Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have read of at least 3 incidents in which a small frame revolver did not have enough ammo to solve the problem.
    On cases I've personally been involved in I've seen multiple incidents of empty guns on dead criminals shot by other criminals, including extended mag Glocks and AK pistols. I have seen zero incidents of random violence where the good guy died due to lack of ammunition. For random crime, I am well satisfied that the difference between 5 shots and 8 shots and 10 shots is negligible in all but the rarest of incidents, and even less if the good guy makes good hits.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    On cases I've personally been involved in I've seen multiple incidents of empty guns on dead criminals shot by other criminals, including extended mag Glocks and AK pistols. I have seen zero incidents of random violence where the good guy died due to lack of ammunition. For random crime, I am well satisfied that the difference between 5 shots and 8 shots and 10 shots is negligible in all but the rarest of incidents, and even less if the good guy makes good hits.
    I had something almost exactly like this typed out but deleted it.
    Thanks for posting.

In dozens (hundreds?) of videos I can't remember watching a single two-way "gunfight" between complete strangers that wasn't over with in 2 or 3 rounds total between both parties (one or both may have shot more, but for all intents and purposes it was over in the first 2 or 3).
    Now targeted personal "hits" or LE engagements? Yes capacity is much more likely to be a factor.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't mean to sound flippant; this seem to point to "do whatever works best for you." Correct? Assuming you can make the hits, if it's a semi auto, excellent. If it's a revolver, rock on. While I'm not in that category (yet) myself, I think the chorus is singing, "don't discount the wheel gun."

ETA: if your scenario includes roving gangs of 10-15, you're screwed with any kind of handgun.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 01-17-2020 at 11:12 AM.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I don't mean to sound flippant; this seem to point to "do whatever works best for you." Correct? Assuming you can make the hits, if it's a semi auto, excellent. If it's a revolver, rock on. While I'm not in that category (yet) myself, I think the chorus is singing, "don't discount the wheel gun."

ETA: if your scenario includes roving gangs of 10-15, you're screwed with any kind of handgun.
    Pretty much. A realistic threat assessment goes a long way. There's always outliers, and there's always situations you can't win regardless. If you were in the crowd in the Vegas concert when the guy opened fire from the window, what gun you has wasn't relevant.

I have no arguement against being as prepared as possible. I also have no argument against balancing that with the rest of your life style.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

So what is the revolver choice? Ive only got jframes and never shot any other revolver.
    Im assuming the j for pocket but what would you choose if you carried on the belt? And which position?
    I think but Im not sure that the Colt and the Ruger have issues with short stroking that the J doesnt.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    So what is the revolver choice? Ive only got jframes and never shot any other revolver.
    Im assuming the j for pocket but what would you choose if you carried on the belt? And which position?
    I think but Im not sure that the Colt and the Ruger have issues with short stroking that the J doesnt.
    Short stroking is an operator error, unless you’ve monkeyed with the action.

If you short stroke any DA gun, just let off the trigger. It’s that simple.

For belt carry nothing beats a mid-sized 3” revolver. That’s going to be the Colt King Cobra, Kimber K6, various Smith K and L frames, and Ruger GP100 w/compact grips, if you want something that is in production.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-17-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I'd personally go for a 3" LCRX, SP101, or K-Frame from what I've played with to date. Well, I spend more time with a snub LCR appendix inside-the-waistband than I should probably admit on this forum. Think I'd increasingly lean toward the 3" LCRX. A buddy let me play with his 22 WMR example for a week. I quickly put the finger groove boot grip that came with my LCR on it, pressed an AIWB holster, and spent some time doing draws to first hit on a 6" plate from 7-25 yards and ran Rich Grassi's (IIRC) Comparative Standards with it. It performed well. Wife and daughter could even give a ~11"x17" plate hell at 25 yards shooting double-action with the stumpy grip. When he got it back and tried the short grip at the range, he it in place after and packed it AIWB for his runnin' to town piece.

A 3" 357 Magnum version to have a steel frame for most recoil mitigation and, in my mind at least, more service life with range time. Still be lightweight, conceals great with a two-finger grip, has sights I can use, despite being adjustable can make a holster to protect my shirt and belly from the rear, ride stable for the barrel, and could load whatever chosen 38 Special standard pressure or +P in town with the option to step up to magnums in the boonies. An SP101 would be heavier and I can't shoot the stock grips to save my life so would also get changed shoes. K-frames are out of production with 3" barrels so I'd be beating up an old classic as much as I love them. No personal experience with new Colt and Kimber offerings so I'd just rock the lightweight plastic Ruger I know works for me.
    Last edited by SCCY Marshal; 01-17-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Site Supporter
    I’ve been comfortable with the balance between concealment and capacity that my glock 26 offers, (or even a snub year 25% of the time) including a situation I had to handle and have posted about in the coterie club. That changed Monday this week.

That afternoon I was on a commercial property we manage that has a physical therapist and doc in a box located in the same building in a busy urban area. Since I don’t work out of an office I had run inside to use the well maintained bathroom. While I was sitting on the john somebody real close by let off seven rounds from a rifle.It was close enough I couldn’t tell if the shots were coming from inside the building or outside. After waiting for less time than I probably should have I didn’t hear any more shooting, or screaming so I carefully exited the bathroom went down a hallway and exited the building. Once outside I ran into a girl who works at the physical therapy place who told me they were fine. She was trying to figure out what just happened too. Never saw anything on the news so I’m still not sure wtf happened.

While sitting in that bathroom listening to gunfire and exiting the building I was not enthused to have only a glock 26 and 11rds on me. While something like that will statistically not happen to me again, it killed any desire I had to carry a smaller gun unless absolutely 100% necessary. I’ll also be looking into a setup that will allow me to carry a larger gun year round.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 01-17-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    While sitting in that bathroom listening to gunfire and exiting the building I was not enthused to have only a glock 26 and 11rds on me. While something like that will statistically not happen to me again, it killed any desire I had to carry a smaller gun unless absolutely 100% necessary. I’ll also be looking into a setup that will allow me to carry a larger gun year round.
    No spare mag?

I don't think carrying my G19 would've made me feel any better overall. (I carry 12 round mags in my G26 and usually a 12 round spare for a total of 25.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List