View Poll Results: Which one for your only heavy pistol/carbine combo?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • .44 Magnum

46 79.31%
  • .45 Colt

12 20.69%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .44 Magnum vs. .45 Colt Magnumized

I own 44 Magnums because I like S&W Model 29's and Ruger Flattops.

I own 45 Colts because I like Ruger Bisley's and S&W Model 25's.

Either cartridge will drive a 250-300gr bullet to 1000fps and that is all the power I need, or want, in a revolver cartridge these days, after years of pounding my wrists with heavy recoil.

Buy the gun that makes you happy; whether it is a 44 Magnum or a 45 Colt is largely irrelevant, particularly if you are a hand loader.

Edited to add: I never had extraction issues with my Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt when using Starline brass. Some off-brand brass from gunshow reloads I picked up had very small rims, and those resulted in some failures-to-extract from a dirty chamber in the 1894, but standardizing all my brass to Starline fixed that problem.
    Last edited by oregon45; 01-15-2020 at 10:50 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I suppose if I had to have only one, it'd be the .45 Colt. Not because I enjoy shooting it that much more, but because I enjoy loading for it that much more. It's hard to explain, but it's just more fun. But I don't have to choose just one, so I didn't.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

In my younger years I was really into big boomer revolvers and did a lot of load experimentation with the .45 Colt. While it's still a favorite, these days my hands down choice would be the .44 magnum. Overall I can do whatever I want with both of them through handloading. However, I can walk into almost any shop in the world that sells ammo and find .44 mag on the shelf, not so with. 45 Colt.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Attachment 47258

I’m not feeling a lot of motivation to go bigger than the .357, personally. These will do everything needed from a Magnum in my area.

If I ever do go bigger, it will probably be just a case of “I wantsit” not a need, so it will be whatever is making me feel the wants. B/C of wrist pain, it will be something that can be fired most of the time without being a beast, even if I’m not handloading. Thus, it will probably be a .45LC, not a .44 Magnum.
    That's kinda where I'm at, but with more Ruger. I got out of the .430 business, selling some .444 Marlin rifles and my 629. All I have left is some .44 ammo and bullets that still need to get sold.

For some reason, though, I've started looking at Model 25s lately. This thread has me rethinking that.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

No difference between the two other than platforms and consistend cyl throats.

I have both. Shot the crap out of both. Favorite short guns are S&W M69 and Freedom Arms M97. Have Rossi .44 Mag 16" carbine and 20" .454 Carbine (also shoots .45 Colt) -- just no real difference until you get into .454.
    U
    I've settled on the .44 Mag. No reason other than I shoot a bunch of different guns in that caliber.

Here are some pictures of the guns:

FA97 4 1/4" .45 Colt

S&W M69 2 3/4" M69 (5 shot L Frame), 4" M329 Ti/SC, 6" M629

Some chrono results:

Buffalo Bore, 305 LBT LFN HC rated 1,325 fps
    Underwood, 305 LFNGC Plated (HiTech?) rated 1,325 fps
    LabRadar muzzle velocity at 33 deg F

S&W M69 2.75" ===> BB 1,195 fps ===> Under 1,147fps
    S&W M69 4.25" ===> BB 1,276 fps ===> Under 1,248 fps
    Ruger SRH 7.5" ===> BB 1,395 fps ===> Under 1,315 fps

FWIW,

Paul
    Last edited by paul105; 01-15-2020 at 11:14 PM.

Man, I wish I could afford a Freedom Arms. Well I guess I could if I really wanted but I could get 3 Blackhawks for the price and probably never wear out the first one. I guess what I really want is to be cool enough to justify a FA. Yeah, just a bunch of land, a couple really fancy six-guns, and a single room cabin with a bed and a reloading press.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Man, I wish I could afford a Freedom Arms. Well I guess I could if I really wanted but I could get 3 Blackhawks for the price and probably never wear out the first one. I guess what I really want is to be cool enough to justify a FA. Yeah, just a bunch of land, a couple really fancy six-guns, and a single room cabin with a bed and a reloading press.
    Add an appropriate rifle and shotgun, and a dog, and I’m there.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Add an appropriate rifle and shotgun, and a dog, and I’m there.
    I already have a nice sporterized Mauser and a Savage 99 plus a bunch of H&R singles...
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

If you reload, .45 Colt. If you don't .44 mag/.44special is easier to find.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    I already have a nice sporterized Mauser and a Savage 99 plus a bunch of H&R singles...
    Winchester Model 70 .270, Marlin 1894 .357, Ithaca 37 Featherlight 12g.

User Tag List