Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    So what is the revolver choice? Ive only got jframes and never shot any other revolver.
    Im assuming the j for pocket but what would you choose if you carried on the belt? And which position?
    I think but Im not sure that the Colt and the Ruger have issues with short stroking that the J doesnt.
    There's plenty of options, but I think the GP100 and various S&W K-frames (both with 3-4" barrels) will make up the bulk of belt carried revolvers, with perhaps an uptick in N frame/Redhawks for field/woods types.

If I'm going to carry appendix, it's the GP100 Match Champion with compact grips. I have also carried the GP100 Wiley Clapp 3" strong side. I've mentioned before that I carry a revolver as a primary mainly in two situations. I'm flying somewhere and the gun needs to go in checked bags or I'm backpacking.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    No spare mag?

I don't think carrying my G19 would've made me feel any better overall. (I carry 12 round mags in my G26 and usually a 12 round spare for a total of 25.)
    I got out of the habit of carrying a spare mag on my person at work because my job sometimes leads to getting dirty and a spare mag was just one more thing to I would have to clean out at the end of the day.

Honestly, nothing would have made me feel good, but I do shoot a 19 noticeably better than a 26.
    I’m going to experiment with several different options in the next few weeks, including a +2 for the glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Honestly, nothing would have made me feel good.
    Exactly. Because nothing can make you feel good about facing a rifle armed aggressor, besides a being in a tank with high explosive rounds.

You should certainly choose a gun that you feel comfortable with.

I've stated here before and I'll do so again in this thread -

If you carry a compact handgun 90% of the time, 99% of your training should be with the compact handgun. A lot of folks carry J-Frames and don't shoot them a lot. It's a disservice to yourself if you carry a J regularly, but don't shoot it and dryfire it most of the time.

If someone wants to cite a P-F Specific Phenomena, it's that folks here actually practice with their snub .38s at least regularly. That said, a J-Frame, and in particular the Airweight and Scandium guns, are expert's guns and have to be vigorously trained with to the nigh exclusion of all other weapons. I carry a snub revolver oh 85-90% of the time, 95% of my practice is with a snub revolver, because of that.

While I agree that it's tougher to shoot a snub at longer distances, I'm confident in my ability to make hits at 25+ yards with an Airweight J-Frame, because I practice that type of shooting at every single range session.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    K-frames are out of production with 3" barrels so I'd be beating up an old classic as much as I love them.
    Name:  20191217_173642.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  69.8 KB

2.75" not close enough?

15 yards DA

It really does everything i need pretty well.

A properly assembled 2.75" M66-8 would be my choice in a 3" revolver for everyday carry--and I own an original 3" Model 66-2. Why? The 66-8 can be fitted with much better sights; can be fitted with an aftermarket bobbed hammer; can be fitted with optics without altering the gun; can easily be replaced (or you can buy more than one at a time without spending a great deal of time looking on Gunbroker); and, perhaps most importantly, the ejector rod design no longer presents the risk of the rod backing out and locking up the gun. That risk, even with loctite or vibratite, is always present on the majority of S&W revolvers and while regular maintenance and function checks goes a long way to ameliorating that risk, it still exists and because the 66-8 offers a hardware solution that completely eliminates that risk, I'd take the 66-8 for everyday carry.

The other option I'd take in a medium frame revolver is a 3" Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp. It's good to have choices.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you short stroke any DA gun, just let off the trigger. It’s that simple.

For belt carry nothing beats a mid-sized 3” revolver. That’s going to be the Colt King Cobra, Kimber K6, various Smith K and L frames, and Ruger GP100 w/compact grips, if you want something that is in production.
    Let off then shoot next round? I really dont know about this.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Name:  20191217_173642.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  69.8 KB

2.75" not close enough?
    I'm fussy about the way the barrel looks and can't abide an abscess in the frame. Otherwise, I could likely live with your sweet little number but am thankful I don't have to.

Let off then shoot next round? I really dont know about this.
    Yes. Let off of the trigger and then restroke it.

Watch our homey @jetfire - competitive shooter, FAST coin holder, Air Force geek (don't hold that against him), former History Channel Top Shot Competitor, fire a fail to stop from concealment with an LCRx 3" right here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxi5LpkF..._web_copy_link

He lets completely off the trigger between shots - 2.63 seconds from concealment for three rounds out of a lightweight revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I'm fussy about the way the barrel looks and can't abide an abscess in the frame. Otherwise, I could likely live with your sweet little number but am thankful I don't have to.
    I can understand that.

So what is the revolver choice? Ive only got jframes and never shot any other revolver.
    Others have chimed in with some good info, but if the J-frame is your only exposure, I would say you are in for a treat, no matter what you end up with. Know that the J has a very light hammer that swings through a short arc, in order to set off the same primer it has to pack a lotta spring pressure behind it. Something larger with a heavier hammer that gets more of a run at the primer can be vastly smoother to trigger cock.

Also, the difference between 2" and 3" is enough, IMO, to make a significant difference in many aspects.

User Tag List