Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Approves Pistol Mounted Optics

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Approves Pistol Mounted Optics

Well... after many years of work, today the LASD authorized PMOs. The 2-day classes will start soon and there are some requirements (expert qual, some survey requirements and extra qualifications over the first six months, after which the program will be evaluated to see if it can/should be opened up to non-expert qualified department members. Cooperation with LAPD was instrumental in pushing the process forward and I am very grateful for their help.

Initial optics approved will be Trijicon RMR type 2, Aimpoint ACRO, and Sig Sauer Romeo 1PRO. No milling or dovetail mounts - must be a factory optic compatible configuration with useable iron sights with the optic installed.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Well... after many years of work, today the LASD authorized PMOs. The 2-day classes will start soon and there are some requirements (expert qual, some survey requirements and extra qualifications over the first six months, after which the program will be evaluated to see if it can/should be opened up to non-expert qualified department members. Cooperation with LAPD was instrumental in pushing the process forward and I am very grateful for their help.

Initial optics approved will be Trijicon RMR type 2, Aimpoint ACRO, and Sig Sauer Romeo 1PRO. No milling or dovetail mounts - must be a factory optic compatible configuration with useable iron sights with the optic installed.
    Soooooo......you guys have the results of their study, then? Interesting, those three optics. Mirrors what Tony at Sig told us months ago. Looking forward to seeing how this goes. The future is now.....but I still want my damn flying car.

First, congratulations.

Will be very interested in your experiences with the Romeo 1 Pro. The Romeo 1 was commonly known for failing to hold zero, which is obviously a liability for LE use. A retail guy I know, who sells high volumes of red dots, says the Romeo 1 was his most returned (for being defective) optic he sold. We have two of the new Romeo 1 Pros, one in heavy use on a Legion and the second in light use on a 320 X Compact. Both are fine so far, but I was speaking with someone at a match recently that has two Romeo 1 Pros, that both broke at low round counts and are back at Sig.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

CONGRATULATIONS! Very nicely done.

Site Supporter
    Does LASD still have a liberal personally owned weapons policy?

Congrats on getting the system approved. I’ve always been impressed with the weapons usage and knowledge by LAPD and LASD.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    First, congratulations.

Will be very interested in your experiences with the Romeo 1 Pro. The Romeo 1 was commonly known for failing to hold zero, which is obviously a liability for LE use. A retail guy I know, who sells high volumes of red dots, says the Romeo 1 was his most returned (for being defective) optic he sold. We have two of the new Romeo 1 Pros, one in heavy use on a Legion and the second in light use on a 320 X Compact. Both are fine so far, but I was speaking with someone at a match recently that has two Romeo 1 Pros, that both broke at low round counts and are back at Sig.
    Thanks everyone!

As to the Romeo 1 Pro, I don’t want to say too much right now officially except it passed testing where others did not. Since there is more than one department involved I don’t want to speak out of turn.

Setting official stuff aside I’ll give my personal take on the optics. I own two type 2 RMRs (RM06 and RM07) and had a type 1 RM02. I sold the RM02 with the Glock it was mounted on because it became clear we’d only be approving the type 2 optics and I wanted to focus on M&Ps... Of course, what did I do this weekend but buy a Glock 19 Gen4 MOS. It will get a RM09. I have never had a problem with any of my RMRs, and that type 1 went almost 10,000 rounds without issue before I sold it.

I had a M&P 2.0 milled for a DPP and sold it when it became clear the Department wouldn’t go for milling. The writing was also pretty much on the wall at that point that the DPP wouldn’t be authorized. As I mentioned in another thread, our staff has one DPP that has gone over 40,000 rounds. The window cracked at around 18,000 rounds and the “wake up” feature failed at close to 40,000. It will still turn off if not moved but has to be manually turned on. Otherwise it still works. We have had three (out of I think five or six) other DPPs fail...a rate far higher than the RMR... which has had no failures in probably 25 different optic units.

The ACRO. I like it. I’m going to get one for the M&P 2.0 CORE I have on order. We have a couple in use and one has gone probably close to if not over 20,000 rounds. No issues but batteries are changed regularly and the optic is turned off when not in use. The ACRO is a great representation of an advancement in the technology (enclosed emitter) and I think that as time goes on we’ll see this concept develop even more. I guess the iron sights are barely visible in the optic windows with stock 2.0 sights. I don’t have a big problem with this as long as they “are” visible but some might. Aftermarket sights would take care of this.

Sig Romeo Optics. My only personal experience with them was using a P320 with a Romeo 1 in a Sig Academy Red Dot instructor class. I fired around 1,100 rounds and it worked pretty well. The “wake up” feature didn’t seem to work on one draw on the second day. I b-slapped the side of the gun and it turned on. Didn’t have any more problems. It’s not my favorite and I won’t be buying one, but to each their own investment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Does LASD still have a liberal personally owned weapons policy?

Congrats on getting the system approved. I’ve always been impressed with the weapons usage and knowledge by LAPD and LASD.
    The policy is pretty open. M&Ps, Glocks, Berettas, Sig Classic series, HK USP/P30/HK45, 1911s from ten manufacturers plus STI, some older guns, most in both 9mm and .45 Auto. A wider range of handguns for backup and off-duty.

The past 15 years has been great progress. The past five years has blown all my expectations of anything that could ever happen.

Any updates on the Romeo1 Pro's are doing? I'm leaning towards picking up an X Series slide with 6 MOA Romeo1 Pro for an entry into red dot world.

https://www.provenoutfitters.com/xse...pro-6moa-18527
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Any updates on the Romeo1 Pro's are doing? I'm leaning towards picking up an X Series slide with 6 MOA Romeo1 Pro for an entry into red dot world.

https://www.provenoutfitters.com/xse...pro-6moa-18527
    If you’re familiar with/like the Sig P320, I would (based on limited experience that is discussed further in the other thread in this sub forum about departments and Sig optics) feel confident with the setup you linked.

What I will add here, since it is not the same as the other thread (and I don’t want to be both wordy and redundant... that’s super- uncool) is that the dot size (6MOA) is something that you will probably want to explore.

If you’re like me, the proof needs some first-person confirmation. That’s even more important with dot size, and it can even vary between manufacturers and models. I have optics in lots of dot sizes. I really like the RMR and SRO 1MOA, but the ACRO 3.5MOA works really well too. I loved my first 6.5MOA RMR but not as happy with my current 6.5MOA. I like my Holosuns (2MOA) as well.

I say all this because you can get good with all those dot sizes, but individuals will prefer different sizes for different reasons that include overall vision, astigmatism, experience, skill, environment, and intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    If you’re familiar with/like the Sig P320, I would (based on limited experience that is discussed further in the other thread in this sub forum about departments and Sig optics) feel confident with the setup you linked. What I will add here, since it is not the same as the other thread (and I don’t want to be both wordy and redundant... that’s super- uncool) is that the dot size (6MOA) is something that you will probably want to explore.
    The agency has decided that I will be OK with the P320 and frankly, they've worked well for me so far. I appreciate the dot size considerations. As best I can tell, Sig has the 6 MOA models in-stock but the 3 MOA dots aren't available. I'm limited in access to different dot size and may just be patient for a bit.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List