Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Maybe, IDK.

Possibilities:
    A. CC licensees have gotten over the initial excitement over carrying their 1911 or Glock and discovered pocket revolvers are incredibly easy to carry, and pretty much all they need. With that, some have discovered the wonderful world of revolvers.

B. The market is saturated with polymer wunder-pistoles, and manufacturers are looking for new markets.

C. The flip side of B, some enthusiasts are bored with bottom feeders.

D. Some manufacturers know they’re not going to make any inroads into the Glock, S&W, or SA market share, and looking to offer something different.
    Last edited by jtcarm; 01-16-2020 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    As much as I'd love to go down this rabbit hole, I have a feeling the "revolver renaissance" is constrained to mainly P-F
    So we are the reason there are three newish (at least born this century) carry revolvers on the market? 1) the Kimber K6, 2) the new Colt Cobra, 3)all the LCR variants

It's a better time for new carry revolvers than any time since I could legally buy firearms.

QC could use help, but we can't have everything.

P.S. We aren't the only place were folks talk about carrying wadcutters, either. P-F may be the best firearms forum/hive mind in existence, but there is some wisdom out there in outer darkness, too!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I have read of at least 3 incidents in which a small frame revolver did not have enough ammo to solve the problem.

I also used to live near a Philadelphia suburb that at one point in time had multiple robberies involving a gang of about 10-15 people.

Small frame revolvers with decent sights only became available after I stopped carrying revolvers, and are still probably not the norm.

Usually I am an advocate for choosing what will actually be carried most or all of the time rather than what would be ideal but not always carried. However, I am unconvinced that a small frame revolver is “enough” when a Sig P365 can be carried with equal ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    However, I am unconvinced that a small frame revolver is “enough” when a Sig P365 can be carried with equal ease.
    Can it though?

That’s not rhetorical, I’m asking seriously.

I’ve tried the PM9 and the G43 and found both wanting in terms of concealment. The rounded nature of the revolver, including it’s more heavily curved grip frame, seem to make pocket carry much more feasible, until you drop down into the micro .380s. Similarly, ankle car and even shoulder holster carry tends to favor the revolver, in my experience. Humans are more round than straight. The curved nature of a revolver cylinder and curved nature of the grip aid in concealment, in my experience.

I haven’t tried the 365, but I admit to skepticism in the idea it conceals equally as well or easy as a J-frame. Semi-autos are angles and sharp edges compared to revolvers, the difference in concealment is negligible when dealing with a belt-mounted gun, but for non-traditional on-body carry, I’ve yet to find a semi that offered me the same as a J or D Frame without being chambered in .380.

Site Supporter
    I have read of at least 3 incidents in which a small frame revolver did not have enough ammo to solve the problem.

I also used to live near a Philadelphia suburb that at one point in time had multiple robberies involving a gang of about 10-15 people.

Small frame revolvers with decent sights only became available after I stopped carrying revolvers, and are still probably not the norm.

Usually I am an advocate for choosing what will actually be carried most or all of the time rather than what would be ideal but not always carried. However, I am unconvinced that a small frame revolver is “enough” when a Sig P365 can be carried with equal ease.

Like everything else in life, you have to do your own threat/risk assessment and decide what tools you need. In that environment, a 5-shot snubnose might not be enough. For me, where such attacks are not the norm, a 5-shot snubnose is likely fine.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Can it though?

That’s not rhetorical, I’m asking seriously.

I’ve tried the PM9 and the G43 and found both wanting in terms of concealment. The rounded nature of the revolver, including it’s more heavily curved grip frame, seem to make pocket carry much more feasible, until you drop down into the micro .380s. Similarly, ankle car and even shoulder holster carry tends to favor the revolver, in my experience. Humans are more round than straight. The curved nature of a revolver cylinder and curved nature of the grip aid in concealment, in my experience.

I haven’t tried the 365, but I admit to skepticism in the idea it conceals equally as well or easy as a J-frame. Semi-autos are angles and sharp edges compared to revolvers, the difference in concealment is negligible when dealing with a belt-mounted gun, but for non-traditional on-body carry, I’ve yet to find a semi that offered me the same as a J or D Frame without being chambered in .380.
    While some people have found the same as you, my own experience has been different. I have found that the thin, flat semiauto conceals as well or better than a revolver.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I don't see the J frame as limited by capacity as much as limited by range.
    I think the J frame is a 0-15Y defensive tool where with my Glock 26 I'm confident out to 35Y+ easily (multiple quick hits on a 8" target or one precise 3"x5" hit "on demand").
    Even though I shoot both out to 50Y (and beyond) the J requires so much more concentration and dexterity that anything beyond 15-20Y under stress I wouldn't have confidence in making.

Now that my "kid" is damn near a man (17... damn I feel old) my need for an "offensive capable defensive handgun" to protect myself and others has gone down dramatically.
    I'm rapidly approaching "old man" status where white Velcro shoes and a J frame are just part of the uniform.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-17-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

While some people have found the same as you, my own experience has been different. I have found that the thin, flat semiauto conceals as well or better than a revolver.
    Conceals and draws from where though?
    Belt yes.
    Pocket no.
    In my experience.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Conceals and draws from where though?
    Belt yes.
    Pocket no.
    In my experience.
    My experience is the opposite. A thin, flat semiauto conceals and draws better from a pocket for me.

Site Supporter
    The main benefit of a small revolver over a small auto is less ammo sensitivity and being less sensitive to how you hold and operate them. This is not only straight from Darryl Bolke's Primary and Secondary podcast, but reflective of my own experience as well.

Chris

User Tag List