Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Instapot thread

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    All done to taste. There are no rules here.
    ^^^Pretty much gospel!

Big fan here. Do you like risotto? This is killer:

https://www.happyfoodstube.com/insta...icken-risotto/

I’m generally not a huge fan of pasta in the IP, but I just saw a “dump” lasagna recipe I want to try:

https://12tomatoes.com/instant-pot-lazy-lasagna/

There is a decent FB group for IP recipes. If you’re interested I’ll find the actual name.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Just automates the pressure cooking. I have something similar and like it a lot.

Add chunked Chicken, beef or pork into the Instapot along with some 505 Hatch Valley Green Salsa, also available at Costco. Reserve some to add later.
    Optional: Add a spoon of Better than Bouillon (Also from Costco, also available in beef)
    Cook for 20 minutes, depending on the type of meat.
    The pressure cooker will probably liquify the salsa, so add reserved salsa back in after the cook.
    Garnish with cilantro, sour cream and mexican cheese.
    Last edited by David S.; 01-12-2020 at 10:21 PM.
    David S.

Student
    Seems like I overhear a lot of folks talking about Halfbaked Harvest and Salt Fat Acid Heat. I think their brands along with an Instapot and an Anova have probably skyrocketed on a similar level as iPods did during the early years of the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns, thanks to BuzzFeed and Netflix.

https://www.halfbakedharvest.com/hea...ot-coq-au-vin/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k20qKPNJsFc

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...pot?verso=true

Site Supporter
    I gave several for Christmas gifts this year. The latest iteration has a Sous Vide function...$65 sale at Costco right before Christmas.

Soups, stews, ribs, are all good. Tamales before christmas. Beef roasts. The 505 chopped Hatch green with chicken makes great tacos and enchiladas. Tomorrow night I am making a pot of pintos in the electric pressure cooker and red chile. Hotwings were ok (better sous vide then roasted in a hot oven). Going to do Alton Brown's Lamb Tika with chicken thighs in it later this week. Wife is begging for Serious Eats split pea soup done in the pressure cooker with ham.

I use mine at least once a week.

pat

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    A dry pound of black beans. Sort, rinse 3-4 times in clear water, then soak in a quart and a half of water for 6-12 hours. Don't pour out the water; use it as the water for the stew.
    A pound and a half of potatoes diced. I prefer organic because glyphosate. Leave the peels on wherever they aren't green underneath.
    Two pounds of beef sliced up.

I do slow-cook setting anywhere from 2-4 hours. It doesn't get hot enough to fully cook the meat or transform the potatoes, but it gets a lot more juices out of stuff. (Potatoes are still hard and square-edged after four hours. You want them soft and easily cut with a spoon against the pot.) Then I stir it thoroughly and run the meat stew setting. I had a lot of trouble before I worked out the process with it detecting a burn and stopping the cooking process.

Once it's done cycling and opens the vent, I add onion powder, black pepper and salt. Will try some garlic powder on my next one. Stir it up and distribute into glass containers for refrigeration. I don't put salt in while cooking, because I don't want to corrode the steel. I don't store it in the pot because I don't want the metal taste to leech into the food.

I reheat and eat a pound and a half of this in a meal. Recipe above makes four meals.

https://youtu.be/mHXBL6bzAR4?t=91

I tried the recipe in a crock pot over the holidays, and it sucked. The potatoes didn't get hot enough and never tasted good.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Dood, I got one on sale because I heard they could make awesome carnitas and it's been worth it just for the kick-ass Carnitas.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Aside from the fact that the gizmo is inaccurately named -- "instant" my ass! -- HH6 is very happy with the one we got at Costco before Christmas. The other night she made country style ribs, and when she grabbed a bone with the tongs she realized that she had essentially made pulled pork: It wasn't "fall off the bone" tender only because it wouldn't stay on the bone long enough to pick up.

A couple of weeks ago she brought home the cheapest chuck roast she could find, and the same thing happened.

We took advantage of the fact that the King County Library System has about 600 Instant Pot cookbooks to, um, survey the field.

This one wasn't purchased, but it possible a few of the recipes were photocopied: The Keto Instant Pot Cookbook: Ketogenic Diet Pressure Cooker Recipes Made Easy and Fast: Urvashi Pitre: 9781641520430: AmazonSmile: Books

America's Test Kitchen, how could you go wrong? Multicooker Perfection: Cook It Fast or Cook It Slow-You Decide: America's Test Kitchen: 9781945256288: AmazonSmile: Books
    (We also got their sou vide cookbook, picked up an Instant Pot brand sou vide thingy for Prime Day: Sous Vide for Everybody: The Easy, Foolproof Cooking Technique That's Sweeping the World: America's Test Kitchen: 9781945256493: AmazonSmile: Books)

She really likes this one: The Instant Pot Bible: More than 350 Recipes and Strategies: The Only Book You Need for Every Model of Instant Pot: Bruce Weinstein, Mark Scarbrough: 9780316524612: AmazonSmile: Books
    Last edited by Drang; 01-13-2020 at 02:20 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Ribs are my favorite meat to do in the IP. Most other meats I prefer in more traditional cooking methods, but the IP still does a pretty damn good job of being simple and easy to clean. We pre cook ribs for camping trips, vacuum seal them, then just crisp them up over the fire and they are always a big hit.

Baked potatoes come out great at about 12 minutes in the IP. We use it for that for sides a lot.
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

User Tag List