM barrel and putting it on my long action that has a silly skinny 7mmRemMag barrel on it right now.

They shoot well and the 223 Wylde chamber lets me load 75 or 80 ELDMs or 80SMK to 2.5inch length in a MDT AICS style mag.
    So long 223 in a 308 length mag, good idea. I also recently picked up a buttload of 77gSMKs so I got that going for me.

I recently picked up a lightly used 6mm Dasher CBI barrel for Savage small shank for another project.
    I have often thought I should just troll for Savage short actions and just buy em up and re-barrel.

Site Supporter
    Trick is to buy a Savage short action with 223 or 308 bolt face (preferably with top bolt release but bottom bolt release works too) with AccuTrigger, heavy barrel, and better stock (AccuStock) for $500 or so. Then disassemble (assumes you have the vise, wrench for barrel nut). Step 3 is sell the heavy barrel on eBay (example of bidding drives up price) and also the stock. End state is a SA action for less than $200 (maybe "free"). Buy a barrel from Shaw, NSS, etc. Assemble yourself with action vise, barrel nut wrench, plus go/nogo gauges (got mine from NSS). Get a stock-chassis that enables you to use AICS type mags (I use MDT mags) - I use Oryx chassis for Savage SA. Screw it all together then add scope rail, rings, scope of your choice. Brake of your choice. Off to the races.

Site Supporter
    Trick is to buy a Savage short action with 223 or 308 bolt face (preferably with top bolt release but bottom bolt release works too) with AccuTrigger, heavy barrel, and better stock (AccuStock) for $500 or so. Then disassemble (assumes you have the vise, wrench for barrel nut). Step 3 is sell the heavy barrel on eBay (example of bidding drives up price) and also the stock. End state is a SA action for less than $200 (maybe "free"). Buy a barrel from Shaw, NSS, etc. Assemble yourself with action vise, barrel nut wrench, plus go/nogo gauges (got mine from NSS). Get a stock-chassis that enables you to use AICS type mags (I use MDT mags) - I use Oryx chassis for Savage SA. Screw it all together then add scope rail, rings, scope of your choice. Brake of your choice. Off to the races.
    There was an article in one of the gun culture mags (as opposed to the older fudd mags) about doing something similar from the perspective of building a gun for your kid that would grow with them.

Chris

Another option is to buy a Remington or Remington clone action and go with a Remage setup. The nice part about the Remington is that the options are endless...stocks, triggers, bottom metal and magazines.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

The inveterate tinkerer in me should never have opened this blankety-blank thread.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List