Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing with the police

Site Supporter

Dealing with the police

A tip to the unaware or unfamiliar in dealing with the police: first of all, know who the police are! Know the difference between the city police, the county sheriff's department and the state troopers. They have slightly different but overlapping jurisdictions. Their cars are probably painted differently and they probably have different colored uniforms. Know who your primary service provider is! If you live near the border of your jurisdiction, know what the uniforms and the squad cars of the neighboring town look like. That isn't too hard -- just pay attention when driving around on your normal business, and then remember what you see. Neighboring jurisdictions back each other up all the time, and if one agency gets tied up on a major incident, the department next door may end up being primary responders to calls in that town. It happens all the time, and it is NOT evidence of a particular emergency nor of a government conspiracy . . .

If you live in Hickory Hills and the Police Communications Center gets a 911 disconnect from your house, you may get the Hickory Hills PD or the Sheriff's Department or the State Police or cops from the next town or village over, depending upon the situation. It's not at all unusual.

Any time you interact with the police, be truthful, don't have an attitude nor appear to be concealing information and your day will go a lot smoother. Almost always when we the police encounter somebody with a belligerent attitude, it's because they're trying to hide something. You don't have to offer information, but answer the legitimate questions that you are asked. If you appear to be trying to hide something, cops treat that the same way that sharks treat the smell of blood in the water . . .

Just because you explained something to the call taker on the phone DOES NOT mean that information was ever passed on to the officer. If it’s really busy, they’ll just send the officer with a minimum of information and expect them to sort it out when they get there.

If you live on the boundary of multiple jurisdictions, be aware of where the incident happened and which police department you called. If you have called to report an incident, and then just flag down a passing police car, the cops inside (a.) may not have received the call yet and so have no idea what you’re talking about, or (b.) may be from another jurisdiction, possibly dispatched by a different comm center on a different radio frequency, and they may not know what you’re talking about, either.

Just because you talked to a cop once about a particular situation does NOT mean that all cops everywhere will be familiar with the situation. We are not telepathically connected!

If you reported a problem at midnight, don’t call back at eleven the next morning and expect to talk to the same officers. Individual police officers are not on 24/7. We do go home to sleep and conduct our personal lives from time to time.

Pay attention to what agency the officer works for, and ask for their name and badge number or radio number or ID number. We get issued business cards to give to people we interact with. Get a business card from officer friendly and ask for the case number of the incident (if there is one), the address of occurrence and the case title, and write down the date. That way, if at some later time you need to make an inquiry, you'll have the information that you need.

If they’re in plainclothes, feel free to ask to look at the officer’s credentials. Just keep in mind that you don't know what an authentic police ID card for that agency looks like. (I don't know what official ID cards for the surrounding agencies look like, either.)

If somebody comes to your door in plainclothes, and they're a real cop, they're used to having people ask to see an ID, and may be used to having you phone dispatch to verify their identity, depending upon where you are. BE SURE YOU CALL THE RIGHT POLICE DEPARTMENT!

If you want to make it easy for the police/fire department/ambulance to find your house, put visible house numbers someplace on the front of your house. Make sure the numbers contrast and can be read at night (with a spotlight). Turn on an outside light at night to make your house easier to find (unless there is a good tactical reason NOT to)

Based on a couple of experiences getting "profiled" and run sternly through a little rigamorole - cooperate in good spirits. In several of my experiences we (LEO and I) were in very remote areas and the LEO was alone. He had to be very careful . . . very "tactical". IMO, don't begrudge him his tactics to insure his safety. He doesn't know how upstanding I am.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for sharing some great common sense information Jeff22.

My parents always taught me to be polite, honest, and HUMBLE when dealing with police, or any authority figures. This has always served me well.

Back in my younger days (read: foolish youth) I had a run-in with some Sheriff's Deputy in Florida.
    Back story: I had just finished upgrading carbs on my crotch rocket and was working out a flat spot on a lonely access road at 10PM'ish on the way home. As I rounded the bend, there were about five police cars at my apartment complex's pool/clubhouse area rousting some rowdy non-residents who had been drinking and vandalizing some property there recently.

Well, I shut the bike down as soon as I saw them and tried quietly, and quickly, making my way to my apartment in stealth mode. No joy. By the time I got off the bike, one of the deputies was right there in his car and instructing me to "Grab some paint, Slick!". After patting me down (I was in shorts & t-shirt = more foolishness ) he put me in the back seat. While questioning me from the front seat I got the feeling that he was deliberately trying to get a rise out of me. Busting my shoes about my NY plates, how I thought I could just come down there and do what I pleased, etc. I was very polite and answered all questions asked.

Later, some of my friends came by to meet me, while I was in the car, one of whom was a local parole officer. My PO friend had a brief conversation with the deputy. After about 20 minutes, the deputy rejoined me in the car and actually apologized for his attempts to rile me up. But here's the real point: Officers are human too. It turns out that he also rode a crotch rocket, and after explaining that what I did gave all of "us" a bad name (which I agree with), I could understand how he had the reaction he did.

