View Poll Results: Which one for your only heavy pistol/carbine combo?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • .44 Magnum

46 79.31%
  • .45 Colt

12 20.69%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: .44 Magnum vs. .45 Colt Magnumized

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    a dual turbo RX-7?
    My father-in-law also had an RX-7 with speakers in the headrests, in addition to the 625 I inherited.

80s hi-tech!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    You already have a Smith 625.
    The 45 Auto Rim is an interesting proposition in the 625. For one thing, you can get a 250-grain bullet going 1,000 fps and not have to worry about someone shooting that ammo in a 1911.

With 250-grain bullets in my 4” Model of 1989, I got the best results with a heavy roll crimp and 45 AR cases. Most 45 ACP dies will give you a roll crimp if you screw them down far enough, but that puts a massive taper crimp on the case first. That can screw up the driving band on a SWC, which opens up groups. The crimping shoulder in a 45 Colt die is too high for the AR case to reach, so I got a buddy to cut the bottom half-inch or so off of a spare 45 Colt crimp die. It looks kinda hillbilly, but it makes a proper roll crimp without the taper crimp and those loads were demonstrably more accurate in that gun.

John Taffin has published good cast-bullet load data for the 45 AR. There's also a cult of 625 owners on the S&W forum. Those guys have lots expertise in using heavy cast bullets in the 45 AR.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks again to all posters in the thread.

A coda:

So now I know I have a revolver, and a carbine, capable of my stated goals. They just don't share a chambering. Fine.

When I do get some higher horsepower guns, I think I will be looking at a .454 Cassul chambered revolver and carbine, downloaded into .44 mag territory.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Bumping this up.

The great thing about .44s and .45s in terms of effectiveness, is that they really do not require tops speeds. 900-1100 FPS and a heavy slug will pretty much do all that needs done in most cases. This not only applies to revolvers, but for autos as well.

A .45 Colt 250 grain projectile at 900-950 FPS has long been known as an extremely effective man and animal stopper. A .45 ACP using a heavy for caliber projectile, such as a 250-255 grain flat point at the same speed tends to be quite effective as well.

In todays age of "9mm is just as good as .40 cal, which is just as good as a .45, which is just as good as a .50" line of thinking, we seem to have forgotten that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Bumping this up.

The great thing about .44s and .45s in terms of effectiveness, is that they really do not require tops speeds. 900-1100 FPS and a heavy slug will pretty much do all that needs done in most cases. This not only applies to revolvers, but for autos as well.

A .45 Colt 250 grain projectile at 900-950 FPS has long been known as an extremely effective man and animal stopper. A .45 ACP using a heavy for caliber projectile, such as a 250-255 grain flat point at the same speed tends to be quite effective as well.

In todays age of "9mm is just as good as .40 cal, which is just as good as a .45, which is just as good as a .50" line of thinking, we seem to have forgotten that.
    I seem to recall reading a post by Darryl Bolke about how his department had a great deal of success with the +P 230gr HST.

IIRC that one clocks in around 950fps

While I have no concerns carrying a vetted 9mm JHP, if the stupid law that is in the senate comes to pass here (magazine restrictions) I will also have few concerns carrying a 1911, Glock 30, HK45 or M&P45 or any other type of .45 that can launch a +P 230gr JHP.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Bumping this up.

I remember reading that a key War Department requirement for the 45 Colt cartridge was the ability to kill a horse at 100 yards, which makes sense given that the US was in the middle of exterminating the Plains Indians at that time. The original 45 Colt load moved a pointed 255-grain bullet at 1,050 fps, which was later cut by a couple of hundred feet per second. Either way, if it will kill a horse, then it will kill anything smaller with ease.

Upgrade bullet design to a flat-nose SWC and performance gets even better.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Fwiw I'm really enjoying my m625 mg. I just sent the cylinder to TK customs for moon clip milling.

I'm thinking it might be my competition gun next year if it shoots ACP well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Fwiw I'm really enjoying my m625 mg. I just sent the cylinder to TK customs for moon clip milling.

I'm thinking it might be my competition gun next year if it shoots ACP well enough.
    I always wanted to do this, then try it out with 45 Win Mag in a moon clip.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I remember reading that a key War Department requirement for the 45 Colt cartridge was the ability to kill a horse at 100 yards, which makes sense given that the US was in the middle of exterminating the Plains Indians at that time. The original 45 Colt load moved a pointed 255-grain bullet at 1,050 fps, which was later cut by a couple of hundred feet per second. Either way, if it will kill a horse, then it will kill anything smaller with ease.

Upgrade bullet design to a flat-nose SWC and performance gets even better.

Okie John
    The German army used about 3 million horses during WWII so that was a feature for many years to come

OP either will get the work done, pick the one you like the most. M29's are much, much easier to find in .44 than in .45.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I always wanted to do this, then try it out with 45 Win Mag in a moon clip.
    Not sure if that would work in a Smith. The win mag is a 40k cup or psi cartridge
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List