Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of home schooling my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Take a look at Rod and Staff for primary arithmetic. Best we've found.
    https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...de-1-math-set/
    YES! I forgot that one. We have used Rod and Staff. Memoria Press is a great resource.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    All our kids were given a Mom & Dad approved list of colleges to pick from. My daughter had the grades and the smarts to get into Yale. Heck she could have commuted if they allowed it. But we were not going to send a still impressionable young adult into a liberal hotbed were pinko professors could undo the values we worked on her entire life.

Some of the schools on our short list.
    Hillsdale
    Thomas Aquinas College
    Franciscan University
    Wyoming Catholic College - It takes a unique individual here. Freshmen Orientation is a 3-week wilderness expedition in the Rocky Mountains.
    University of Dallas
    Thomas Moore College
    There's a lot of commonality there with the Newman Society's list, which is my reference:
    Ave Maria University
    Belmont Abbey College
    Benedictine College
    The Catholic University of America
    Christendom College
    Franciscan University of Steubenville
    John Paul the Great Catholic University
    Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts
    Thomas Aquinas College
    The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts
    University of Dallas
    University of Mary
    University of St. Thomas
    Walsh University
    Wyoming Catholic College

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    When I was 14 we inquired about playing on the high school baseball team. We were told I couldn’t play because I didn’t go to that school. That was technically true, but years later I realized if I was really that good they would’ve found a way to make it happen.

But I had played city (actually three small towns) league up to that point, and my dad even coached. So yeah. It’s not like we woke up, did school, then just hid inside until we could do it again tomorrow.
    I went to a private high school and really wanted to run track at the public school district my parent's payed taxes to. The school said it was a no go, which I think they were not allowed to do. But anyway, I played soccer at my school and loved it.

My daughter does dance, and several things at the YMCA, so she gets to interact with lots of kids.
    Last edited by Irelander; 01-15-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

There's a lot of commonality there with the Newman Society's list, which is my reference:
    Ave Maria University
    Belmont Abbey College
    Benedictine College
    Christendom College
    Thomas Aquinas College
    University of Dallas
    University of Mary
    University of St. Thomas
    Walsh University
    Wyoming Catholic College
    Will these get you into a top 20 university grad program? this is not a criticism but a question.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    If your son is in special education, then he has special needs.
    Probably, but not always. Someone else in this thread mentioned they were mis-tracked into special ed, and briefly I was as well. For me it was as simple as a very bored elementary student stuck in a class "taught to the lowest common denominator" being given a test they were told would not affect their grade. My response was to ignore the test questions and fill in the scantron with geometric patterns so I could go to recess right away. Welcome to special ed!

My parents questioned the move, but the teachers never did. Once I was finally retested (at my parents' expense) with the instructions "even though you won't be graded, this test actually does matter and will affect your class placement" I was moved from special ed into the gifted program.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 01-15-2020 at 02:11 PM.

Ave Maria University
    Belmont Abbey College
    Benedictine College
    Christendom College
    Thomas Aquinas College
    University of Dallas
    University of Mary
    University of St. Thomas
    Walsh University
    Wyoming Catholic College
    Just some info.

My daughter applied to Belmont Abby and was accepted and heavily recruited but chose Hillsdale.
    Catholic Univ. Expensive, can be iffy depending on the professors, not super homeschooling friendly wanted us to provide a synopses of our daughter's curriculum. No one else ever asked.
    Recently heard about some shenanigans going on a Benedictine College.
    Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts - Had the reputation of a boot camp type of college. room inspections ...
    John Paul the Great Catholic University relatively - New school. Almost like a popup in the center of town. A couple kids from our group attending.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Will these get you into a top 20 university grad program? this is not a criticism but a question.
    Some of them, for sure. Some of them have different end goals. If that was my boy's emphasis, I'd look particularly hard at UD, Benedictine, Thomas Aquinas, St. Thomas. Beyond that, some of them have top 20 grad programs within specific fields.

Just some info.

My daughter applied to Belmont Abby and was accepted and heavily recruited but chose Hillsdale.
    Catholic Univ. Expensive, can be iffy depending on the professors, not super homeschooling friendly wanted us to provide a synopses of our daughter's curriculum. No one else ever asked.
    Recently heard about some shenanigans going on a Benedictine College.
    Magdalen College of the Liberal Arts - Had the reputation of a boot camp type of college. room inspections ...
    John Paul the Great Catholic University relatively - New school. Almost like a popup in the center of town. A couple kids from our group attending.
    Good G2 but it will be out of date by the time I'm actually shopping in 9 years. PM me about Benedictine, please -- I have several friends who are lining their kids up to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I can't speak to all of the schools but based on what I have seen over the past 20 years in a large homeschooling group where everyone keeps in touch, yes some will.

Harvard & Princeton. But you have to understand that a lot of the families/students that choose one of those undergrad schools go there for a reason. Like my daughter some very well could have gone to a bigger named (more prestigious, in some people's eyes) school but had reasons why they chose what they did. So just like in shooting it's the Indian not the Arrow. The arrow being the school.

I can't speak to all of the schools but based on what I have seen over the past 20 years in a large homeschooling group where everyone keeps in touch, yes some will.

Harvard & Princeton. But you have to understand that a lot of the families/students that choose one of those undergrad schools go there for a reason. Like my daughter some very well could have gone to a bigger named (more prestigious, in some people's eyes) school but had reasons why they chose what they did. So just like in shooting it's the Indian not the Arrow. The arrow being the school.
    But the arrow matters in what grad school and companies will be hiring after.

User Tag List