Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Which is obvious, and also fine. People should just be honest about it though, is my point. Like I said previously, I even carry my revolvers time to time. I'm honest about why, though, instead of throwing out some terms I heard from some cool guy to validate my choice.

As for giving people credit, no. Emphatically. Purchasing a gun does not automatically infer any skill with a gun, nor does purchasing a gun and posting on the internet infer any ability to assess risk.
    I didn't say buying a gun makes someone an "operator". By the same token, despite our professions and experience, yours current, mine primarily in the past, we're just a couple of guys talking on the internet. If you want respect for the comments you make, I think you should reciprocate.

Otherwise, why waste your time? What audience are you reaching for here and why should you be taken seriously?

Anyway, I've said enough on the subject.
    Last edited by blues; 01-18-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I didn't say buying a gun makes someone an "operator". By the same token, despite our professions and experience, yours current, mine primarily in the past, we're just a couple of guys talking on the internet. If you want respect for the comments you make, I think you should reciprocate.

Otherwise, why waste your time? What audience are you reaching for here and why should you be taken seriously?

Anyway, I've said enough on the subject.
    I think the entire premise of your post is why people should take a step back and not become emotionally attached to their choices. I can't help if pointing out the truth hurts people's feelings, and nothing I've written was intentionally inflammatory.

I don't feel the need to "reciprocate" if the shit don't make sense. Should I point out again that there's nothing wrong with making a choice and being honest about it? Like @FES313 and @03RN. Is that reciprocation enough? I don't think encouraging people to act like tactical-timmys and use terms they don't understand is being a good steward of our fellow community members who are either fooling themselves or encouraging other community members to fool themselves.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-18-2020 at 02:10 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    So the revolver return has three drivers:

1. The 'a' usage for average folks, scared of semis.
    2. The tactical worriers with a J for backup
    3. The aficionado, geezer brigade who like such.

I suggest that type 3 (which I do dabble in) also move their computers back to Dos, or command line Linux.
    Hey, I resemble that remark! And I remember upgrading to DOS 3.2. Pfui to you-ey.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark! And I remember upgrading to DOS 3.2. Pfui to you-ey.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

@BehindBlueI's, as for good guys running out of ammunition, I vaguely remember an individual (off-duty police officer) who found himself at the feet of a bank robber shooting people, drew his j-frame and put all 5 rounds into as respectable hits as we could expect for an individual, and the shooter was undeterred and killed him with an execution shot after the "good guy" was injured and unable to easily reload his gun. I'm not sure if that sounds familiar to you. We could also extrapolate the same from the NCIS Special Agent at the Navy Yard active shooter who had a P239 and no reload, and ran out of ammo.

The fact they're off-duty or plainclothes LEOs shouldn't be used as a strawman that it's somehow less applicable to a private citizen. The situations were identical to what a private citizen could find themselves in....but private citizens tend to make up a lot less engagements given the amount of guns carried in public by good guys used in shootings are overwhelmingly carried by cops.
    I hope you appreciate the amount of effort I put into finding this.

https://www.policemag.com/340226/sho...ornia-03301996

Site Supporter
    I must have missed the post that got TGS so worked up. It would make his post easier to understand. For the record, I carry semi autos and spare magazines. I just think the idea a single guy is going to out shoot a gang of 10-15 determined attackers with his wonder 9 and two or three spare magazines has watched too many John Wick movies.

Twice, in my life, I thought I would have to deal with 4 bad folks (I don't like the term goblins, Cooper was going to a bad place with that usage). I suppose I should have just rolled into a ball. Avoidance managed to avoid the fight. Once it was with a J frame and I did think as the 'interrogation' evolved, it was going to be one, one, one, one and one left over. That's if I got that far. I had it mapped in my mind.
    Since the above was directed at part of my post I will offer the following. In the prolonged discussions I referred to, at no point did anyone suggest someone faced with three armed opponents should "roll into a ball". General consensus was, faced with a real Presendente moment, do your best and you might get lucky, but don't count on it.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 01-18-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    I must have missed the post that got TGS so worked up. It would make his post easier to understand. For the record, I carry semi autos and spare magazines. I just think the idea a single guy is going to out shoot a gang of 10-15 determined attackers with his wonder 9 and two or three spare magazines has watched too many John Wick movies.
    Dave,

For what it's worth, I'm not worked up. Nothing in my posts are about taking on 10-15 determined attackers with a belt of spare mags, either.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

Aha! That's it. I had some details wrong, hopefully I didn't throw you for too much of a loop.
    Last edited by TGS; 01-18-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

That incident was in one of the officer survival/survival mindset books I've read as I recall wondering WTF he was "carrying" his gun by having it in his girlfriend's purse. Thread drift, but one thing we train in scenarios is there's no legal or ethical mandate to warn someone prior to use of deadly force in that sort of incident. More ammunition would have certainly been useful, as perhaps some different tactics of use of cover, using the element of surprise, etc. What you can't fault is his survival mindset.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

That's it. I had some details wrong, hopefully I didn't throw you for too much of a loop.
    I knew what you were talking about. It really stuck with me after I read it the first time, years ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    If you think teaching your wife to shoot is fun, wait until she takes a DOS course.

User Tag List