Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of home schooling my kids.

My 14 and 8 year old kids are home schooled. They have never attended public school.

I love it. The time that we spend as family is worth every penny my wife doesn’t earn by staying home. My kids are very “normal”. To the “they’ll be weirdos!” crowd I say that weirdo school shooters are members of the public school system. I know several other home school kids and they are all mature for their age

Homeschooling is what you make of it. If you put out the effort it will go well. Try out co-ops and other organizations, see what works for you. Maybe dual enrollment is a fit if your state allows it. Join HSLD.

We’re using Christian Light curriculum until high school then switched Penn Foster.

Good luck with your decision.

Edited for spelling cuz I went to public school. Lol
    Last edited by Quantrill; 01-16-2020 at 12:25 PM.

I don't feel like getting into the debate... all I will say is that it was the best thing we ever did for our kids. We've had zero problems with our three, now adult, kids. They make good choices and live good lives.

I battled with the same decision in similar circumstances. I’m retired. My kid was starting kindergarten and I didn’t want him lost in the sauce at public school.

Fortunately private school here is fucking awesome. Yes, it is expensive, but I consider it a long term investment. He’s got to at least be able to change my shorts when I start shitting my pants.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

I just want to say thanks again for all who replied and everyones thoughts.

Homeschool Mom Goes On Brisk Morning Run With 18-Seat Jogging Stroller
    January 23rd, 2020

TEMECULA, CA—Local homeschool mom Cindy Breyers has a morning routine: get up at 6, read Proverbs 31, read fourteen other chapters of the Bible, make coffee, and finally, go out for a quick morning jog with her 18-seat jogging stroller.
    The wife cheerily gets all the kids ready, loads them all into the custom stroller, and goes on a quick 5-mile run around a nearby lake.
    "It's important to spend a little 1-on-18 time with the kids as you go about your day," she said as she picked up the pace up a steep incline, reporters struggling to keep up with her. "Josiah! Let's remember to share some Goldfish with your twin brother, OK, pumpkin?"
    If a kid needs changing during her jog, a button on the stroller lets her rotate both rows of the stroller like a conveyer belt, bringing the soiled child right in front of her for easy access. She also has "a heck of an arm" and can lob healthy, homemade bottles of juice at any of the kids who starts to get thirsty.
    When she gets home, she starts school for her little ones, from the unborn child she's currently carrying all the way up to her 8-year-old high-schoolers.
    "I'm a little worried about Jake 2 though -- he's not really picking up on koine Greek very quickly, and he's already 2," she said, her brow furrowed as she prepared a healthy, nutritious meal for 20. "But that's OK -- some people are late bloomers."

(Today's news family courtesy of BabylonBee.com)

Last edited by Duces Tecum; 01-24-2020 at 09:43 AM.

Do it Mike. You can't possibly do a worse job than our public schools. Public schools in America are the biggest scam ever perpetrated here.

Do it.

Cat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Do it Mike. You can't possibly do a worse job than our public schools. Public schools in America are the biggest scam ever perpetrated here.

Do it.

Cat
    Alright, now, that’s getting a bit harsh. I know there are lots of opinions out there on public education. I believe in educational choice, but I can’t get on board with the idea that it’s cool to trash talk other forms of education while talking up the one you hold near and dear.

If we want to talk about different issues in education and different educational choices, there are plenty of people on this board with a wide variety of experience as educational consumers and providers who will gladly provide their input. But if we get into trash talking someone’s perfectly legit livelihood which they spent years getting educated for and certified in and have further dedicated years of their professional lives to the education of other people’s offspring, all the while being told how much they suck and how to do their jobs better by people with limited to no experience in the field, I can just imagine it will get as heated in here as in a cop thread when non-cops start with doing the same thing with the blue bashing.

Mike,

Mmm. Please, I have no desire to put down teachers. Just like many professions I'm sure the vast majority are dedicated, well-intentioned people trying their best in a difficult world. Using cops is a good comparison I think and what I just said applies equally to them. Being either in todays world? Horrific. Both trades are yoked, harnessed & whipped continuously by a management that usually has, at best, no clue. I know teachers are bound to a curriculum and teaching policies that must drive many of them nuts. Much of which come from the Feds. Therein lies much of the problem. Anytime government gets involved with something that they shouldn't it goes badly.

Critical thinking? Judgement? Our Constitution? Let alone the Declaration of Independence. Or history. How to live a life, pay your bills, fill out your taxes. Honor? None of these things are taught and haven't been for many years. And lets not even get into the drugging of our kids.

Actually I truly admire good teachers, of which there are many. The vast majority. How they can function and do a their best under such conditions is very admirable. Nonetheless, I stand by my advice to the OP: Do it. The products our school system is turning out in general is bad. Very bad. It's where most of our progressives come from/are manufactured.

Cat

@Catshooter, I hadn’t replied. Not sure if you’re intending to reply to Duelist.

My bad. Yes, replying to Duelist.

Cat

User Tag List