Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The USN vs. the UFOs

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Ah, well I typically need little to no coaxing to share an opinion. You can just ask.

I find it highly unlikely that we are the sole intelligent life in the infinite. If we overlap with anyone else in both time and space is another matter. I'll require some proof on the matter, so as of now I don't believe we've been visited. I certainly don't believe the US Gov't would be able to keep it's collective mouth shut if they had proof.
    I could not agree more.

I don't want to provide a quote that can be taken out of context, but the Drake Equation strongly supports the idea of intelligent life occurring elsewhere in our galaxy. An extraordinarily small chance event will eventually occur if you roll the dice enough times. That said, space is big, and the odds that humanity will ever encounter intelligent life are doomed by our understanding of physics*, and the same vast numbers that make life somewhere, sometime likely. Faster than light travel would change things somewhat, but...

My personal theory (supported by the energy requirements associated with interstellar travel) is that any first contact event is going to be apparent worldwide and traumatic for humanity at best, like Cortez arrival in Mexico. The idea that aliens would travel however far and spend quite a bit of effort avoiding notice just to play peek-a-boo games is hard to support.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaku.edc View Post
    A Navy pilot took a photo of a ufo with his personal cell phone.

Attachment 64035
    Actual photo is not nearly as impressive. See: https://www.thedebrief.org/leaked-ph...ial-phenomena/

Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post

The numbers are genuinely astronomical. I believe that I once saw a statistic that even if there were 10,000 intelligent species in our galaxy, each could occupy 10,000 star systems before they would bump into each other.
    That is a statistical average, not a deterministic certainty. Also, it assumes a random distribution, which IMO, is a big assumption without specific justification.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Actual photo is not nearly as impressive. See: https://www.thedebrief.org/leaked-ph...ial-phenomena/

That’s not the photo that is being referenced, per the article:

Name:  B86FCC26-0E14-4139-8092-E5925D7E700F.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  34.8 KB
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

They can cross interstellar space, but can't avoid being seen by coonasses, desert rats, Appalachian hillbillys, or radar.

Plus, they crash. And are oddly fixated on anal probing.

Huh.

On the idea of intelligent life visiting earth and choosing to remain unnoticed:

Theoretically the same reason that I don’t take off my tux jacket after a recital, put some Gorecki on the CD player, make myself a Manhattan with high west double rye, and then try to announce my presence to a squirrel and a crow fighting over an acorn outside my front window.

JMO. Assuming aliens were visiting, of course.

I worked with a guy who said he was abducted by aliens. Off work he could sometimes be found at the grocery trying to convince the employees to free the bottled water.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Otaku.edc View Post
    That’s not the photo that is being referenced, per the article:

Name:  B86FCC26-0E14-4139-8092-E5925D7E700F.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  34.8 KB
    My fault, then. I still bet when it's released it's closer to that photo then the artist's rendition.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    On the idea of intelligent life visiting earth and choosing to remain unnoticed:

Theoretically the same reason that I don’t take off my tux jacket after a recital, put some Gorecki on the CD player, make myself a Manhattan with high west double rye, and then try to announce my presence to a squirrel and a crow fighting over an acorn outside my front window.

JMO. Assuming aliens were visiting, of course.
    I gotta say...that does sound like quite an evening.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    I gotta say...that does sound like quite an evening.
    It happens in that exact fashion, from time to time. The only thing missing is aliens. And hookers. And alien hookers...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List