Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    o3RN, what's the difference between the green speed loaders and the black ones? Inquiring minds want to know!

Dave
    Lol
    I initially painted them green because i do a ton of shooting in the woods and the green contrasts nicely with the dead leaves.

I shoot uspsa in the grass
    So i had to upgrade with orange nail polish.

The black ones are just newer. The orange works well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given the current political climate, I wonder if new revolvers are a response from the gun industry? Could it be an attempt to stay ahead of the sales curve, in case of magazine bans and the like?
    Yes, also the resurgence of lever guns. Even Henry released a brand new model with a side loading gate, and Marlins "dark" series with factory threaded barrel. I believe they are gearing up big time for that possibility.

In the end, its the indian not the arrow. Its always nice to have otpions and i found as im getting older i appreciate revolvers once again and the 92 series

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    Yes, also the resurgence of lever guns. Even Henry released a brand new model with a side loading gate, and Marlins "dark" series with factory threaded barrel. I believe they are gearing up big time for that possibility.

In the end, its the indian not the arrow. Its always nice to have otpions and i found as im getting older i appreciate revolvers once again and the 92 series
    In today’s political climate and anti-gun ridiculousness, the things to get banned first is the “high capacity” and “tactical” looking things. A lever gun, while passe by today’s standards, can still be a rather effective tool in the right hands.

I’m currently personally rethinking my tools of choice moving forward as if the shenanigans in VA can happen there and happen as quickly as they did, then they could happen just about anywhere. So having a “legacy” set of tools that one can fall back on makes some sense.

As it stands now, if something happened in MI where laws similar to VA’s were passed here I’d have only a few tools left over that I could legally use/possess with a known quantity of reliability.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    In today’s political climate and anti-gun ridiculousness, the things to get banned first is the “high capacity” and “tactical” looking things. A lever gun, while passe by today’s standards, can still be a rather effective tool in the right hands.

I’m currently personally rethinking my tools of choice moving forward as if the shenanigans in VA can happen there and happen as quickly as they did, then they could happen just about anywhere. So having a “legacy” set of tools that one can fall back on makes some sense.

As it stands now, if something happened in MI where laws similar to VA’s were passed here I’d have only a few tools left over that I could legally use/possess with a known quantity of reliability.
    I'm *in* VA and am reshaping my collection to fit expected bans/restrictions. Even if the current lunacy doesn't pass, the idea of having a large investment in stuff we've seen banned elsewhere is worth questioning. Luckily my primary interests gun-wise have always been revolvers, bolt rifles, and single shots, but I still had a handful of evil assault weapons to consider.

It sucks, but one is not disarmed merely by having a revolver and levergun or lower capacity semiauto pistol and bolt rifle. They just have to reconsider tactics.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'm *in* VA and am reshaping my collection to fit expected bans/restrictions. Even if the current lunacy doesn't pass, the idea of having a large investment in stuff we've seen banned elsewhere is worth questioning. Luckily my primary interests gun-wise have always been revolvers, bolt rifles, and single shots, but I still had a handful of evil assault weapons to consider.

It sucks, but one is not disarmed merely by having a revolver and levergun or lower capacity semiauto pistol and bolt rifle. They just have to reconsider tactics.

Chris
    I guess that’s my point. Most of the pistols I have familiarity with most are Glocks. I do have a bolt gun or two and a shotgun as well as at least a couple pistols that can be leaned upon in low capacity roles so I’m not entirely without. Have a magazine capacity ban and you compromise reliability to the point where I have to find a replacement. Sure I could go buy some stuff in short order, but it won’t be zeroed and vetted. That takes time and ammo.

Like 03RN - the 1911 works well for me as an outdoor gun.

I love my revolvers, but I dropped a J-frame in loose sand once and it took me the better part of a day to clean it out and get it working again. I frequently work in sandy areas. I can completely disassemble and clean a 1911 in less than 45 minutes. Less than that if I have a mainspring housing disassembly tool.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Like 03RN - the 1911 works well for me as an outdoor gun.

I love my revolvers, but I dropped a J-frame in loose sand once and it took me the better part of a day to clean it out and get it working again. I frequently work in sandy areas. I can completely disassemble and clean a 1911 in less than 45 minutes. Less than that if I have a mainspring housing disassembly tool.
    I can do that with a revolver, but I'd want a table or flat workspace. I've never dropped a revolver in sand, but I frequently carry them out in the woods, while camping, etc. If sand was a concern, then I'd probably go with a Glock of some flavor. They actually take me longer to detail strip, but require fewer tools. A field strip and blasting with some sort of aerosol oil would probably clean a Glock well enough...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I’ve been comfortable with the balance between concealment and capacity that my glock 26 offers, (or even a snub year 25% of the time) including a situation I had to handle and have posted about in the coterie club. That changed Monday this week.

That afternoon I was on a commercial property we manage that has a physical therapist and doc in a box located in the same building in a busy urban area. Since I don’t work out of an office I had run inside to use the well maintained bathroom. While I was sitting on the john somebody real close by let off seven rounds from a rifle.It was close enough I couldn’t tell if the shots were coming from inside the building or outside. After waiting for less time than I probably should have I didn’t hear any more shooting, or screaming so I carefully exited the bathroom went down a hallway and exited the building. Once outside I ran into a girl who works at the physical therapy place who told me they were fine. She was trying to figure out what just happened too. Never saw anything on the news so I’m still not sure wtf happened.

While sitting in that bathroom listening to gunfire and exiting the building I was not enthused to have only a glock 26 and 11rds on me. While something like that will statistically not happen to me again, it killed any desire I had to carry a smaller gun unless absolutely 100% necessary. I’ll also be looking into a setup that will allow me to carry a larger gun year round.
    Carrying a P09 with 21 rds on tap, 3 extra mags, and body armor would not have made me feel anymore confident or better about that situation...

I have noticed over the last couple months that my secret collector gems in the form of Colt 357's, Colt Troopers, and Dan Wesson 357's are getting much harder to acquire at my sub $500 target price point. I think the re-release of the Colt Python may have something to do with it.

User Tag List