Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ Hollow Point Arrest

Site Supporter

NJ Hollow Point Arrest

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/03/nj-...#axzz6Fp9EDm8i

New Jersey: Carry-Licensed Security Guard Arrested for So-Called “Hollowpoint” Ammo

ROSELLE PARK, NJ – -(AmmoLand.com)- On February 8, 2020, armored car security guard Roosevelt Twyne was returning home from work when he was stopped by three Roselle Park police officers for alleged side-tinted windows on his vehicle.

Twyne advised and showed the officers that he has a New Jersey Permit to Carry a Handgun, and informed the officers that he was coming home from his employment as an armored car security guard and was, in fact, one block away from his home.

Twyne’s Permit to Carry a Handgun specifies the Smith & Wesson handgun that he was carrying at the time of the stop. Twyne also possesses a SORA (Security Officer Registration Act) Card, a New Jersey Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, and lawfully purchased/registered his handgun with a New Jersey permit to purchase.

The New Jersey State Police Firearms Information FAQ website specifically states:

“Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition. An example of this can be seen with the Hornaday Critical Defense #ad / Critical Duty, Car-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.” (Emphasis added.)

Roselle Park Police Officer Louis Plock, nonetheless, arrested and charged Twyne under NJS 2C:39-3F(1) (possession of hollow nose ammunition) for possessing the above-mentioned Hornady Critical Duty ammo.

Plock also charged Twyne with unlawful transportation of a weapon under NJS 2C:39-9D. This statute, however, specifically exempts people who are licensed or registered under chapter 58, and Twyne’s New Jersey Permit to Carry a Handgun was issued pursuant to chapter 58.

These are 4th-degree felony-level crimes with potential 18 months imprisonment for each.

Because of the arrest, Twyne is presently suspended from his employment.
    The information regarding the legality of this ammunition is easily available to the public and law enforcement on the New Jersey State Police website:

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

13. I’m not a police officer, are hollow points legal for me to possess?

Yes. They are legal for purchase and possess in your home or on land owned by you. They are legal to possess and use at a gun range. They are also legal to possess while traveling to and from such places. Ammunition lacking a hollow cavity at the tip, such as those with a polymer filling, are not considered to be hollow point ammunition. An example of this can be seen with the Hornady Critical Defense / Critical Duty, Cor-Bon PowRball / Glaser Safety Slug and Nosler Inc. Defense ammunition.

We all have those “bottom of the bell curve” co-workers. How many of us have those co-workers who don’t know that law and can’t be bothered looking it up ? How many just make up some bullshit instead ? I know I have both.

Is this just a regional thing!

Years ago, in NY I had a friend who worked as an armored car guard and was duly licensed to carry who was stopped for speeding on his way to work, in uniform. The county PD Officer disarmed him, which is within his discretion but then “flipped out” and started lecturing him because he was carrying a round in the chamber. The Officer claimed that in NY only the police can carry pistols with a round in the chamber, which is, if course completely false.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-05-2020 at 12:34 PM.

The arresting cop should face personal liability for such an arrest.

Can't say I'm surprised...though it continues to be absurd.

Seems like you need to defend yourself from both "the law" and the lawless in NJ. Congrats on that, NJ.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Civil rights lawsuit? False arrest lawsuit?

I see no reason for this arrest unless they had an agenda. They don't care unless there are consequences to their agenda.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    Civil rights lawsuit? False arrest lawsuit?

I see no reason for this arrest unless they had an agenda. They don't care unless there are consequences to their agenda.
    Having a little knowledge of Roselle Park NJ my guess would be “carrying while Black.” But I agree there needs to be consequences for this.

Carrying while black.

Carrying while blue.

The tales of NJ's indifference to the law and willingness to discriminate against those who were within their legal rights are legion. I was regaled with them during the early 80's when I was a mere pup in L.E. We were warned about what to expect before conducting investigations on the other side of the river even back then.

NJ: Carrying the torch of inequality forward for decades.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

God, what horseshit.
    #RESIST

I hesitate to judge without hearing what, if anything, the other side of the story is. I would assume (or at least hope) that if it the arrest was as blatantly stupid as it seems, the state would not proceed with prosecution and no defense fund would be necessary.

But, New Jersey, so...

I wont hesitate. This is the norm for NJ.

I have long said that the polymer tip exemption still does not make you legal in NJ. The law prohibits hollowpoints OR dum-dums. Critical duty/defense may not be a hollow point, but it is still a dum-dum (dumbass term for expanding bullet).

2C 39-3

f.Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet,
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 03-05-2020 at 02:28 PM.

User Tag List