Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Protection From Theft While At The Range

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Might be a good thread all it's own...
    It certainly would be. I have much to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    ...Paul Harrell ended up in a gunfight with some idiots very similar to what Clusterfrack described.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    This reminds me of an event almost nearly exactly the same, except it was myself, my daugther when she was 8 or 9, another girl of the same age, and her dad.

We went for a weekend father daughter campout at Kiser Lake. We had already turned in for the night but I was still awake in the sleeping bag when dickheads in a truck show up lighting us up. I crawled out of the tent with a pistol at low ready and the fuckbags drove off at full speed.

Needless to say I didn't sleep at all that night.
    A truck is a deadly weapon. I think most people would reasonably fear for their lives if this happened to them. I sure did. When the guy rolled up feet away from my tent and revved the engine, that satisfied means, opportunity, and intent. If he hadn't reversed, I was ready to start shooting.

@Alpha Sierra I can only imagine how having your little girls in the tent amplified the stress and urgency of the situation.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Banned
    The most I've ever heard Paul Harrell say about his incident was that he got in an altercation and ended up having to kill somebody. He doesn't give details in his videos. The following is from a newspaper story.

Mills and fellow fisherman Jerrod Mitchell got into Mills' pickup to drive over to the restroom, located near the campsite chosen by the Harrells, Williams said. While Mitchell was in the restroom, Mills walked over to the Harrells' camp and, Harrell later told deputies, invited them to go to the bar. The Harrells declined and later said that nothing about the conversation seemed hostile.

Williams said that Mitchell also said nothing seemed amiss and, being in the restroom, heard nothing of the conversation.

When Mitchell came out of the restroom, both men got in Mills' truck and, at that point, Mills turned and drove straight through the Harrells' campfire, Williams said. He them made a circle and headed straight back toward the Harrells' pickup - and Harrells' wife, who was behind it.

At that point, Harrell fired six shots with a semi-automatic rifle at Mills, inflicting fatal wounds. Williams said that the remaining members of Mills camp heard the shots, ran over to see what had happened, and then called law enforcement.

Harrell vowed the shooting was in self-defense, as he believed his wife's life to be in danger, and Williams said the evidence at the scene seemed to corroborate that
    https://www.wallowa.com/news/harrell...a84fcdc1a.html

© Copyright 2020 Wallowa County Chieftain, 209 N.W. First St. Enterprise, OR | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
    Powered by BLOX Content Management System from TownNews.com.

Who is Paul Harrell?

Who is Paul Harrell?
    YouTube video creator
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Who is Paul Harrell?
    Skip to ~2 minutes:

At both of my gun clubs we have gates with RFID access cards and you have to keep your membership badge on at all times. It's not a foolproof plan but if you see someone walking around without a membership badge it does get your attention.

My main concern is theft. I live an hour away from both of my gun clubs and I never make any stops until I drop off all my gear at the house. I've seen too many people have their cars broken into while stopping somewhere after leaving a gun range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have at least one loaded handgun on me at all times at the range. If shooting a bolt gun, the bolt comes out and goes with me to retrieve or change a target. I only shoot ARs on the individual bays so I can keep it slung on me as I go downrange.
    Our outdoor complex has an electronic access card controlled gate and I watch behind me after pulling through to see if anyone runs the gate.
    Not aware of any issues at our place regarding theft or suspicious persons.

The club I belong to is very close off the road. The strangest thing that has happened to me there was when I was with a friend. We had been shooting for a few hours, and when we went to change targets I could hear the faint sound of somebody's voice through my electronic ear pro. Getting back to the line witch is relatively close to the road I hear a voice again but this time I can decipher words. "FUCK YOU" my friend and I both turn twords the road. A man on a bike is standing on the side of the road closest to the range looking directly at us and just screaming fuck you and flipping us off. We looked at him.. looked at our slung rifles and decided the best course of action was to pay him no mind. Still kinda strange tho.

One more story, this took place at a public pit. Popular for shooting as welk as ATV and dirt bike riding as its connected to a network of class 6 roads. I was doing some rifle shooting alone (or so I thought) to about 250 yards. I think I may have knocked the steel over i was shooting at so i went down range to stand it back up. As I get down to my target I hear the sound of dirt bikes, not uncommon so it didn't set off any alarms...till I turned around. Two people riding dirt bikes had come from the woods down one of the berms and headed straight twords my car. They stopped and started looking inside the car through the windows. Just like some of you like to keep a loaded pistol I like to keep a loaded ar mag in my back pocket if I'm doing rifle stuff. I had my pistol as well but I was probably 300 yards from my car. So I see them and start yelling, they look at me just in time to see me load and charge my rifle, i never pointed it at them but had it at a low ready as i moved twords them. They took off once they realized the special situation they got themselves into. The thing that bothers me the most about it is they had to have been watching me for a while. Not only that but watching me from the woods on top of a berm I shoot into. Still kinda gives me chills.

User Tag List