Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I think this is pretty much a good chunk of it.

As people get into their maturity and have some real world experience, those with good critical thinking skills start to see that the pithy, cliched internet advice of "if you can't conceal a G19, then you are 1) stupid 2) lazy 3) a fudd" is just that - cliche. They see that there are actual contexts for some people where that advice is so far opposite that is borders on Biden level.

On top of that, there is a segment of instructors who don't feel the need to toe the line regarding internet wisdom and are willing to not only talk about real use of different tools, but actually teach it, and the more people that see that, the more there is a interest in such things as snub carry, or k-frame carry for non-gun folks, etc.
    As someone on the outside of the industry now, it’s interesting to see that line appearing to move back from sidecar holsters and Fauxland Specials to micro-compact, stagger-stack 9mms and revolvers combined with more promotion of compact first aid tools.

As far as foreseeable risks and weight penalties are concerned, five shots of .38 Special in an Airweight/Airlite, a speed strip, a CPR mesh, and a quality TQ will make you a far more useful human being against more foreseeable risks than a 31-rd 9mm loadout. Yes, you can add first aid to the big-gun kit, but the weight penalties and dresscode-restrictions add up fast in real life.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    As people get into their maturity and have some real world experience, those with good critical thinking skills start to see that the pithy, cliched internet advice of "if you can't conceal a G19, then you are 1) stupid 2) lazy 3) a fudd" is just that - cliche. They see that there are actual contexts for some people where that advice is so far opposite that is borders on Biden level.
    ^^This^^
    I spend 50% of my day by myself, where other people pretty much have zero access to me.
    35% of my day is spent at home with family behind locked doors.
    The final 15% that's spent in public is primarily during daylight hours on the right side of town.

I'm good with my J and magnifying glass (because what's most likely to kill me is not being able to read directions/warning label and poisoning or blowing myself up with home chemicals).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    ^^This^^
    I spend 50% of my day by myself, where other people pretty much have zero access to me.
    35% of my day is spent at home with family behind locked doors.
    The final 15% that's spent in public is primarily during daylight hours on the right side of town.

I'm good with my J and magnifying glass (because what's most likely to kill me is not being able to read directions/warning label and poisoning or blowing myself up with home chemicals).
    This is exactly my life as well. Except I'm not quite at the point of EDCing a magnifying glass, though I probably should at this point.

Additionally, while I started out as a revolver guy (like a baby duck, I imprinted upon the first handgun I shot, which was a snubnose k-frame 38), for the past few years I've been more into plastic wondernines for CCW/personal-defense. What with the soup-sandwich VA politics has become and the high likelihood of some sort of ban or restriction, I've found myself looking more at revolvers again and making a decision to train more with them this year as a precaution.

Chris

Given the current political climate, I wonder if new revolvers are a response from the gun industry? Could it be an attempt to stay ahead of the sales curve, in case of magazine bans and the like?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

My first handgun was a 6" S&W 66 back in 1988.
    My first auto didn't come around until 1990 or so and was a Glock 17.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Student
    I would like to see more dedicated small semi and small revolver training classes. I'm not sure it's quite caught up to the same level as the folks we know pushing defensive shotgun.

Site Supporter
    Have the resurgent revolver companies (SW, Ruger, Kimber, Colt, Charter, Taurus) done any real market research with their buyers? It wouldn't be hard. I get surveys in the email from Eddie Bauer, Bed, Bath and Beyond, Lowe's, etc. whenever I buy something.

I opine, for what it is worth, that the casual CCW snubby market is driven for the most part:

1. Easy to conceal
    2. Easy manual of arms
    3. Semis are too scary for some folk, in terms of usage, manipulation, etc.
    4. Most folks don't contemplate an intensive use. We see that here. It is a one opponent, short time in the fight gun.

My revolvers are J's for the specific dress configuration situations or a niche fun gun. When I can carry again, it's a semi for the most part.

Site Supporter

Quality of modern revolvers

The etiology of the revolver resurgence is likely a combination of the many factors discussed in this thread. That aside, I've been surprised by the quality of my modern (post 2010) revolvers. I have four: S&W 617, 625, & 642; and Ruger GP100MC. All have been good to go out of the box and compare favorably with my older Smiths. Maybe modern technology isn't so bad. From the Big Empty, ELN.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yep, that's me and my huge collection of six guns. The envy of P-F.
    Everyone around here envies a huge collection of sixguns.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Timely topic, I’m a millennial and have been developing a strange attraction to round guns lately. I can’t carry regularly here but where I can, it’s usually a J frame.

When I get back into Uspsa (broke student at the moment) I’m seriously considering a 929 and shooting revo. I find accurate double action guns very satisfying to shoot and a revolver gives me that with a dash of cowboy/film inspired nostalgia that’s quite appealing. I also find the fact that they are generally thought “difficult” to shoot well and fast makes the challenge that much more interesting.

Do I really think they do anything better than my glocks or CZs? Absolutely not but I like them and I’m not entirely sure why. I’m not the only one of my friends of my generation that feels this way either so there’s something going on.

User Tag List