Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

During the last few years there seems to have been a renewed interest in revolvers for CCW, Home Defense, and Hunting. I can remember when I had an FFL in the mid 90's, revolvers at least for defensive use, were about as popular as 40 S&W semi autos are today. I couldn't hardly give away police surplus S&W Model 10's. Today Ruger's LCR and LCRx have been very sucessful. In 2019 the Charter Arms PitBull, Charter Arms Professional, Ruger Wrangler, and the Colt King Cobra were released. New and surplus S&W revolvers seem to selling at a brisk pace and recently Colt announced the re-release of the Python. The number of revolvers in my personal collection dropped to 0 in 2008 and stayed that way until 2012. Now 40% of my handguns are revolvers.

I wonder if this is a generational push like classic cars for boomers or multiple other factors are at work here. I know a Zombie show brought the Colt Python back to life.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 01-14-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Maybe just market saturation with Glock and the assorted 'next Glock killa' also rans? Everybody who wants a $3500 1911 has one? Everybody has a pallet of ARs in the closet already and you can get another for the cost of a 9 piece McNugget meal? The companies needed to find some new niche to sell to?

Dunno, but I dig it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Maybe some of us realized we carried a whole lot of shit we never came close to using for 25 years and have pared it down to just the basics?
    About to turn 50 this year and I'm a whole lot more likely to carry a J-frame and my little folding magnifying glass than I am a Glock 19 with spare magazine.
    Occasionally a Case Sod Buster replaces my Hogue OTF Auto as well.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-14-2020 at 10:00 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    ...The number of revolvers in my personal collection dropped to 0...
    I'd sooner live in a van down by the river than allow such a dark fate to befall myself.

Still hoping Ruger drops a medium frame LCR equivalent with fixed sights, 3" barrel, boot grip option, and chambered for six 357 Mags. And another in 327 Fed Mag. And one in each .22 rimfire because.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Maybe some of us realized we carried a whole lot of shit we never came close to using for 25 years and have pared it down to just the basics?
    About to turn 50 this year and I'm a whole lot more likely to carry a J-frame and my little folding magnifying glass than I am a Glock 19 with spare magazine.
    Occasionally a Case Sod Buster replaces my Hogue OTF Auto as well.
    Kilt, Street, Jody.

Hell, I just carry me a 2xAAA Streamlight, a Spyderco Delica, and a Clinch Pick 90% of the time.

A snubby and speed strip in the evenings and weekends, a 1911 and spare mag if I want to get crazy. I don’t deal drugs, I’m not a cop, I live in a middle class neighborhood. I drive a 12-year old car, and wear a Timex. I don’t walk my dog after 8:30pm, and I go to bed before midnight, after I drink a cup of tea. A five or six shooter should get it done for me.

That said, there is still some big boy guns around here. And I don’t fuck around and not practice with those five and six shooters. Quite the contrary, they get 85% of the dryfire and range time, since they get 85% of the carry time.

Sometimes, I think of getting one of those railed 327s from Smith and fitting a light and red dot to it as a nighstand gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    I'd sooner live in a van down by the river than allow such a dark fate to befall myself.

Still hoping Ruger drops a medium frame LCR equivalent with fixed sights, 3" barrel, boot grip option, and chambered for six 357 Mags. And another in 327 Fed Mag. And one in each .22 rimfire because.
    Great idea. I'd buy two and carry one, shoot the heck out of the other.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    During the last few years there seems to have been a renewed interest in revolvers for CCW, Home Defense, and Hunting. I can remember when I had an FFL in the mid 90's, revolvers at least for defensive use, were about as popular as 40 S&W semi autos are today. I couldn't hardly give away police surplus S&W Model 10's. Today Ruger's LCR and LCRx have been very sucessful. In 2019 the Charter Arms PitBull, Charter Arms Professional, Ruger Wrangler, and the Colt King Cobra were released. New and surplus S&W revolvers seem to selling at a brisk pace and recently Colt announced the re-release of the Python. The number of revolvers in my personal collection dropped to 0 in 2008 and stayed that way until 2012. Now 40% of my handguns are revolvers.

I wonder if this is a generational push like classic cars for boomers or multiple other factors are at work here. I know a Zombie show brought the Colt Python back to life.
    Nostalgia is one part of it. Increase in CCW and Ban states making high cap autos irrelevant for most people are others.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Nostalgia is one part of it. Increase in CCW and Ban states making high cap autos irrelevant for most people are others.
    I hope these states are also going to pass legislation to prevent multiple assailants from preying upon those restricted to low round count firearms.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I hope these states are also going to pass legislation to prevent multiple assailants from preying upon those restricted to low round count firearms.
    I would say the traditional solution was to carry multiple revolvers but most of these states don’t allow carry so it’s a moot point.

Site Supporter
    I switched from carrying a Detective Special to a Glock 26 while the 1994 federal ban was in effect. I got better sights, a better trigger, more stopping power, greater magazine capacity, easier to carry and faster reloads, and better reliability in a package that is equally easy to carry. I do not see the recent increase in ban states having much effect on this.

I have been doing much of my recent shooting double action with a .22 K-frame, and definitely see the value of a revolver as a training and practice gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List