Thread: Removing Beretta 92 grip screw bushing?

Removing Beretta 92 grip screw bushing?

Got an order in from Langdon Tactical this afternoon with a set of LTT grips for my Beretta 92F along with some other parts. Put the grips on just fine and when tightening down one of the screws (factory Beretta hex-head screws) the head broke clean off. A stub of the screw remained in the bushing, but was not tall enough to get ahold of to turn out. I drilled out the stub with a 1/16" drill bit in the hopes of being able to then turn the stub out of the bushing, but had no luck. Here's a picture of where things stand now:

Any thoughts on how to remove the stub of the grip screw? Or am I better off just removing and replacing the whole bushing? If that's the best course of action, how should I go about removing the bushing?
    Last edited by oregon45; 01-13-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Should have mentioned @LangdonTactical in the original post, and also noted that the broken grip screw almost certainly was the result of my over-torquing while waiting for the screw to bottom-out. I should have reminded myself not to wait for that cue when using a rubber washer between the screw and grips
    Last edited by oregon45; 01-13-2020 at 09:05 PM.

I did that with my 92FS. I ended up having to send it back to Beretta who took care of it at no charge.

Tried a broken screw remover and was able to remove the whole bushing without damaging the frame threads. Going to install a new bushing from Brownells and see how it works.

Last edited by oregon45; 01-14-2020 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Tried a broken screw remover and was able to remove the whole bushing without damaging the frame threads. Going to install a new bushing from Brownells and see how it works.

Looks like you did it correctly. Use some red loc-tite when you put it back together and you should be good to go. It happens and that is why there is a bushing between the grip screw and the frame.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

User Tag List