Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DoubleTap 38 Special 148gr Hardcast Wadcutter

DoubleTap 38 Special 148gr Hardcast Wadcutter

Anybody try these and/or use these? They are available at my local LGS. Wondering if this is good quality ammo with decent QC.

Doubletap has always been decent quality but they have done a few things that keep me away from them.
    They have a habit of way overstating velocities.
    They also have a habit of swapping bullet suppliers with no notice, so a round that performs great today might not be the same round you get in your next order of supposedly the exact same SKU.

I think that Underwood and Buffalo Bore are better boutique manufacturers.

If these wadcutters are a one and done purchase so you can have something to shoot or carry until you find something else, it's a pretty safe buy.
    If you plan on building an ammo stash around this particular load, wait until you find some Black Hills or Buffalo Bore.
    IMO
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-13-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    I ran a box through my LCR a while back. It wasn't particularly memorable. A bit dirty and slightly more expensive for 50 than Federal Match Wadcutters.

Chris

What Military or LEO organization uses Double tap?

What Military or LEO agency uses Black Hills?

They are the manufacturer of the Colt Defense and Colt National Match Ammunition lines. Other than that I don't know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

What military or leo agency uses 38 special wadcutters?

Not sure what your criteria is meant to imply...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I ran a box through my LCR a while back. It wasn't particularly memorable. A bit dirty and slightly more expensive for 50 than Federal Match Wadcutters.

Chris
    I like the idea that the wadcutters used are hard cast. I looked into the Federal Gold Match but I would have to order them in but the price + shipping makes them a little pricey just to try a few. I can get the Doubletap at the LGS for about $30 for a box of 50 including tax. Did they seem to be loaded a little hotter than some?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Doubletap has always been decent quality but they have done a few things that keep me away from them.
    They have a habit of way overstating velocities.
    They also have a habit of swapping bullet suppliers with no notice, so a round that performs great today might not be the same round you get in your next order of supposedly the exact same SKU.

I think that Underwood and Buffalo Bore are better boutique manufacturers.

If these wadcutters are a one and done purchase so you can have something to shoot or carry until you find something else, it's a pretty safe buy.
    If you plan on building an ammo stash around this particular load, wait until you find some Black Hills or Buffalo Bore.
    IMO
    Thanks for your input.

I would buy one box and test them in my wife's M638. If all is good I would probably but one more box for stash and reload a duplicate for her practice loads.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What military or leo agency uses 38 special wadcutters?

Not sure what your criteria is meant to imply...

Chris
    It is about QC. Black Hills should not be used in the same sentence as DT, Underwood, BB, Cor-Bon etc. Those companies market to Unicorn chasers (nothing against a company for understanding the average inter-web ammo forum reader).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post

The US Military uses Black Hills for certain applications: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...1-review/99098

I don't know anyone using Double Tap.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List