Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 80's-era leather 1911 holsters for low-viz, concealed carry, and practical comp.

Recollections from late 80s and early 90s - from the recesses of my brain - Bianchi, Sparks, Bruce Nelson, Gordon Davis/later Galco training holster. For similar holsters these days it'd include Kramer, C Rusty Sherrick, Sparks/BNCL, and I imagine more.

One of the more books I've read lately is: Name:  IMG_2262.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  48.3 KB

Published in '78. Really started to drive a holster mounting, carry, wear idea in my head.

Milt Parks will still make a #1AT . Just give them a call. I just got a new one (cause one is none, two is one) a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    And don't forget the Gordon Davis Taylor Thunderbolt and his 453 and 4532 Sparks 55BN clones. I wore a 4532 (had about a 10 degree FBI cant) lots of days in a plain clothes deployment team with a Colt LW Commander. Good times!
    Didn't Davis make a drop leg holster as well?

A buddy gave me a Rogers-Safariland paddle holster that was plastic/kydex? and leather lined. Retention was a leather strap that kept the split edge of the holster pinched tight. It didn't take long to figure out why he gave it to me: it fucking sucked.

My favorite holster of the era was the 55BN or any of the clones. I had them for my 1911 and 92F.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Didn't Davis make a drop leg holster as well?

A buddy gave me a Rogers-Safariland paddle holster that was plastic/kydex? and leather lined. Retention was a leather strap that kept the split edge of the holster pinched tight. It didn't take long to figure out why he gave it to me: it fucking sucked.
    Don't know about a drop leg from Davis, but he did lots of stuff not in his catalog (Bolke has more insight on this). As for that Rogers holster you mentioned, I had one of those for a K-frame snub and I was also very underwhelmed by that holster.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Pancakes with reinforced thumb straps were great. And somewhat fast

Here’s my old-school combo: nickel Combat Commander with an Alessi IWB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bianchi Pistol Pocket was a 90s favorite of mine. (I didn’t own a 1911 then but used them for off duty carry of 4” revolvers or my issued 5906. It had a thumb break and a cant-adjustable belt loop.

Summer Special for a Glock 17 was my first concealed carry holster back in '91.
    I switched to a Kramer #3 a few years later.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I think it is appropriate that I just came up from the basement after loading 200gr LSWC 45 ACP to look at this series of postings!

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Looks like the 1AT isn’t listed on his website any more. Rats...
    You STILL have to call Milt Sparks to order a holster and they will make you a 1AT if that is what you want.

Do it!
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List