IF I had not reacted the way I did, I'm sure that things would have been quite a bit more expensive for me. As it was, he let me off with a warning about changing my license over to FL since I'd been there too long already, as well as registering my bike in FL. If I had gotten tickets instead, they would have cost me somewhere around $350 plus the costs of changing my ID & registration. I was 24 at the time. I'm 47 now and have only ever been pulled over twice since that night. My kids got the lesson & advice from me just like I did from my Dad. It's served them well too.

Thanks again for the insight & advice Jeff!
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Here is an article I wrote on jurisdictions in Georgia: http://chiefweems.wordpress.com/jurisdictional-georgia/

Not every state has a "state police" that repsonds to calls for service.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Here is an article I wrote on jurisdictions in Georgia: http://chiefweems.wordpress.com/jurisdictional-georgia/

Not every state has a "state police" that repsonds to calls for service.
    That's interesting to see you guys have constables. Vermont's constitution allows each locale to hire a single constable; they are not POST certified, nor do they even need to have any police training whatsoever. The state in general is moving away from them given the obvious liability and massive amount of errors they make in enforcing the law.

I have a friend who's a Sheriff's Lt. for Orange County, Vermont. Having her explain the Vermont Sheriff's offices was confusing as hell. Apparently, they're more like a private contracting company than a typical LE agency. From the way she explained it, her pay is actually determined based on how many projects she's in....so she gets paid some amount for being on a state task force, gets paid another amount for being a school guidance counselor (S.A.D.D.) and gets a little as base pay for being the Sheriff's Lt. Weird. Also for Vermont Sheriff's Deputies, only full time deputies are required to attend the police academy.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    That's interesting to see you guys have constables. Vermont's constitution allows each locale to hire a single constable; they are not POST certified, nor do they even need to have any police training whatsoever. The state in general is moving away from them given the obvious liability and massive amount of errors they make in enforcing the law.

I have a friend who's a Sheriff's Lt. for Orange County, Vermont. Having her explain the Vermont Sheriff's offices was confusing as hell. Apparently, they're more like a private contracting company than a typical LE agency. From the way she explained it, her pay is actually determined based on how many projects she's in....so she gets paid some amount for being on a state task force, gets paid another amount for being a school guidance counselor (S.A.D.D.) and gets a little as base pay for being the Sheriff's Lt. Weird. Also for Vermont Sheriff's Deputies, only full time deputies are required to attend the police academy.

SC, KY, TN, AR, PA, and TX all have constables in use. I am sure there are others. I have a buddy that is running for a constable position in AR.

I have never actually come across a constable in GA.

What annoys the avg patrol cop.

In 8 years of Full Time Law Enforcement the following is my advice to the average citizen in NC.

Most cops are not "gun guys". Don't expect them to know anything about a gun that's not the actual make/model.

Most cops hate when they walk in and someoone says "hey bo there here to arrest you" or "he did it" thinking they are original. Imagine this as a response every time you walk into a place, every day that you are at work.

I can advocate cutting most people a break on a seat belt, your grown, wear it or don't but you know as an adult that if you hit a tree/car/pole etc that you stand a chance of going thru the windshield and meeting the maker or at the least some very nice doctors/surgeons. That said, the small 3-4 year old or younger standing in the back seat. That's a FAIL, and a do not pass go, get a ticket every time offense. That child doesn't know. That child doesn't understand. That child depends on you as its parent to choose for them.

IF your child of less that 15 slaps you, back talks you, won't listen to you, etc... Calling the police to raise your child wont help. Think back how your parents made you listen? My mind recollects a belt but some are scared of abuse charges. Abuse is defined by DSS workers that Broken Skin, Broken Bones, Lasting marks or Deep Bruises. Short of that, smack that child's ass young and you wont have problems later. If your child got away with shit for 10 years and is now 13, you're going to be in for a long road.

On the other side of that coin, if your 3 to 4 year old is not listening to you in a restaurant and wont sit down and eat the vegetables, PLEASE do NOT tell them "that officer is going to get you if you don't BLANK", or "that officer is going to take you away". That just gives the child fear of the police in a NEGATIVE light.

If you pull up to an intersection or see a traffic accident, look for the Cop directing traffic, NOT at the mangled cars and the "Pretty" Lights. Think about what you are doing. You are driving a 2000 pound rolling weapon. Think about what your attention is focused on. LOOK, Roll down your windows and listen, follow cones, don't attempt to go around the cop cars in weird directions. If there are cones set up that look like a lane of travel and a police/fire in reflective vest waving a flashlight with a yellow/orange cone on the top of it. That would most likely be the area to drive your vehicle thru that lane. There will most likely be pictures of the cars on the news/web later, they will most likely be better than the ones you'll see in person.

