Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Instapot thread

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    True potheads can take it too far. Example - hard boiling eggs. I don’t like doing them on the stove, but I have a small, cheap egg cooker that does six in about 12 minutes. Why would I want to haul out the IP for that?
    The Instant Pot boiled eggs peel really easily and cleanly. This is nice if making deviled eggs. We like to top each deviled egg with a piece of smoked salmon and a sprig of fresh dill. We've never had any left over. They're a hit.

Rosco

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    The Instant Pot boiled eggs peel really easily and cleanly. This is nice if making deviled eggs. We like to top each deviled egg with a piece of smoked salmon and a sprig of fresh dill. We've never had any left over. They're a hit.

Rosco
    That’s the thing - so are the ones from my little $14 standalone egg cooker, and they’re done before the IP is even up to pressure. Much less fuss, cleanup and probably electricity. I love my IP, but...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

How to Cook the Best Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/i...e=Recipe%20Hub
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yup, they won't do anything a regular pressure cooker can't do
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I gave several for Christmas gifts this year. The latest iteration has a Sous Vide function...
    I'm ambivalent about the instant pot for most things, but the sous vide function makes fantastic meat (albeit in limited quantities). I still use a separate pan for searing - the saute feature doesn't brown meat as well (it takes too long which starts to overcook the inside).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just curious why you slow cook the chicken? We pressure cook it for 8 min. Easy to shred at that point.
    Just this week proofed this for a pot luck. Chicken thighs went from the freezer to the pressure cooker. Added a cupish of buttermilk, a half a jar of green chile (505 Hatch Roast) a bit of garlic powder (the Costco house brand is the best garlic powder I have found. Much closer to garlic aroma and flavor than everything else out there) and a bit of salt. Pressure cook for 30 min. Chicken fell apart when removed with tongs.

One thing I forgot to mention...reviewing the recipe, starch. A quart of buttermilk, five or six cloves of garlic, a healthy pinch of salt, 12oz to a pound of green chile (I used Bueno Autumn Roast) and 2-3 Tbs of flour get buzzed up in the blender. The original recipe says to simmer on the stove and taste to correct seasonings. I don't do that. Layer with corn tortillas, shredded chicken thighs, yellow onions and cheese till the pan is full. 45 minutes at 350. Three coworkers requested the recipe.

Thank you for the tip! Just the tip.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 05-09-2020 at 12:28 AM.

I wonder how ribs would come out if they were rubbed, then cold smoked with applewood before going in the pressure cooker. Might have to give it a whirl.

Welp, just ordered one of the duo evo 6qt (8qt was OOS) for my gf for mother's day and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Thanks to this thread. She does a lot of soups/stews in crock pot or stove top, so she may like that this is quicker. Tons of recipes online mean lots to try. If she ends up not liking it I'll probably post it for sale here, but I think she will.

Go here & start reading. Folks have been using this for years.
    https://forums.egullet.org/topic/151...cooker-part-1/
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    I wonder how ribs would come out if they were rubbed, then cold smoked with applewood before going in the pressure cooker. Might have to give it a whirl.
    I've been disappointed with IP ribs. I've tried it about 6 times now without results even close than what I get on a pellet smoker after 4 hours. They're o.k. and we'll do them when we're in a hurry. This is the recipe that I had the best luck with.. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/26...tant-pot-ribs/

User Tag List