Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Instapot thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    ...my family would revolt (they're pretty revolting anyway).

In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    Ribs in 45 minutes y'all. I do rather like this instantpot thing

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Just automates the pressure cooking. I have something similar and like it a lot.

Add chunked Chicken, beef or pork into the Instapot along with some 505 Hatch Valley Green Salsa, also available at Costco. Reserve some to add later.
    Optional: Add a spoon of Better than Bouillon (Also from Costco, also available in beef)
    Cook for 20 minutes, depending on the type of meat.
    The pressure cooker will probably liquify the salsa, so add reserved salsa back in after the cook.
    Garnish with cilantro, sour cream and mexican cheese.
    Is that Hatch Valley Salsa good or does it have strong vinegar taste?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Is that Hatch Valley Salsa good or does it have strong vinegar taste?
    Very good. The Costco version doesn’t contain vinegar, so no vinegar taste. Ingredients are just Chile peppers, salt, garlic and lime juice. I don’t know about any of their other products.
    David S.

Wife uses her IP to cook everything, including rice. She bought IP's for everyone in the family, 4 I think. She was going to throw the crockpot out and I stopped her because I cook my beans in that pot. I like to cook my rice in a rice cooker also. So far she's thrown out 2 perfectly good rice cookers. Went to cook some rice the other day and no rice cooker. So I went online and found out how to do it in a regular pot on a stove. Done in 20 minutes. IP takes about 40, or at least the way she cooks it and you need the manual.

I'm not so sure the IP isn't something someone dreamed up to sell more kitchen appliances not unlike the 357 Sig cartridge was for LE. Our cupboard is crammed to the gunwales with all of these magnificent kitchen alliances that were used for a few years and forgotten. I'm thinking the IP won't last long.

OK Boomer.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-14-2020 at 11:21 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Wife uses her IP to cook everything, including rice. She bought IP's for everyone in the family, 4 I think. She was going to throw the crockpot out and I stopped her because I cook my beans in that pot. I like to cook my rice in a rice cooker also. So far she's thrown out 2 perfectly good rice cookers. Went to cook some rice the other day and no rice cooker. So I went online and found out how to do it in a regular pot on a stove. Done in 20 minutes. IP takes about 40, or at least the way she cooks it and you need the manual.

I'm not so sure the IP isn't something someone dreamed up to sell more kitchen appliances not unlike the 357 Sig cartridge was for LE. Our cupboard is crammed to the gunwales with all of these magnificent kitchen alliances that were used for a few years and forgotten. I'm thinking the IP won't last long.

OK Boomer.
    True potheads can take it too far. Example - hard boiling eggs. I don’t like doing them on the stove, but I have a small, cheap egg cooker that does six in about 12 minutes. Why would I want to haul out the IP for that?

Or pasta and (like you said) rice? Both are better on the stove, with one exception - risotto.

Basically, the IP is killer for many things but a parlor trick for others. You still need to select the right tool for the job...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    True potheads can take it too far. Example - hard boiling eggs. I don’t like doing them on the stove, but I have a small, cheap egg cooker that does six in about 12 minutes. Why would I want to haul out the IP for that?

Or pasta and (like you said) rice? Both are better on the stove, with one exception - risotto.

Basically, the IP is killer for many things but a parlor trick for others. You still need to select the right tool for the job...

Amen on the risotto
    Last edited by vaglocker; 01-14-2020 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Very good. The Costco version doesn’t contain vinegar, so no vinegar taste. Ingredients are just Chile peppers, salt, garlic and lime juice. I don’t know about any of their other products.
    Awesome. Ordered.
    #RESIST

I won one at our Christmas party drawing. I had no idea what the heck this was. I learned over the holidays what it was and how to use it, and WOW! In fact, just made some basmati rice.

I cobbled thus from several online recipes and from my own slow-cooker recipe:

Instant Pot Barbacoa Beef
    Prep Time: 15 mins
    Cook Time: 75 mins
    Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
    Yield: 6 servings 1x
    Category: Main Dish

Ingredients
    2 packs cachete (cheek), trimmed
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    1 yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
    4-5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 cup water
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 bay leaves

Instructions
    Cut the meat into 4-6 large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat.
    Press saute button on the Instant Pot and add the vegetable oil. Add half of the roast chunks. Brown completely on each side. Remove to a plate and brown the second half of the meat. Remove from the Instant Pot.
    With the Instant Pot still on saute, add the onion and cook until it starts to become translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano and cook an additional minute. Pour in the water, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaves. Stir to combine, then add the meat back into the Instant Pot.
    Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock. Select high pressure for 60 minutes, using the stay-warm option.
    When the pot beeps, allow the pressure to naturally release. Once the pin has dropped, remove the lid and, using a set of tongs, remove the meat from the instant pot to a cutting board. Use 2 forks to shred the beef. Remove the majority of the liquid. Once shredded, return to the Instant Pot and stir to coat the meat in the leftover juices. Serve it up on corn tortillas, diced onions, cilantro and hot sauce. Awesome barbacoa tacos!
    Last edited by sparkyv; 01-15-2020 at 07:11 PM.

User Tag List