Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Protection From Theft While At The Range

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    ...... a chromed out Lincoln Navigator with dark tint and big chrome wheels and chrome trim and all that kinda shit. It's blaring mariachi music
    Yeah, that's a bad sign. A similar vehicle drove up while I and a buddy were shooting at a trap range. The dude in this mariachimobile pulled in to a bay, went to his rear hatch and came out with a pistol grip shotgun (this was California). Which was evidently loaded because he started shooting the trap house with buckshot. We were thinking WTF? and getting ready to head for cover. Then the RSO came out yelling STOP STOP! The guy got back in his vehicle and left. RSO called the plates in, but who knows if that amounted to anything.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Yeah, that's a bad sign. A similar vehicle drove up while I and a buddy were shooting at a trap range. The dude in this mariachimobile pulled in to a bay, went to his rear hatch and came out with a pistol grip shotgun (this was California). Which was evidently loaded because he started shooting the trap house with buckshot. We were thinking WTF? and getting ready to head for cover. Then the RSO came out yelling STOP STOP! The guy got back in his vehicle and left. RSO called the plates in, but who knows if that amounted to anything.
    The trap house?!?! Good friggin grief.

Today was cold and sunny so I decided to hit the outdoor range close to my house after the kids left for school. When I arrived, there was a pickup parked, tailgate down, and several long guns placed on a blanket, and no one in sight. Kinda creeped me out a little. I walked over toward the truck to see if the guy was on the other side or maybe slumped over in the cab or something, nothing. I called out to see if anyone would respond, turns out the guy was taking a shit on the other side of the berm. I guess the turbo shits hit him so fast he didn't have time to secure them, he's lucky it was an honest dirtbag such as myself that came along.

Protection From Theft While At The Range

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    ... the turbo shits hit him so fast ...
    Is there a brown pin for that? @Mr_White
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

At the range I attend I am issued a key so I can get in anytime in daylight. Other people may be there or not.

I always keep a loaded handgun on me while practicing that is not the practice gun. Usually cross draw.

And I keep my eyes pealed. Never know when an ex-con who needs a gun decides to take one by just crossing the fence and while you are patching targets they get your gun... and maybe shoot you and take your car (as the Miami shootout pair, Platt and Matix did to get their guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    turns out the guy was taking a shit on the other side of the berm. I guess the turbo shits hit him so fast he didn't have time to secure them,
    Probably stopped at McDonalds on the way to the range.

Back to the original thread topic: I have my pocket carried pistol always and If I'm practicing with it, I have another loaded, holstered pistol. And that's in my private back yard range.

If I'm not carrying an "extra" pistol, just for personal protection, I ensure I have a loaded magazine of carry rounds or a full speed loader for the pistol I am shooting, somewhere easily accessible on my person, where I'm not going to use it for practice shooting.

If I was shooting a carry or duty gun, I make a habit of restoring that gun to its "street" condition and securing it on my person before I start to pack up or clean up, as my very first step.

I shoot in the desert. Sometimes alone. Sometimes to train sometimes to perform load development or sight ins. I go every week. I just cannot go to the local range and deal with the RO's who want to espouse all of their fake navy seal/special forces knowledge or nosy old farts who would rather ask you ten thousand questions about your gear rather than focus on the range and shooting.

Here are the steps I take:

I always make sure I choose a location where I can see anyone coming for a long distance. I already have three locations dependent upon range. One is a dead end wash. One way in one way out.

I always wear my ears with the volume turned up so I can hear vehicles or someone walking up on me.

I always carry a handgun on my person loaded.

I always carry my ar slinged ready to rock when I go down range to setup or change targets. When I am shooting it is in front of me or to my side on my range table in my field of view.

To date I have NEVER had anyone roll up on me to observe or talk. However if I did I would just start to pack up and leave. I have seen shady individuals drive by. I always stop what I am doing and wait until they are clear. I always stop shooting when a vehicle is getting close and stay frosty until they are long gone.

edit: that was weird, I thought I was posting in the Paul Harrel thread..

I enjoy watching his presentations, but the more I watch of him the more I've come to realize his is an unnecessarily confrontational shit magnet. Latest "anecdote" that he "really doesn't enjoy talking about" at ~8:38

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Back in the day, I shot at a range on Federal land, It was also used by ship's forces from a local Navy base who needed to do qualifications when they couldn't get onto the base range. (That happened a lot,)

Anyway, when I used it, if anyone else showed up, I packed my stuff up and went home. I began doing that when I called a cease fire so I could replace my targets. The guy at the other end of the range acknowledged it. While I was downrange, he began shooting. When I asked him why, he said he though the horizontal distance between his targets and mine was safe enough. I left.

When I joined a gun club some years ago, the range had a locked gate. But the fence was a single strand of barbed wire; enough to post signs but no real deterrent. I always carried a concealed handgun. If I was on the rifle range, I took the bolt with me downrange (or the trigger assembly for my M-1). I tried, as much as possible, to have a shooting buddy with me. If I didn't, I kept to the same procedure: Somebody else shows up whom I don't know, I went home.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List