Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of home schooling my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    But the arrow matters in what grad school and companies will be hiring after.
    People with character and connections get hired. Degrees are tertiary. We're hiring a shit ton of engineers right now. We have an MIT MS on staff; we hire well and pay extraordinarily well for the area. The engineering VP and I had this discussion a week ago -- you know what gets you to the top of the pile? Eagle scout.BB/BS. KoC 4th degree. Evidence of good character.

Site Supporter
    Participation in extracurricular activities and volunteering, having had leadership roles and won awards, grades, and
    ACT or SAT scores, and recommendations carry great weight in college admissions. Some of these are easily attained by kids who are home schooled.
    Last edited by willie; 01-15-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Participation in extracurricular activities and volunteering, having had leadership roles and won awards, grades, and
    ACT or SAT scores, and recommendations carry great weight in college admissions. Some of these are easily attained by kids who are home schooled.
    Not in my state. In Virginia, home schooled children are not allowed to use school facilities nor participate in school sports. Happily, the home schooling parents still get to pay taxes that fund these things their children cannot use, though
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    Maybe of interest, maybe not ...

A classmate of mine/wife of co-worker homeschooled their boys - one is finishing an architecture MS at a major southern school, the other is at a state U doing something in the science field.

Anyway, she wrote a book on their experiences, I've heard it is well received.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Dont-Tur...=Janell+Smiley
    I’ll order it when I get back tonight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    People with character and connections get hired. Degrees are tertiary. We're hiring a shit ton of engineers right now. We have an MIT MS on staff; we hire well and pay extraordinarily well for the area. The engineering VP and I had this discussion a week ago -- you know what gets you to the top of the pile? Eagle scout.BB/BS. KoC 4th degree. Evidence of good character.
    Both of my boys are Eagles. Going to the local Council Eagle Scout dinner Saturday with my newest Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    You noted the part about connections. Thats what gets you looked at before there is a pile is made.
    One place to make those connections is a good university, hence my question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    But the arrow matters in what grad school and companies will be hiring after.
    My oldest whom I have said the most about has all the fancy pants credentials. You know what she is lacking? Moral indecency! Yes you heard that correctly. Her chosen field in which she has great talent is Poetry. Yes she has gotten he work published buy numerous academic journals but she would be doing a dam site better if she was writing about her trans-gender journey, fellatio or other crap that is getting scooped up and slapped on paper like you can't believe. The world is upside down!

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Excellent point. This is really what was I was asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not in my state. In Virginia, home schooled children are not allowed to use school facilities nor participate in school sports. Happily, the home schooling parents still get to pay taxes that fund these things their children cannot use, though
    One of the few good things in CT are the homeschooling regulations. Homeschoolers in my town can even play on the school sports teams. Boy would I love to get a property tax rebate for all the money my town saved due to my kids not participating in the school system.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I omitted the word "not" by error. I had intended to point out that participation in extracurricular activities and such are not easily attainable by home schoolers. The school where I taught was and is a war zone and ranks in the bottom 25 percent in Texas--and has for the last 33 years. There are many others like it in the state. I understand why parents might elect home schooling in some instances. However, this choice can have many shortcomings. One is less opportunity for social skills development, and another is a curriculum lacking academic rigor. It seems that everybody thinks he is an expert in education. Schools have their share of incompetents, but more are found in districts having a history of poor leadership. Achievement scores are good indicators of competent leadership. Low teacher turn over rate is another. My opinion is that special education children would benefit less in home schooling. Not every parent has the temperament, level of organization, motivation, and subject matter knowledge to teach their children at home.

User Tag List