Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Instapot thread

Instapot thread

We got one of these for Christmas, it seems like this could making cooking interesting for me. Got any good recipes?
    #RESIST

Subscribed.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Baby back ribs.

Cut into lengths that will stand up in the instant pot bowl and clear the lid.
    Rub with your favorite spice rub. (best to let sit overnight)
    Add 1 cup water and 1/2 cup of apple juice into instant pot. Arrange rib pieces standing up in instant pot.
    Pressure cook with timer set for 30-35 minutes.
    When done, vent pressure off and remove ribs. Place them on a baking pan or broiling pan.
    Brush with BBQ sauce and broil in oven for about 3 minutes to carmelize sauce.

Fall off the bone tender ribs in under an hour.

Pretty good polenta with no stirring? Cacio e pepe with polenta instead of spaghetti/pasta:
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/polenta-cacio-e-pepe

The recipe calls for pecorino, which is nice. Parm works just fine. Goat gouda is a good substitution, as is Manchego.

Definitely take the advice in the comments and omit the initial simmer. From what little I've seen of her material, bon appetit's InstantPot contributor doesn't truly understand (or trust) it. It routinely seems to be one step among several, instead of one step.
    Last edited by fly out; 01-12-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Site Supporter
    Funny timing for this thread as SWMBO is downstairs cooking dinner in our Instant Pot.

One of our favorite recipes, though not what we're having tonight, is beef roast.

Take a flat chuck roast, salt/pepper it, and brown using Saute function.

While that is going on, mix 1/2 red wine (reserve rest for chef) with A1 and What'sThisHere Sauce (probably 1/8 cup each, but it's really to taste and viscosity).
    Add equal amounts of thyme, oregano, and parsley. Probably 1/4-1/2 teaspoon, but to taste really.
    Add a teaspoon+ of cumin (I like cumin with beef).
    Add 1/8 teaspoon salt
    Add a shitload of pepper. SWMBO loves pepper.
    All done to taste. There are no rules here.
    Mix well and set aside.

Slice onions, as many or as few as you like. We like onions.
    Once your roast is browned on all sides, lay it flat in the pot, arrange onions all over and around, then pour your marinade over it all.
    Close IP and set to pressure cook for 50-60 mins depending on the size of the roast and how gnarly the connective tissue is.
    Once it completes the pressure cook cycle, allow it to come down to ambient pressure naturally (no quick release).
    Once you can open the damn thing, mix a tablespoon of corn starch with 1/3 cup water and set aside.
    Remove meat and most of the onions from the IP and set on a platter.
    Use a stick blender to chop up remaining onions and any other solids, small animals, etc inside the IP.
    Turn IP to Saute
    Add corn starch mixture and stir, stir, stir.
    When the resulting gravy reaches your desired level of thickness (it's thicc! in the vernacular of my kids), turn the IP off and transfer the gravy to a gravy boat, beer stein, your enemy's skull.

Serve roast and onions with mashed taters. Drown them in the gravy you made.
    You need more carbs, get some crusty bread for soppin'.

This recipe is not writ in stone, modify to your tastes. I'd add hot peppers to the pressure cook stage, but my family would revolt (they're pretty revolting anyway).
    Don't go too lean on the roast though as it won't tenderize as well.

Enjoy!

Chris

Site Supporter
    SIL got FIL to ask my wife for an Instapot recipe a few months ago. Wife, of course, didn’t have one b/c we didn’t have an Instapot.

Guess what SIL gave us for Christmas!

I don’t have a hipster doofus Instapot. I do have a pressure cooker that hasn’t assploded and killed me yet.

Any curry or stew is way better cooked under pressure.

http://www.khanapakana.com/ For Indian / Pakistani type recipes
    Last edited by Greg; 01-12-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I don’t have a hipster doofus Instapot. I do have a pressure cooker that hasn’t assploded and killed me yet.
    Yup, they won't do anything a regular pressure cooker can't do, something I could NOT convince my MIL of even though she has been cooking with pressure cookers all her life.

I bought one for us because I thought it would provide more granular control, which it didn't (should have RTFM before purchase). Also, the pressure cooker we used to have was a PITA to get sealed. The IP is much easier in that regard.

That said, some folks are intimidated by pressure cookers and the IP is a bit more "user friendly".

Chris

Got one of the older models and have used the living hell out of it.

1) As a slow cooker a crock pot is still the way to go. It works, but isn't optimal.

2) Never have got rice or pasta like I like it.

3) For roast, stew pork chops with gravy, and the like it's friggin awesome.

4) For beans I still prefer my porcelain cast iron dutch oven.

My wife's favorite dish is this. This is so quick and easy it ought to be illegal.

1 package tenderized round steak at least 1.5 lbs cut up into 1.5" cubes.
    2 cans petite diced tomatoes
    1 small can of tomato sauce
    1 chopped onion
    1 large chopped bell pepper
    1/4 cup of dry chopped parsley
    Italian seasoning or Cavenders Greek seasoning to taste (I'm prone to using a bit of both)
    Beef broth or from concentrate with water

I season the round steak with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper and saute it in a tablespoon of olive oil to just brown.
    Add the italian seasoning or cavenders greek seasoning and dump everything else in adding a bit of water and/or broth, I usually just rinse out the tomato cans a little, so probably 12oz? This is personal preference but you need some water in there. Close it up and pressure cook on manual for 15-20 minutes. ETA: Wait at least 10 minutes or let pressure come down on it's own. Meats are more tender if you let the pressure come down slowly.

Serve over rice.
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 01-12-2020 at 06:32 PM.

User Tag List