Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking of home schooling my kids.

Before you dump public schools look to see if they have a magnet program. The programs here are arranged so a student could complete one year of college before graduation.
    Talk to them as they go through school and find out what they are telling them in school you disagree with. Thats your chance to counter.
    No doubt about it at least around here home schooled kids, in general, are a little bit different.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I'll also suggest that figuring out how to get by in school doesn't mean you can't do a lot of learning outside of school. I didn't learn any of the science and tech that made my career in school (but did learn the writing and math).

Totally acknowledge all the stories contrary to mine. My distaste might be from being in the northeast, where the public schools options are generally good.

I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    ¿Porque no los dos?
    That's a damn good point. Maybe it would be good to try a practice run this summer and see how it goes.

Thank you all so for for the input please keep it coming.
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-14-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Before you dump public schools look to see if they have a magnet program. The programs here are arranged so a student could complete one year of college before graduation.
    Talk to them as they go through school and find out what they are telling them in school you disagree with. Thats your chance to counter.
    No doubt about it at least around here home schooled kids, in general, are a little bit different.
    I had two conversations with an elementary school principal about the math program. They were teaching some of these "new' methods that go by several names, but which deviate from traditional math in ways that add steps, take longer to solve problems, and increase the likelihood of mistakes. I pointed out to this principal that, since I hold two engineering degrees, I could explain exactly why their program was setting people up to fail if they went to engineering school. She had no interest in learning. After those conversations, I learned that the husband of one of my wife's friends, who is an engineer employed by a company whose name many here would recognize, had drawn the same conclusions as me, talked to the same principal, and received the same response. Two engineers who did not know each other looked at the program, saw its flaws, and independently approached the school, and both were ignored. I later learned that the son of one of my wife's brother's friends, who is currently a senior in high school, cannot multiply because of the ineffective way math is taught.

The school board was, until recently, dominated by liberal Democrats who do not care one bit about what the taxpayers in their district think. The superintendent has her own agenda, which included trying to silence a valedictorian who included a statement about her Christian faith in her graduation speech, backing down only after the family's lawyer got involved. Talking to these people would be a waste of time.

Again, this is supposedly a "good" public school, which seems to mean it is the top tin can in the dump.

I particularly appreciate the OP’s comments about medication; that’s a rampant issue in all schools right now.

I have seen home schooling work very well. My wife is a teacher and we’ve done it for short periods when we felt like our boy needed to catch up. Curriculum is very important — we are huge fans of Memoria Press. Coops can work.

The most important thing is routine and schedule.

The big catch is it’s really fucking hard.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    My brother and I were homeschooled. So was my wife, but I didn’t know her growing up. I’m sure a lot has changed in the nearly 25 years I’ve been out of school, but I say go for it.

That said, we elected not to homeschool our son. But our district is very good, and continues to put out some of the highest testing scores in the state. I’ve been quite pleased with it; my experience has been the exact opposite of OP’s. It’s also a smaller district which helps. Believe me, I would have homeschooled him at the first sign of trouble...but there hasn’t been any. Not perfect for sure, but really no major complaints.

To respond to @TheRoland; granted, there’s a few out there, but the homeschooler with all the social skills of Rain Man is a stereotype of the past. I personally know several homeschoolers who went on to earn various degrees and achieve much success with Fortune 500 and 100 companies in many fields. Of course, not all or even most went that far; but neither did my friends who went to public or private schools. So homeschooling isn’t a surefire recipe for success, but neither does it put you behind for social skills. If anything, the majority have been able to navigate relationships with a much broader age group.
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 01-14-2020 at 11:03 PM.

Student
    This is a sidebar, but if I were to ever raise children and I really wanted to plant the seeds of true independence and critical thinking, I'd take them to learn from Dark Angel and Lone Star, and every so often we'd practice putting tourniquets, chest seals, and bandages on each other. They'd probably have their own IFAK before their first wallet, and understand that it is for them and not necessarily for their friends.

Regardless of whatever their schools would (or wouldn't) do to keep them safe and aware, the next (every) time everyone is abuzz about the next masscal incident in the news, learning will occur and be reinforced in their own observations of what their classmates and teachers say and do.

I know some of you guys have done something like that already.

Every time I sit down to write a cogent reply to this, life intervenes.

It's almost bedtime and I have two brain cells left, so I'm going to weigh in tomorrow, but I'm not ignoring you.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post

A couple things you will find to be incredible frustrating is random strangers asking your kid stupid "pop quiz" questions while grocery shopping. The same random strangers will also lecture you about how you are wrong and your kids needs to be "socialized" (like a dog!), see above mention groups if that is something you feel you need. You can kindly tell these people to fuck off (I am not bitter... really!)
    We were part of the “first wave” if you will, so it was much less common at the time to see kids out and about on a school day. “Are kids off school today? Homeschooled? Is that even legal?”

User Tag List