View Poll Results: Which one for your only heavy pistol/carbine combo?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • .44 Magnum

46 79.31%
  • .45 Colt

12 20.69%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 Magnum vs. .45 Colt Magnumized

If I can find a reliably-feeding long gun, then, .45 Colt. My first try did not go so well, with a ‘92 Mirokuchester. My second try is with a ‘94 Angle Eject.

The damage done to my right wrist and thumb, in the Eighties, by shooting an S&W 629 with K/L-sized hands, has forever turned me away from any .44 Magnum.

An easier poll choice, for me, would have been .357 Magnum, for which I have a Ruger No. 1, a Browning ‘92, and several Ruger and S&W revolvers.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Or... maximize the performance of your .357 lever gun...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    If I can find a reliably-feeding long gun, then, .45 Colt. My first try did not go so well, with a ‘92 Mirokuchester. My second try is with a ‘94 Angle Eject.

The damage done to my right wrist and thumb, in the Eighties, by shooting an S&W 629 with K/L-sized hands, has forever turned me away from any .44 Magnum.

An easier poll choice, for me, would have been .357 Magnum, for which I have a Ruger No. 1, a Browning ‘92, and several Ruger and S&W revolvers.
    This last Saturday I took my 4" 29 to the range. My typical range load isn't in magnum territory. However, I did have a dozen genuine Elmer style loads lying on a shelf and I decided to get rid of them. Years of copious boomer shooting in my younger days have given me the typical arthritic issues, so I rarely go top end anymore. Those twelve rounds were left from a box of fifty I loaded up about two years ago. After fifty of the normal range fodder I fired off the twelve heavy rounds. I put on a shooting glove for that but five days later the pain in my right hand remains. I think I'm done with hot lead masochism.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by kihnspiracy View Post
    If you reload, .45 Colt. If you don't .44 mag/.44special is easier to find.
    That's my takeway so far. I would love a .45 ACP/.45 Colt for cheap ammo and then I'm building a "family" since I have a 5" 625 already.

The problem with .454 is I might actually shoot .454 out of it, which seems like a bad idea for my poor hands.(all flavors of .45 is a really cool idea, however)

Do normal Redhawks really suck? I like the idea of the .45ACP/Colt model.

I have a feeling a 629 or SRH at a low price might make me go .44, despite all this. And I see those for sale all the time. Coulda scored a nicely tuned SRH .44 with scope and custom shoulder holster for $850 last year. And if I ever come across a 5" 629, I will have to get it if I have the cash.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

That's a thought.

If .357 Maximum guns were common, I'd go that route.

Shot a Contender .357 Max. 10" barrel once. I swear that sucker sounded like a Star Wars blaster.

Hmm. .350 Legend pistol/rifle combo.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    That's a thought.

If .357 Maximum guns were common, I'd go that route.

Shot a Contender .357 Max. 10" barrel once. I swear that sucker sounded like a Star Wars blaster.

Hmm. .350 Legend pistol/rifle combo.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Read the post at the link. It’s just getting the most out of the 357 Magnum, not upticking to the Max.
    Though the Maximum is AMAZING in a 16” Contender.

I can see where my title could be misleading.

Neither. The .41 Magnum all the way, eh?

I ran mirror image Redhawks against each other, loaded to the gills. A 7-1/2 in stainless 45 Colt, one of the first built in that caliber, and an identical 44 magnum. I used Lyman 452651 325 gr GC design in the 45, and Lymans 429650 300 gr GC. This was as close as I could get to an exact match. My final determination was that there wasn't a measurable difference between them performance-wise. I could match the velocities without much effort, and the accuracy & power were indistinguishable. The 45 seemed to recoil more, but the bullet was almost 10% heavier, so that was easily explained. Now I was playing with over book loads in both of them, and they both rattled me really well. In the end, I sold off the 45 & kept the 44. The only difference to me came from something that Elmer Keith once said about the cylinder walls in the chamber area being thicker. So I sold the 45 to a friend, and have been trying to buy it back ever since. He passed on the heavy weight bullet mould for it though.

I now have a Lyman 429649 mould for the 44, and am considering buying another 45 Colt Redhawk, a 452651, and re-running the whole thing with everything on even footing. The problem is that I want that Redhawk, not a different one, and he still won't sell. It's been almost 20 years now. Unfair.

I’m opting for a .45 LC. But that has as much to do with .45 LC being a classic SA sixgun chambering as anything else.

For hot barn burners and you want factory loads - if you aren’t going to use Buffalo Bore or Garrett as your hot load source, just go .44 Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Read the post at the link. It’s just getting the most out of the 357 Magnum, not upticking to the Max.
    Though the Maximum is AMAZING in a 16” Contender.

I can see where my title could be misleading.
    I read it, then drifed into my usual desire for a straightwall (for handloading simplicity) case ,357Max to .35 Rem power-level cartridge.

I like the idea, but I will still want a big-bore combo after implementing it.

As to .41Mag, when I find a N-frame in in .41 at the same price as a .44 can go for, sure! It's the caliber snob's caliber.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List