Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Protection From Theft While At The Range

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you wrote a book about your career, it'd be interesting as hell. You could also load it with bad puns and inflict those on a wider audience.
    I think the same applies to most of us, (but for the bad puns). None of us gets through this life without a few stories to tell.

I enjoy writing, but I think I prefer telling the stories to friends, online or in the non-virtual world, more than I'm inclined to set them down for profit.

Appreciate your saying so, though. It means a lot. (Bad puns and all.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    all of the above + I make sure to lock the gate after I enter club property (per club rules). If someone wants to join me they have to know the combination and are presumably a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you wrote a book about your career, it'd be interesting as hell. You could also load it with bad puns and inflict those on a wider audience.
    We keep telling him this, but he's like my wife and neither listen.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    A local range had a rifle stolen laying on the bench while the the owner went down range to change a target. If I am alone I try to go during the week to get the range to myself. I was spoiled having access to my dept range. I want to build a back yard range

Out shooting on BLM land in the desert I pretty much take the same precautions I do when camping.
    Handgun on me (19X), 1/4 mile capable rifle within arms reach (usually my MR762 but I'll take the Steyr Scout instead if I'll be hiking around very much).
    Very few criminals out here are looking to mess with people shooting. The biggest issue would be if you happen to come across them while they're doing criminal stuff.

Example: I was riding my dual-sport motorcycle way out in the middle of nowhere between Dell City and Van Horn Tx. (close to where the Blue Origin rocket launch/landing area is now).
    I came around/over a couple small hills and about 1/2 mile ahead were two Suburbans parked back to back and several people standing around.
    I immediately turned around and unassed the area at a speed that only a motorcycle can maintain off-road.
    Sure they might have been BBQ tailgating, but I doubt it. And I sure wasn't going to invite myself to the party.
    No rifle at the time, but I was wishing I had one (impetus for me buying the Ruger SR-556 take down AR).
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I normally keep at least one loaded gun on my person at all times when out shooting. I値l have the gun I知 shooting, which I try to load up at the end of each string of fire prior to going downrange like @BobM mentioned. I値l also have my G26 in my pocket. If I知 shooting my AIWB gun, then the G26 is loaded and concealed. If I知 shooting the G26 out of my pocket, then the AIWB gun is loaded and concealed. I started doing this after learning about the 1986 FBI Miami firefight.

If I知 shooting a long gun then my handgun remains loaded at all times. When shooting on public land I値l generally keep the long gun slung when going down range. I don稚 like the idea of setting it down and walking away and I can稚 lock it in my car because the spot I知 shooting at is a bit of a walk from the vehicle. I keep my electronic ear pro on and active like @JodyH does.

If I知 shooting a handgun that doesn稚 have a serious role for me, like my Beretta 92, then I likely don稚 own a holster for it. I try to take it down range with me the same way I do with the long guns.

I知 waitlisted for membership at a nearby range right now. The range has a locked gate that members are required to lock behind them when leaving and entering. There are several action pistol bays which members can drive their vehicles onto. Once I get accepted, I値l be able to have my car a few feet away from me so I値l be able to lock up any non-serious handguns prior to heading down range instead of having to find a way to carry them with me.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Protection From Theft While At The Range

When I知 camping in the boondocks for some ELR shooting, my group has a security plan. We want to be aware of anyone in the area for their safety as well.

One time I arrived the night before the rest of the group and assholes in a big pickup drove up to my tent with high beams on at around 1am, and gunned their engine. When I bailed out in my long underwear holding an AR with a WML, they slammed into reverse and left me in a cloud of dust. Now I choose my camp sites more carefully.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-12-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    When I知 camping in the boondocks for some ELR shooting, my group has a security plan. We want to be aware of anyone in the area for their safety as well.

One time I arrived the night before the rest of the group and assholes in a big pickup drove up to my tent with high beams on at around 1am, and gunned their engine. When I bailed out in my long underwear holding an AR with a WML, they slammed into reverse and left me in a cloud of dust. Now I choose my camp sites more carefully.
    I always set my tent up on the backside of my vehicle and try to have terrain features or trees on the other three sides.
    It only takes one or two sketchy situations in the middle of nowhere to make you take campsite security seriously.
    Might be a good thread all it's own...
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I always set my tent up on the backside of my vehicle and try to have terrain features or trees on the other three sides.
    It only takes one or two sketchy situations in the middle of nowhere to make you take campsite security seriously.
    Might be a good thread all it's own...
    It may well be. Paul Harrell ended up in a gunfight with some idiots very similar to what Clusterfrack described.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    This reminds me of an event almost nearly exactly the same, except it was myself, my daugther when she was 8 or 9, another girl of the same age, and her dad.

We went for a weekend father daughter campout at Kiser Lake. We had already turned in for the night but I was still awake in the sleeping bag when dickheads in a truck show up lighting us up. I crawled out of the tent with a pistol at low ready and the fuckbags drove off at full speed.

Needless to say I didn't sleep at all that night.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-12-2020 at 04:58 PM.

User Tag List