Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No.

Revolvers are simpler for admin handling any of the examples you gave could happen with a revolver. They also sometimes bring their own set of problems.
    When has a revolver ever been accidentally fired by a dancing, dancing dancing machine?
    The trigger is much heavier than the gun, on most of them.
    Last edited by pooty; 01-15-2020 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I wonder if this is a generational push like classic cars for boomers or multiple other factors are at work here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Maybe just market saturation with Glock and the assorted 'next Glock killa' also rans?
    For me it is these two factors, they are just nice and interesting, and I have the 6-7 M&Ps. I also have been more inclined to dress in a manner that doesn't include a belt, while still not slacking off on having something. And I have circled the drain plenty and from a size and weight standpoint I have pretty well settled (back) on the J-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Dunno, but I dig it.
    Me2

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Behindblueis and I had a similar discussion when I first joined here. If I recall correctly, he has personally investigated about 25 accidental or negligent discharges involving semiauto pistols for every 1 negligent or accidental discharge involving a revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Revolvers were way less likely to be involved in an unintended discharge resulting in injury or death. It's possible they are just underrepresented in administrative handling and carry, but I think the fact revolvers don't "hide" a round in the chamber and unloading actually removes all the ammunition in one stroke is a big benefit. For the non-gun person who wants a gun, a revolver is often a good choice because of this. DA trigger + not "hidden" round = harder to shoot self accidentally. I know Bolke has expressed similar statements.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    When has a revolver ever been accidentally fired by a dancing, dancing dancing machine?
    The trigger is much heavier than the gun, on most of them.
    It is trigger length not weight that sometimes mitigates NDs. I have seen several NDs involving double action only semi automatic pistols, including people re-holstering with trigger on the finger, shooting themselves in the leg and people convulsively grasping the gun and the trigger due to trip and fall and balance issues. Convulsive grasp normally generates 50 to 60 pounds of pressure or more. In other words several times that of a double action revolver trigger pool weight.

In the dancing agent case, the agents knowledge of whether or not the weapon was loaded was not a factor. The gun did not go off when dropped. Rather gun went off when the agent reflexively reached for the gun, putting his finger on the trigger as he was recovering from the backflip and off-balance. The convulsive grip generated in trip and fall and off-balance cases is more than enough to pull the trigger on a double action revolver.

I am aware of another balance related case where an officer started slipping off a set of stairs leading to the front door of a residence during the service of a search warrant. As he fell his finger went on to the double action trigger of a Sig P226 causing a negligent discharge that killed another officer.
    Nothing is fool proof.

As I stated the revolver has an advantage in admin handling in that it is easier for an untrained or minimally trained person to properly verify whether the gun is loaded or unloaded. It does not mitigate against other types of negligent discharges.

Cocking revolvers also leads to its own set of problems. So much so that when revolvers were common in law-enforcement many major departments mandated double action only revolvers.

When cops carried revolvers there were plenty of incidents involving negligent discharges and double action revolvers. Semi auto pistol’s have been the standard in law-enforcement for at least the past 30 years in some cases 40 or 50 years. Most civilian gun owners don’t carry an even those who actually do CCW rarely handle their gun outside a range environment or the administrative tasks involving doffing and donning the gun.

Another factor is that revolvers are much less common in actual CCW and home defense use now that many are considered collectibles.

Revolvers are still a better choice for untrained or minimally trained “non-gun people” But that doesn’t, by any means, mean they are fool proof.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-15-2020 at 09:33 AM.

I love the abundance in new revolvers as well as availability of still relatively cheap turn-ins.

But I don't know that we're in a revolver renaissance until QC gets better across the board. It seems like the odds of getting an auto that works out of the box is now better than getting a revolver that works out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yeah. That would be very easy and convenient.
    @Mike Pipes

At least one person around here does a similar thing...

Site Supporter
    [QUOTE=blues;980993]Yep, that's me and my huge collection of six firearms. The envy of P-F.[/QUO

blues, compared to me, you're a hoarder - I'm down to exactly two. And, neither one gets the range time it should. Somehow I thought retirement would be days spent blazing away for hours on end. I've got to be doing something wrong.

I think there is a big component of the market segment, the so-called “new wave” or “second gen” or “2.0” gun culture, that’s helping pull wheelguns back into the mainstream.

Here’s what I have seen (having sold guns for a couple years and kept friends in the industry):

- the early GWOT vets;
    - the COD/BF/PUBG gamers-turned-gun-enthusiasts; and
    - the young people that have grown up in a predominately shall-issue, CCW-normalized culture

are all now getting to true adulthood and middle-age. They’re working in professional and corporate environments. They have grown-up jobs in soft (or hard) NPEs.

You know what works amazing in these environments and isn’t prone to the failings of many pocket semi-autos?

J-frames & LCRs. The interest in range guns, home defense guns, and competition guns that have the same manual of arms as the perfect pocket/bellyband/SmartCarry guns just naturally follows.

Combine it with isolated pop culture phenomena (e.g. the Walking Dead Python) and the peak boomer demographic in the marketplace, and you get a great market for compact and midsize revolvers.

The market is definitely not soft for Glocks and the new wave of optics-ready, flat-trigger-equipped doublestacks, and I think there is observable growth/interest in the 2011 market segment as well. But, the modern wheelgun definitely has its niche.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

As much as I'd love to go down this rabbit hole, I have a feeling the "revolver renaissance" is constrained to mainly P-F
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    @Mike Pipes

At least one person around here does a similar thing...
    I don't doubt it. It just doesn't appeal to me to be walking around with firearms in a variety of pockets. I'm good with one J, or a G26 or G19. I don't judge anyone that chooses to go a different route...just not something I'm interested in.

If I had a second J, I "might" consider going with two on rare occasions...but since my rule is a semi-auto when I set foot in the vehicle to leave home, it hasn't become an issue (yet).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List