Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with the police

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    You would NOT want to do this in California...
    Probably Not Doc... and Probably not in Chicago, or NY either....

Yeah, because what I want to do is be digging around in my car for a gun when I've been stopped. That seems like a good way to catch a bullet.

I have never lived in a state with a duty to inform, so my policy is just to be honest. If the officer asks me if I have any weapons in the car, I say yes and tell him I have a CPL, which I'll hand over, tell him where I'm carrying and how he'd like me to proceed. The responses I've gotten included:
    • "Don't worry about it, everyone's carrying guns around here"
    • "Take it out with two fingers and pass it to me"
    • "Whacha carryin'?"

Etc. Putting a gun on the dashboard of my vehicle during an active traffic stop is on the short list of things I'm never, ever going to do.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Etc. Putting a gun on the dashboard of my vehicle during an active traffic stop is on the short list of things I'm never, ever going to do.
    It's been 8+ years since I called NC home... but... IIRC...

In NC if you DO NOT have a CCL the gun must be in plain sight inside your vehicle.
    Actually, the rule is that it cannot be both "concealed and accessible"
    Specifically, the handbook says "when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon
    is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle."
    http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/...ws-rev2011.pdf page 20.

So... If you're pulled over in NC and have a weapon in the car and no CCL, better make sure it's on the dash or on the seat in plain view, or risk taking a ride in bracelets.

If you have a recognized CCL/CHL/CPL... Concealed is no problem and IMO, I'm not moving my gun form my waistband to my dash for any reason short of being requested to do so specifically by the officer. Hands on the wheel, calmly inform upon approach.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    It's been 8+ years since I called NC home... but... IIRC...

In NC if you DO NOT have a CCL the gun must be in plain sight inside your vehicle.
    Actually, the rule is that it cannot be both "concealed and accessible"
    Specifically, the handbook says "when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon
    is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle."
    http://www.ncsheriffs.org/documents/...ws-rev2011.pdf page 20.

So... If you're pulled over in NC and have a weapon in the car and no CCL, better make sure it's on the dash or on the seat in plain view, or risk taking a ride in bracelets.

If you have a recognized CCL/CHL/CPL... Concealed is no problem and IMO, I'm not moving my gun form my waistband to my dash for any reason short of being requested to do so specifically by the officer. Hands on the wheel, calmly inform upon approach.

+1, I am in no way implying or advising anyone to put a gun on the dash that has a nc or other state permit for ccw, I am stating that as a LEO in NC and NC ONLY, That I was trained to look on the dash and gunstores have advised customers thats where to put them if stopped. IF you tell me upon approach and otherwise are not acting suspicious, and you don't have it on the dash and its concealed and accessible, chances are I'm NOT going to charge you, cause I'm the gun guy, other officers that I work with WILL arrest you... and Take your otherwise legally owned gun and put it into evidence where it will sit for months until your case is finished in court. AND, if found guilty that same legally owned firearm may be ordered to be destroyed.

KKJ...

This is why it is so important for each citizen to be aware of the specific laws pertaining to firearms where they reside...

I live in Virginia and took my concealed carry class at the NRA. They recommended (if I remember correctly) that you should show your permit to the cop when giving him your license. They mentioned that when the cop runs your name, he will see that you have the permit anyway and that it is better to be forthcoming. Additionally, they pointed out that it may imply that you are a law abiding citizen which may result in leniency when the cop decides whether or not you get the ticket.

I honestly don't know how I feel about that. On one had, I like the idea of not divulging anymore info than necessary. But I can see where not getting all defensive might have its advantages. With all that being said, I just read this on kniferights.org...although this applies to knives, I can see where it my pertain to guns as well.

"If asked whether or not there are any weapons in the car, immediately be aware that you are in danger of becoming a victim of an anti-knife arrest. This question may be handled in many ways. However, my personal response is to ask the officer why I am being asked that question. The answer to this question goes directly to the issue of probable cause. Why are you being asked whether you have weapons in the car? Is this simply a fishing expedition on behalf of the officer or is it because spent shell casings are in plain view on the front seat? If it is a fishing expedition, then that question is clearly unjustified. If there are spent shell casings on the seat, then regardless of your answer you are probably looking at having your vehicle and person searched. The key here is not to give any excuses for a vehicle search. (E.g., items left in plain view, expired motor vehicle licenses, odd behaviors, etc.) If you obey the law and act in a practical and intelligent manner, you should be able to avoid vehicle/person searches."

It doesn't say how you should answer the question, but it infers that it may be a good idea to say nothing...

I understand the officer needs to protect himself, but I also need to protect myself as well.

What do you all think?

Personally, I'll inform the officer right away that I'm lawfully carrying, where the weapon is, and that I will NOT reach towards it without being instructed to do so. IF instructed to do so, I will repeat the instructions back as I comply.

I've done this once when pulled over on the pretext of my truck's tire going over a curb. The officer told me that he liked dealing with CCW permit holders because we are lawful citizens. I then told him that my weapon that was near my belt buckle and that I was reaching for my wallet in my right front pants pocket. No problems. He ran my license and sent me on my way. I later found out from my buddy who's the training officer for that PD that the guy who pulled me over "pulls everybody over in an excuse to run their DL."
    #RESIST

Here in AZ, you are required to answer truthfully if an LEO asks if you are armed, but you are not required to volunteer the information unasked. Still, I feel it's good policy to do so. I haven't been pulled over while carrying, but I was once a witness at an accident and briefly interviewed. Because of the peripheral nature of my involvement, and not wanting to stay there any longer than I had to, I just kept my mouth shut on the subject, answered the officer's questions, and left as soon as I could. I wasn't particularly interested in having the assembled gangbangers get a peek at my loadout or taking the officer's attention away from people who were an actual threat.

I never volunteer the information unless specifically asked.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I never volunteer the information unless specifically asked.
    This, unless I'm in a state that honors one of my CPLs and has a duty to inform..

User Tag List