Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Are We In The Middle Of A Revolver Renaissance?

I honestly don't read the story that TC215 linked and think, "Man, if only he'd had a Glock 19 and a reload." - I actually read it as, "Wow, bad tactics but good will to survive."

But I want to cut to the heart of the matter.

Is the issue whether or not that a person carries a J-Frame and thus chooses a less optimal shooting gun for random crime; or that the person who carries a J-Frame may not be able to address sentinel events as a first responder, because they chose a sub-par firearm for that purpose?

Because those two reasons are actually distinct reasons with distinct mindsets and fundamentally different ways of approaching a problem.

And as a result, the perspectives will be naturally at odds with one another.

Edit: I'm gonna cut this post to here. I don't think we're going to have a fruitful conversation getting into the nitty gritty. I just think we should recognize that folks may be approaching things from different mindsets and that folks have different legal and moral obligations with respect to their preparations. And we should recognize that those differences matter and not that one is superior to another, merely different.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-18-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Site Supporter
    At my age comfort dictates what I carry. I forgot how many handguns I currently own. The point is that I have a good selection. Then there is the rationalization that I avoid trouble spots so I may not need a big gun. And despite having a couple cases of Doc suggested loads, sometimes I elect to use the famous but obsolete Federal +P+. Oddly, I am comfortable with premium hardball even though I knew its limitations before many here were born. Perhaps we--you and I--do not always adhere to the logic of known best practices. I hope like hell that if I must draw my handgun to ward off an evil-doer, that the gun is a full size pistol loaded with Doc ammo. I hope that my jframe and LCP 380;are resting at home.

I carry a handgun because I might have to shoot a dog that's biting me.
    If I come across a man biting a dog I might just have to improvise and make do with what I have.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-18-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I carry a handgun because I might have to shoot a dog that's biting me.
    If I come across a man biting a dog I might just have to improvise and make do with what I have.
    That's what the sap is for.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That's what the sap is for.
    Difficult to carry around.....

Name:  curly.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  35.1 KB
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    For a complete diversion, I had a friend in the 70's who was a secretary for the Hong Kong police department. She said that they would raid an illegal basement puppy farm, used for food. The Brits made that illegal. The officers broke up the farm and took the puppies home (guess what).

I have an irrational desire for one of those Ruger 7 shot SAA guns in 327 mag.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Regardless, I think that market is a bit wider than just PF.
    No argument there. I just think that calling it a "renaissance" might be a little...optimistic.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Well, I might have to change my mind.

There we were today, on the edge of a game preserve in the south Chicago burbs. Surrounded by snow, ice, and nature. The dog was responding to the call of nature and the wife and I were obliging him. Suddenly, a branch broke behind us...I spun, drew the 6-shot Colt Cobra I was carrying and got ready to throw down on ISIS terrorists. There were six of them 15-yards away...brown with twitchy faces...some clearly older and some clearly younger. I gamed it out, 1-1-1-1-1-1 all headshots. I would move to cover and reload, while I drew my Karambit and used the finger ring to hold it while I manipulated my weapon. Then I would move in and finish them off with hot lead and cold steel as necessary. But everyone froze, even the dog...15-yards, their eyes dull, almost soul-less. I knew they’d made up their minds. I looked at the leader, bigger than all the rest, he snorted as he glared me down.

Then the dog began barking. And the brown menaces turned and ran in fear. Their little white tails flashing as the scampered away across a field.

The dog is pissed, he wanted fresh venison for dinner.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well, I might have to change my mind.

There we were today, on the edge of a game preserve in the south Chicago burbs. Surrounded by snow, ice, and nature. The dog was responding to the call of nature and the wife and I were obliging him. Suddenly, a branch broke behind us...I spun, drew the 6-shot Colt Cobra I was carrying and got ready to throw down on ISIS terrorists. There were six of them 15-yards away...brown with twitchy faces...some clearly older and some clearly younger. I gamed it out, 1-1-1-1-1-1 all headshots. I would move to cover and reload, while I drew my Karambit and used the finger ring to hold it while I manipulated my weapon. Then I would move in and finish them off with hot lead and cold steel as necessary. But everyone froze, even the dog...15-yards, their eyes dull, almost soul-less. I knew they’d made up their minds. I looked at the leader, bigger than all the rest, he snorted as he glared me down.

Then the dog began barking. And the brown menaces turned and ran in fear. Their little white tails flashing as the scampered away across a field.

The dog is pissed, he wanted fresh venison for dinner.
    You, my friend, are fucking evil.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    You, my friend, are fucking evil.
    The best part is, we were actually at the game preserve, the dog was in the middle of answering the call of nature, when we realized we’d wandered into a bedding area for the local white tails two blitzed out of the patch we were in, maybe 15-yards away and a moment later we saw ~6-8 of them scampering along about 80 yards farther away.

We had a pretty good cold snap yesterday and my guess is they were hungry today, hence the activity at 1:30pm.

User Tag List