Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Are Ruger's new models...which are all fairly "niche-y" in their configuration and/or caliber...to grow the revolver market, or to sell additional guns to people who already have .357 Magnum GP100's and SP101's?
    I would suppose some combination plus the goal of converting some number of S&W customers, etc.

Regardless, I think that market is a bit wider than just PF.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Everyone around here envies a huge collection of sixguns.
    @OlongJohnson, Good one.

(But please don't quote and alter my posts without making it clear that you've done so. One or another time it may or may not be so obvious to others that it was simply a clever play on words, and not what I had written originally.)
    Last edited by blues; 01-15-2020 at 04:20 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Ive always had a few revolvers. Carried a detective special here and there 10 years ago. Ive always used .45 colts for woods use.

Ive switched to revolvers for carry as an experiment. I really enjoyed it and after a year and a half i feel confident that i can do nearly anything i need to do with a k frame.

Site Supporter
    After decades of carrying exclusively bottom feeders as belt guns, I now, thanks to our new Sheriff, have two revolvers on the books as authorized off-duty guns.
    The 442 is, for now, strictly a pocket gun and the 3” M64 NY-1 goes in the waistband at 3:30.
    The muzzle ends of the fat Glock slides press against the nerve in my hip. Even though the revolver weighs a little more, it is actually somewhat more concealable and the smaller round barrel doesn’t bother my hip.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 01-15-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    After decades of carrying exclusively bottom feeders as belt guns, I now, thanks to our new Sheriff, have two revolvers on the books as authorized off-duty guns.
    The 442 is, for now, strictly a pocket gun and the 3” M64 NY-1 goes in the waistband at 3:30.
    The muzzle ends of the fat Glock slides press against the nerve in my hip. Even though the revolver weighs a little more, it is actually somewhat more concealable and the smaller round barrel doesn’t bother my hip.
    Going out of town with my family this weekend. I will carrying my 3" 65 and a j frame because my 26 or 19 I would normally carry aren't as comfortable. I'm comfortable with my decision. It's been mentioned earlier my revolvers are up to most any task that may come up.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I made the switch from jeans to cargo pants a few years ago and haven't looked back. And I wore nothing but jeans forever. Once I appreciated the freedom of functional pockets I was sold. I'd never have thought so, but it was easy. (It's made easier since such attire is the norm around here, so nothing about it says "gun".)

I initially experienced problems with pocket carry and jeans. I kept working with the Nemesis and my 340, and although that now works, I had to solve a new problem: When I do wear jeans, I have to put my wallet in a back pocket (used to keep it in my right front pocket). At the same time, I'm transitioning into cargos, where the Nemesis shines. The wallet I'm using works with both types of pants. Just to cover everything, I just bought an Icon holster from Harry's Holsters for more familiar (to me, anyway) AIWB. For $49.99, it includes DCC clips. Progress!

As to what the normal attire around my area is, many guys, of all ages, wear cargos where I live. I think it's now as common as jeans. Personally, I've always valued function over form and the cargos are #1 in that respect. Guess that's what happens when you get to my age - you really DON'T care.
    Last edited by 11B10; 01-15-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Revolvers are easy...! I have reached a point where carrying an autoloader has become... tedious. Need to run to the store? Drop the LCR in a pocket and go verses am I wearing the right belt or do I need a cover garment, etc.? Tedious even with a P365. I also got a lesson in public perception this past hunting season. I hunted in eastern North Carolina where the mean elevation is about 6 inches above sea level and about 10 snakes per square foot of dry land along with bears, alligators and bigfoot. It was prudent to carry a sidearm anytime you stepped into the woods/swamp, I carried my GP 44 everywhere. Loggers moved in and started cutting right in the middle of the season and I had daily interaction with a couple of them. As we were shooting the bull during lunch one day, a guy from the neighboring hunting club stopped to ask a few questions. After he left the logger asked to the wind and not anyone in particular "wonder why he was carrying a Glock?" I answered him with "probably the same reasons I'm toting a revolver." He replied back with " I never knew anybody to use a Glock as a snake gun before. I though those were for shootin people." The perception of semis are people shooters and revolvers are snake guns is alive and well, at least in eastern NC. I seen a lot of revolvers on hips down there. The last part of this is my kids are finally adults and I am not paying for school or a wedding and I feel like I am playing catch up on gun buying. For my, to me from me Christmas present, I was able to pick up a LCR 9mm and a 3 inch GP100 .44 on one sales ticket and I had money left over. And I'm eyeballing the blued Wiley Clapp. So, does this make me a renaissance man?

I just want the record to show as a devout gun hipster -

I was into revolvers before anyone in my generation thought they were cool.

I was thinking about this earlier today. Twice in my life I’ve needed a handgun. And both times the handgun I had was a .38 special snub revolver. Once it was a Colt Agent and once it was a Smith 642. We often talk about the first rule of a gunfight is have a gun. For me, a snub remains the one gun I can’t seem to excuse myself out of carrying.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-16-2020 at 12:22 AM.

I just enjoy shooting revolvers. Especially pre-lock S&W's. It's that simple. Not entirely logical, but then not everything needs to be. Maybe to some extent it's a connection to a simpler time, a break from the complexity that is common in my line of work.

My second handgun was a Model 19, and I still have it 43 years later (first one was a 1911, still have that too). The plastic stuff comes and goes and no regrets about the ones that have been sold. The revolvers stay and a 15-4 is about to join the collection.

For carry, it runs in cycles and depends on context. Right now I'm mostly focused on office work and some travel to other offices, some in NPE geographies. A J-frame works perfectly for situations like this which are relatively low risk and where concealment matters. Sometimes project settings and locations dictate that a semi-auto makes more sense but that's not right now, and those situations are becoming less frequent with time. I'm seriously considering going all revolver at some point in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given the current political climate, I wonder if new revolvers are a response from the gun industry? Could it be an attempt to stay ahead of the sales curve, in case of magazine bans and the like?
    Part of my interest in wheelguns in the past year or so has been because of this. With some of the pants-on-head-retarded laws that have been coming down the pipe in some regions, being proficient with something least likely to be banned ahead of time strikes me as a prudent move. And if nothing happens to me in my area regarding that, then I’ve become a more well rounded shooter at the very worst.

User Tag List