Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug out holster that plays nice with backpack/waist belt

Site Supporter

Bug out holster that plays nice with backpack/waist belt

Hey guys,

I’m looking for a Glock 19 light compatible holster that plays nice with a backpack that has a waist belt (mystery ranch assault pack). Intended use is bug out hiking in the event of a disaster in my urban environment. My plan is to walk out with my wife and a 20lb backpack. My normal carry position is 4:00 behind the hip IWB. I doubt this would work with a backpack, especially one with any sort of waist belt. I’ve so far been looking at safariland. I doubt a concealable holster would work but I’m open to suggestions. Belt is 1.5”. I’m open to all suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hey guys,

I’m looking for a Glock 19 light compatible holster that plays nice with a backpack that has a waist belt (mystery ranch assault pack). Intended use is bug out hiking in the event of a disaster in my urban environment. My plan is to walk out with my wife and a 20lb backpack. My normal carry position is 4:00 behind the hip IWB. I doubt this would work with a backpack, especially one with any sort of waist belt. I’ve so far been looking at safariland. I doubt a concealable holster would work but I’m open to suggestions. Belt is 1.5”. I’m open to all suggestions.
    Hill People Gear Kit Bag.

If you're going to have a backpack with waistbelt on, then wearing the pistol on the chest makes more sense. Very concealable to. A number of us have used the HPG Kit Bags for all kinds of outdoors things. I use when when working in the field.

I actually keep my aiwb when backpacking. My belt fits behind and doesn't hinder my draw.

For owb i like safariland with a mid drop

Site Supporter
    A Hill People Kit Bag works well with a rucksack. A fanny pack would also work. You could also try to not use the ruck’s belt; remove belt or secure it out of the way. Since you said Bug out maybe a safariland ALS thigh holster. Try to adjust it to ride more towards your hip and not your knee. A cheap solution would be a used police duty holster off EBay. The ruck belt could go in the jacket slot. I just bought a nice used Gordon Davis duty holster for a beretta 92 for ten bucks off eBay

Site Supporter
    I’ll keep the hill people bag in mind. Downsides for me might be the 95 degree 95% humidity summers. Also I’d like to keep close to my normal draw stroke if possible to avoid massive retraining. Draw speed could be a factor in human predator scenarios in my urban setting.

This horse has recently been flogged. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ckpack-holster

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    This horse has recently been flogged. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ckpack-holster
    Respectfully, that’s a different horse. Different requirements.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

If none of the above is appealing I think any safariland with the their quick detach would work well. Have a mounting base on the pack belt and then either a drop leg or paddle base. Just click in and go.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Well, it's not very tactical, but a fanny pack works really well on long hikes with a backpack.

User Tag List