Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Protection From Theft While At The Range

With rare exceptions (travel, training, etc.) I only shoot at the two ranges where I'm a RSO.

One of those is a members-only rifle and pistol range, locked gate, always two RSO's on duty and they stay on the line and keep an eye on things.

The other is a 25-yard pistol range, open to the public but only open for four hours per week and again with a RSO on duty and in practice 90% of the shooters are regulars. At this one there's the added feature since it's a relatively small line with only 10 slots that the RSO pulls a barrier across at every break... so it's really obvious if anyone even thinks about going too close to the line.

What may be less obvious at both places is that there are pretty much always other RSOs present either to shoot or just to be voluntary backup even when it's not their duty day. Not unusual for there to be half a dozen of us present. There's a fair amount of unspoken communication: The lead RSO has to devote some attention to a shooter having a technical glitch, and someone else steps behind the line to watch until thats all sorted out. Most of the shooters never notice, they think someone is just taking a break. Occasionally it gets more formal. Once the duty RSO pointed out to two of us a slightly sketchy guy he wanted to keep a close eye on, and we'd both already seen him and both stepped back to have a clear line of sight. In that case the guy turned out to be OK, just inexperienced and nervous, but better to be safe.

There are a couple of other places in the region where I absolutely will not shoot or even visit, not ever. Too many shooters, most inexperienced, little or no supervision, poor sight lines.

When I was in college the two main ranges we used were in national forests. The only time I recall going there alone was when I had bought a Remington 700p thinking I was going to be a “sniper” and took it to the 200 yard range in one of the forests. I trucked my ass down 200 yards, turned around, and saw a car pull into the parking lot. It occurred to me then that they could have easily shot me with my own gun and took all my shit.

After that, my range security plan is don’t go alone to a range where you think you need a range security plan.

I suppose I have not thought about this.

But generally I have a Ruger LCR in my pocket. Which, now I think about it, I usually also take with me to the range to shoot drills etc. with one of the guns I intend to shoot that day. The LCR rides along. I may or may not shoot a couple cylinders of .38 and then put it back, for purposes of function checking the LCR. But that's not often. Since it's my dog walking or taking out the trash gun, sometimes I don't even notice I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
    ... and maybe shoot you and take your car (as the Miami shootout pair, Platt and Matix did to get their guns.
    Yep, that story resonates with me, a lot.

Like as I recall when one of my favorite trainers relates the story in class: it's nothing personal, they just need your car, and you need to be dead.

User Tag List