Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Instapot thread

Tonight I simply saute'd some carrots, celery, onions and garlic in the IP, while I chopped up some cauliflower and broccoli. I made up a quart of beef "juice" from some "Better than Bullion" beef base. Chopped up some chicken/basil/garlic organic sausages. Tossed the whole mess in the IP with a tsp of Italian seasoning. Set it for 5 minutes and walked away. Went out to the shop and put the rear suspension back in my snowmobile. Came back in 45 minutes later to a nice nutritious soup.

Yes, I could have put the whole thing on the stove and boiled it up. Simmered for an hour our so. That would have required me to monitor it for safety. The IP lets me just go on with my day and I have less issues with it than my crockpot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Awesome. Ordered.
    You will enjoy it. Every fall we get a 30 pound sack roasted that we peel, seed, and freeze. When we run out (usually quicker than we expect) this makes a decent backup.

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    You will enjoy it. Every fall we get a 30 pound sack roasted that we peel, seed, and freeze. When we run out (usually quicker than we expect) this makes a decent backup.

pat
    I just got mine in today and it’s really good. I like peppers and spice on everything, so it’s a good buy for me. So far, I had it with soup.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Easiest Chicken Enchiladas ever.

Set your Instant pot to slow cooker mode. Put in a few chicken thighs (or breasts, if your not into the whole flavor thing)and a half jar or so of that green chile. Maybe some garlic. Let it slow cook until you can essentially pull the chicken like pulled pork. (At this point you can use it for tacos, burritos, tamales, or sandwiches) Take about a half jar of the green chile,and some salt (more than you think you will need), and some garlic and toss it in the blender with a pint to a pint and a half of buttermilk... ladle some of the buttermilk mixture into the bottom of a pan, cassarole dish, or even into the Instant Pot again, sprayed with non-stick spray*. Top the buttermilk mixture with corn tortillas, some of the pulled chicken, chopped yellow onion**, more buttermilk mixture, cheese. Repeat to desired depth. Bake at 350-425 until cheese on top is browned to your liking. Serve like lasagne, but with sour cream, and maybe an over easy egg on top.

*If using the Instant Pot you can make it similar to a crock pot lasagne, but you won't get the cheese to brown up. I prefer a 9x13 glass baking dish.

**My wife can't eat onion any more, so I frequently leave it out, but enchiladas are not enchiladas without little chunks of raw onion here and there.

Good fresh out of the oven, better as leftovers, even good cold the next morning. Serve with cold beer.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-17-2020 at 10:54 PM.

Easiest Chicken Enchiladas ever.

Set your Instant pot to slow cooker mode. Put in a few chicken thighs (or breasts, if your not into the whole flavor thing)and a half jar or so of that green chile. Maybe some garlic. Let it slow cook until you can essentially pull the chicken like pulled pork. (At this point you can use it for tacos, burritos, tamales, or sandwiches) Take about a half jar of the green chile,and some salt (more than you think you will need), and some garlic and toss it in the blender with a pint to a pint and a half of buttermilk... ladle some of the buttermilk mixture into the bottom of a pan, cassarole dish, or even into the Instant Pot again, sprayed with non-stick spray*. Top the buttermilk mixture with corn tortillas, some of the pulled chicken, chopped yellow onion**, more buttermilk mixture, cheese. Repeat to desired depth. Bake at 350-425 until cheese on top is browned to your liking. Serve like lasagne, but with sour cream, and maybe an over easy egg on top.

*If using the Instant Pot you can make it similar to a crock pot lasagne, but you won't get the cheese to brown up. I prefer a 9x13 glass baking dish.

**My wife can't eat onion any more, so I frequently leave it out, but enchiladas are not enchiladas without little chunks of raw onion here and there.

Good fresh out of the oven, better as leftovers, even good cold the next morning. Serve with cold beer.

pat
    Just curious why you slow cook the chicken? We pressure cook it for 8 min. Easy to shred at that point.

Site Supporter
    Started this with an old school honest to goodness crock pot. Slow cooking never let me down, and never felt like playing with the pressure cooker to figure it out. Now that you are teling me 8 min, gonna have to give it a try...

pat

Site Supporter
    Started this with an old school honest to goodness crock pot. Slow cooking never let me down, and never felt like playing with the pressure cooker to figure it out. Now that you are teling me 8 min, gonna have to give it a try...

pat
    Sometimes the slow cooker is the way to go, sometimes the pressure cooker is right tool. Your kitchen is a toolbox, equip it accordingly.

We have 4 crock pots in 3 different sizes.

Chris

I’m going to make a IP lasagna today. The recipe I used came out well, but I didn’t care for the seasoning. This time I’m adjusting the recipe a little...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

pat
    Typically I pressure cook the chicken in a little chicken broth mixture. Now I'm going to try it with the green chilies like you do it for slow cooking. Maybe we'll both learn

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Is that Hatch Valley Salsa good or does it have strong vinegar taste?
    Just noticed it's no longer available at my local Costco. It is on Amazon tho.
    David S.

User Tag List