If a cop is behind you, please don't freak out, we are not necessarily looking for a reason to pull you over. If we are we will probably find it within a few seconds. Please for the love of GOD, DON'T slow down to 5-10 under the speed limit. IF we turn the blue lights on, either we are stopping you or are about to pass you. PULL to the right when able to do so, making sure that you are not cutting off other drivers, if we follow you into that lane, stop in a safe and controlled manner, acknowledge that we are behind you by turning on your flashers or turn signal reduce speed and pull off the road when able, in an urban environment, pull onto the next side road or parking lot that's well lit. If you have a CCW or a firearm, see below. Place your hands on the steering wheel palms up and take a deep breath. Roll down the window if it works. When the officer approaches he/she will instruct you what they wish for you to do. They should be able to advise the reason that they have stopped you. IF NOT, feel free to request that they contact a supervisor and/or provide their name and badge. Notate a car number on their patrol vehicle (hint, its not 911). Be polite, be professional. Understand I have a boss, like most work places, I get told to do things that I may not agree with. Notate the agency and feel free to stop by and ask for a supervisor or someone to complain to if anything went horribly wrong with your encounter. (if you got a ticket, sorry that's not horribly wrong, that's what a court date is for).

CCW/Weapons.

If you have a firearm in your vehicle, if feasible place it on the dash as your stopped, upon approach of the officer advise them there is a firearm on the dash. DO NOT reach/point/make any quick or sudden movements. If your weapon is in the trunk or cargo area, feel free to tell them or not,
    CCW holders, once you advise the officer as to the fact that you have a CCW, advise them where the weapon is and the condition of same. Ask them if they would like to see/inspect the weapon. Understand I don't normally take a weapon on a traffic stop, even one on the dash. There has to be something else telling me to check it. Other officers do take them normally.

Understand that if you call the Police to handle a situation in which you have been dealing with, We as police officers see 5 minutes of a situation, we get short 2-3 minute conversations about events that have happened possibly for years. We then formulate a plan to deal with this, if we are unable to deal with this or it doesn't fall within our scope of operation, chances are you will be even more frustrated. We don't see people in the best circumstances, we get called when shit is going wrong, its bad, no one calls us when things are going good. Its never the intent or goal of mine or the guys/girls that I work with to take people to jail. I will certainly take those that need to go or insist thru their actions/demeanor to jail. I give each and every call/situation that I respond to, my complete attention and the time and energy I would give if it were my family in need. We are human, sometimes we do get angry, sometimes we make mistakes, just accept that.

That's it for now. This is not legal advice nor is it the opinions of the city in which I am employed. Feel free to express yourself and do what you do.
    Enjoy the weekend supposed to be a beautiful one.

KKJ

KKJ Quote:
    CCW/Weapons.

If you have a firearm in your vehicle, if feasible place it on the dash as your stopped, upon approach of the officer advise them there is a firearm on the dash. DO NOT reach/point/make any quick or sudden movements. If your weapon is in the trunk or cargo area, feel free to tell them or not,
    CCW holders, once you advise the officer as to the fact that you have a CCW, advise them where the weapon is and the condition of same. Ask them if they would like to see/inspect the weapon. Understand I don't normally take a weapon on a traffic stop, even one on the dash. There has to be something else telling me to check it. Other officers do take them normally.
    End Quote

In Iowa we are not required to notify if we are carrying. The one time I interacted with police I immediately told them that I was in possession of a firearm (don't say gun!).

My plan for a traffic stop if carrying are to have my vehicle off, windows rolled down, hands on wheel. When approached retrieve my ID, ccw license (behind my ID in my wallet), insurance and registration. When handing over the documents calmly state, I have a firearm in my possession, here is my permit along with other requested documents.

Does that sound acceptable? I cannot for the life of me think that having a weapon on my dash would be a pleasant sight for an officer in a traffic stop. It would be disconcerting to me as the person in possession to pull my firearm and place it on the dash while an officer might be approaching my vehicle.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Shocker,

Your plan seems to be well thought out. Here in NC, if you are a CCW permit holder you are required to tell us IF you are actually carrying a gun. We have a "plain view" carry which means as long as the gun is in plain view, I can't charge you with CCW if you're not a permit holder, I have no understanding of laws in other states. When I was in the academy in 03, I was taught that on traffic stops, always scan certain areas, the dash was the first after checking the suspect prior to making it to the interview area of a traffic stop. Agreed yelling "ive got a gun" as the officer is walking up is probably a really really bad idea. calmly stating, I am a concealed carry permit holder and there is a firearm in the glove box/on my right/left hip, etc.

I have been as a prior to being LEO and since being one, in my POV. My take was hands palm up on steering wheel. Trooper or cop approached the window, I advised them the following,

Prior to being LEO, "Sir, I am a NC Concealed Weapon Permit Holder, I have a firearm located on my left hip in a holster, and my wallet with the id you requested is in pocket X, how do you wish for me to proceed".

Since being LEO, "Sir, I am an off-duty cop and concealed weapons permit holder, I am in possession of my carry gun, it is located (fill in blank), My creds are in my back left pocket and my wallet with drivers license and ccw are in my back right pocket. How do you wish for me to proceed."

I have never had any issues, I routinely ask coworkers and the First Year officers that I have trained how they handle that and all agree that it was a solid proceedure and have adopted it as theirs. If I have a stop with a weapon involved, I'll advise the driver or passenger of the process I have laid out here for their benefit if they were to encounter Law Enforcement again.

"If you have a firearm in your vehicle, if feasible place it on the dash as your stopped, upon approach of the officer advise them there is a firearm on the dash. "
    You would NOT want to do this in California...

User Tag List