Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 21st Century Revolver 'smithing

21st Century Revolver 'smithing

In the old days if you wanted a bobbed hammer it required a cut off tool and quite a bit of polishing. If you bought a new hammer it was a long time fitting, stoning a bit at a time.

Everyone hates on MIM, but I bought this Apex hammer from Brownell's during their BF 12% off sale and it sat on my bench for a while. Today being bored I decided to try it in my 19 Carry Comp. It dripped right in, no fitting and I swear the action is better than with the original "Performance Center" fit hammer. Now to go bust a few commercial reloads out back to be sure it still hits hard enough to set anything off.

The old school forged hammers still look nice all bobbed and polished though ...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That holster is giving me a hankering for...

I remember when my old partner took my model 36 and bobbed the hammer in his garage. I thought I was gonna shit until I saw how nice a job he'd done with it. I miss that gun and regret having traded it in 1995 or 1996 at the local cop shop, Lou's Police Supply, in Hialeah, FL.
    Last edited by blues; 01-12-2020 at 02:50 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    ... I swear the action is better than with the original "Performance Center" fit hammer.
    You say that like you believe the PC is anything but a label on the box of some guns with unique features. Maybe someone who knows the inside of the factory will say different, but there's damn little evidence of it out here.

Blue Bell ice cream is not where it's at. I didn't take enough chemistry in college to know what the heck all those ingredients are. Compare to Breyer's for a wake-up.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Blue Bell ice cream is not where it's at. I didn't take enough chemistry in college to know what the heck all those ingredients are. Compare to Breyer's for a wake-up.
    Thanks, mom.

We actually grew up on Breyer's so Blue Bell was kind of an exotic find for us after escaping NY and South FL. (And Tillamook.)

But I do like that flavor.

I'll check out the ingredients next time I'm buying ice cream.

Didn't mean for the color match to detract from the OP.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You say that like you believe the PC is anything but a label on the box of some guns with unique features. Maybe someone who knows the inside of the factory will say different, but there's damn little evidence of it out here.

Um, no. I realize sarcasm is hard recognize on the internet sometimes, but that was the reason for putting the quotes around Performance Center.

I concur about ice cream- should be cream, sugar and flavoring and some add-ins, although I think the BB is a nice color match for my Tiffany Blue JMCK holster.

Looks good to me. Might do the same to my 66.
    Are both of the K's pictured model 19 carry comps?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Great looking guns.

How do the grips work with full power loads? Ahrends right?

Eta, my m64 with standard barrel is my tinkering gun. I round butted it and trimmed the hammer. Such a slick little gun. I might try to checker the top of the hammer next. Or maybe shave the trigger guard...
    Last edited by 03RN; 01-12-2020 at 04:46 PM.

I've bobbed and polished both MIM (627-5) and forged (64-5) hammers and it was just as easy to do either. The MIM hammer polished up just as nicely as the forged one.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyank33 View Post
    Looks good to me. Might do the same to my 66.
    Are both of the K's pictured model 19 carry comps?
    The one in the baby blue holster is a 3" 13 - see full pic below.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Great looking guns.

How do the grips work with full power loads? Ahrends right?

Eta, my m64 with standard barrel is my tinkering gun. I round butted it and trimmed the hammer. Such a slick little gun. I might try to checker the top of the hammer next. Or maybe shave the trigger guard...
    Spegels.

They hurt with full power 125s or 158s, but you can hold on to them. The moderate recoil loads like GS 125s or Gold Dot Magnums are much more pleasant. I have the CC sighted in with the 135 Gold Dots, and the 13 does well enough with them as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Norville; 01-12-2020 at 05:55 PM.

PF is a weird place. You open a thread about revolvers and dudes and arguing about ice cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List