Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: CO Cop “Red Flagged” by Mother of Deceased Suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Some folks just don't realize or care about the consequences of their actions. GOA needs to pull their head out of their ass. Sorry I ever contributed to them a year or two back.
    Can you expand on that a bit? I really am asking, primarily because I got a chuckle out of HCM’s link. I may have to pull my own head out of my ass if you have a compelling case—which you typically do.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Can you expand on that a bit? I really am asking, primarily because I got a chuckle out of HCM’s link. I may have to pull my own head out of my ass if you have a compelling case—which you typically do.
    It’s funny at first glance but it’s a double edged sword, anything that can be used against “them” can, and will eventually be used against “us.”

@HCM addressed it in the post above. This is not a one way street we're traveling. On top of that, he made a complete fool of himself with Sacha Baron Cohen a year or so back.

What we don't need is buffoons, racists, empty suits and miscreants being the face of those who stand with the 2A.

I worked hard to establish a rep professionally and personally...it takes very little these days to lose it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s funny at first glance but it’s a double edged sword, anything that can be used against “them” can, and will eventually be used against “us.”
    I guess my take is that this will clearly go nowhere, as everyone knows it’s a bullshit stunt, but that's sort of the point. It’s definitely a conversation starter, as we know that the reason schumer won’t lose any sleep over this is because he’s a long-time senator. Anyone else would have to jump through big hoops, and we all know it.

Plus, what do justices G&K say when they get asked? Option one is "no comment" probably their best and most likely response, but they could also A: take the high road and say "While we do believe the Senator’s statement to be threatening, we do not believe that the statements alone are reason to strip him of his 2A rights..." (can you imagine?)
    Or, B: "We we do believe the Senator’s statement to be threatening, and believe that this action is viable under NY law..."

Either way, it’s ‘fuck that Schumer guy’ time. Or, maybe my head is still in the dark. Hardly the first time.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Why would a violation of a NY harassment statute be applicable to words spoken in DC?

Also, disarming his security detail because he “might have access” is laugh-out-loud ridiculous. That’s not how possession works.

I guess my take is that this will clearly go nowhere, as everyone knows it’s a bullshit stunt, but that's sort of the point. It’s definitely a conversation starter, as we know that the reason schumer won’t lose any sleep over this is because he’s a long-time senator. Anyone else would have to jump through big hoops, and we all know it.

Plus, what do justices G&K say when they get asked? Option one is "no comment" probably their best and most likely response, but they could also A: take the high road and say "While we do believe the Senator’s statement to be threatening, we do not believe that the statements alone are reason to strip him of his 2A rights..." (can you imagine?)
    Or, B: "We we do believe the Senator’s statement to be threatening, and believe that this action is viable under NY law..."

Either way, it’s ‘fuck that Schumer guy’ time. Or, maybe my head is still in the dark. Hardly the first time.
    I'd agree if GOA had a history of seriously taking on 2A issues. As it stands, they tend to act childish and screechy, and this is just one more high-visibility publicity stunt that will go nowhere... just another chapter in a long book of blatant attention-seeking behavior (in lieu of anything productive - the "in lieu of" is the part that I find irritating).

CWM11B
    While I agree with the double edged sword analogy, it is prudent, in this case, to remember this sword was forged in the fires of our opponents on the other side of the 2A argument to be wielded against us. The double edge would appear to be cutting them in this case.

While I dont think this tactic is anything more than a publicity stunt, it does serve to further illustrate the absurdity of "red flag" laws. Additionally, at least someone is doing something other than pearl clutching and "Harumpffff...bad form old sport" type statements. Flip the script on this and have an R type do the same thing and I'll bet my next pension check we would see a forced resignation from the Senate within 24 hours. The double standard in this country has gone beyond sickening from my point of view, and is likely to culminate in consequences none of us want to see or are prepared to face.

As long as the thread is wandering, this seems to be a genuine vengeful-ex-makes-things-up red flag story:

https://reason.com/2020/03/05/she-sa...e-up-his-guns/

The detective who filed the petition admits she just took the allegations as given, w/o attempting any corroboration.

The target of the red flag also got to get an involuntary mental exam.

At the end of the eventual hearing, the prosecutor agreed there was no basis for a continuing order.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    As long as the thread is wandering, this seems to be a genuine vengeful-ex-makes-things-up red flag story:

The detective who filed the petition admits she just took the allegations as given, w/o attempting any corroboration.

The target of the red flag also got to get an involuntary mental exam.

At the end of the eventual hearing, the prosecutor agreed there was no basis for a continuing order.
    I think this is pertinent to the LE section given the failure of the Sheriff’s Detective to conduct any follow up investigation whatso ever before filing. So my question is what are the consequences for the ex-wife and the mother-in-law?

Can they be sued for attorneys fees? Prosecuted for making false statements, she clearly perjured herself is anyone going to do anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post

There are no surprises here. The BLUF: these laws are a tool designed to take guns away from people, period. Just a tool, like a screwdriver. Just as a screwdriver can be used to both put together a bunkbed for the kids, or to shank a MoFo, these laws can be used as intended, or weaponized. It’s a people thing.

User Tag List